C4 Forums | Control4

Outdoor remote options

SY3

We have an outdoor area that we're adding.  It will have a SR-260 remote.  Wondering what options we have to keep the remote safe from the weather?  The area is covered and we could bring it in but I'm sure the kids will forget and then it will rain and ruin the remote.  Suggestions?

You just answered your own question.  Whether it's a 250 or 260 is quite immaterial, they all will die under adverse conditions.  I just purchased two new 260s to replace 250s that were indoors and not necessarily treated poorly.  My first worry, in an outdoor situ, is corrosion.  You can go from there.  Just be vigilant about either housing it outdoors or bringing it indoors when not in use outdoors.

Glue a flat magnet to the battery door of the remote.

Establish a place inside where the remote is to be put back too, install a window style security sensor (mount under a table, or a recess style, etc,).

Have composer check the remote is put back after couple hours, or specific time, play announcement or push notification if it's missing.

How about one of the Card Access 5 button mini remotes? They are pretty water resistant from what I've been told.

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/mini-remote-control/user-guide/english/latest/mini-remote-control-user-guide-rev-a.pdf

You could program two buttons for volume, two for channel up/down and the fifth to cycle between sources with a bit of programming.

5 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

How about one of the Card Access 5 button mini remotes? They are pretty water resistant from what I've been told.

https://www.control4.com/docs/product/mini-remote-control/user-guide/english/latest/mini-remote-control-user-guide-rev-a.pdf

You could program two buttons for volume, two for channel up/down and the fifth to cycle between sources with a bit of programming.

They are junk.  The large button sticks and wears out the battery.  Not remotely close to being  water resistant as there are no gaskets.  Not a replacement for navigating music...

• 10 months later...
On 7/15/2017 at 11:30 PM, chiAVguy said:

I've used these cases from poly case for a few applications including outdoor remote storage. I've also used them to mount a touchscreen outdoors. Protects from the elements very well

IMG_0100.PNG

Can you please provide a purchase link? 

Archived