C4 Forums | Control4

Text to Speech Driver (Web Interface, Control4 App, Voice Messages & More)

21 minutes ago, jfh said:

How does this differ from Cinegration’s Voice Agent driver?  It looks like you have another voice option.  Anything else?

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/voice-agent

I've not used that driver but it seems like it doesn't allow you to enter your own text directly from the C4 app, On Screen navs, T3 or through a web interface. There's also no limit on the characters per day. You can use as many as you want - the only limit is what you want to pay for the APIs and personally I feel most installations will be good to go with the free keys.

Both our text to speech engines have different languages as well as speeds to use (and more engines will be coming in the future).

So my dealer downloaded a 72 hour trial licence for me and this really is a great driver and I will be purchasing it for both my Beach house and my main home.

When I first joined the forums, I got in to a little trouble for saying that the Advanced Custom buttons took us out of the dark ages in to the Present and StartHere! (a great driver in its day) took us into the future.  What I was commenting on was the fantastic evolution of drivers and the great impact of competition and alternative thinking.

I feel the same way about this text to speech driver as I did about StartHere! A great driver with some phenomenal features and a wonderful user interface (on the app also!). I have previously raved about other text to speech drivers and was a Beta tester on one (which I loved) but the ability to type messages on screen means that this one takes the cake (for now).

I have set up a voice messages room and used 5 of @alanchow Yes/no icons to determine what areas (main Bedroom, kids bedrooms, downstairs, outside and theatre being my 5 areas - between them covering 14 of the 16 zones of audio we have) to play the announcement in and then a single copy of @Shivam Paw TTS Driver.  The announcement then kicks of in one area after another for each area chosen. I guess that I could use a lot of copies of the driver (5 factorial or 15 for those numerically minded) to allow for any combination of these areas and play the announcement simultaneously in the relevant areas in this way... but the current setup was quick to do, works flawlessly and gives the users lots of flexibility even if it takes a minute to play, say, a 12 second announcement in 5 areas.  I now need to implement the “do not disturb” driver (I think it is actually an Announcements Experience Button or some such) or the kids will be waking me at all hours!

14 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

So my dealer downloaded a 72 hour trial licence for me and this really is a great driver and I will be purchasing it for both my Beach house and my main home.

When I first joined the forums, I got in to a little trouble for saying that the Advanced Custom buttons took us out of the dark ages in to the Present and StartHere! (a great driver in its day) took us into the future.  What I was commenting on was the fantastic evolution of drivers and the great impact of competition and alternative thinking.

I feel the same way about this text to speech driver as I did about StartHere! A great driver with some phenomenal features and a wonderful user interface (on the app also!). I have previously raved about other text to speech drivers and was a Beta tester on one (which I loved) but the ability to type messages on screen means that this one takes the cake (for now).

I have set up a voice messages room and used 5 of @alanchow Yes/no icons to determine what areas (main Bedroom, kids bedrooms, downstairs, outside and theatre being my 5 areas - between them covering 14 of the 16 zones of audio we have) to play the announcement in and then a single copy of @Shivam Paw TTS Driver.  The announcement then kicks of in one area after another for each area chosen. I guess that I could use a lot of copies of the driver (5 factorial or 15 for those numerically minded) to allow for any combination of these areas and play the announcement simultaneously in the relevant areas in this way... but the current setup was quick to do, works flawlessly and gives the users lots of flexibility even if it takes a minute to play, say, a 12 second announcement in 5 areas.  I now need to implement the “do not disturb” driver (I think it is actually an Announcements Experience Button or some such) or the kids will be waking me at all hours!

I’m glad you like it and if you have any feedback or requests be sure to let me know :D 

I see you have the same problem with the TTS icon not displaying properly as I do. Hopefully an easy fix with updating icon files in the driver.

Interested in the Yes/No buttons.  What is the logic/programming behind them?  I understand they control Boolean variables but what does Yes or No indicate to the user in the UI?

8 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

The “yes/no” controls which rooms the announcement is played in. If they are all chosen as “yes” then the announcement plays in all rooms.  As I have it at present, the announcement only plays in the girls bedrooms.

But you said it doesn’t play in them simultaneously? It plays in one, then the other, so on and so forth? I’d be curious to see the logic you employed on the back end. 

17 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

But you said it doesn’t play in them simultaneously? It plays in one, then the other, so on and so forth? I’d be curious to see the logic you employed on the back end. 

The logic is extremely basic at present. Namely:

If TVs is true then

Send toast message (annex4 LG driver) to TVs using the last message variable (from Shivam’s TTS driver).

If Main Bedroom is true then

play Main Bedroom announcement (set up as per the driver instructions and this uses the main bedroom, bathroom and balcony zones)

Delay 15 seconds 

if girls bedrooms is true then

Play Girls Bedroom announcement (set up as per the driver instructions using the same driver wav file so it plays the same announcement just 15 second later). This plays across 4 zones.

delay 15 seconds

Etc.

I could probably do a single announcement across all 16 zones that I have and use the Announcements Experience button driver to mute zones that are not chosen BUT, I am a bit lazy AND, I’ve never had success playing an announcement across more than 7 or 8 zones consistently.  

1 hour ago, jfh said:

I see you have the same problem with the TTS icon not displaying properly as I do. Hopefully an easy fix with updating icon files in the driver.

Interested in the Yes/No buttons.  What is the logic/programming behind them?  I understand they control Boolean variables but what does Yes or No indicate to the user in the UI?

Aha! I've found the issue and it will be fixed in the next release :)

And just like that, Version 3 is released.

Change Log:

• Added ability to inject variables into typed text with { ProxyID::Variable Name } syntax
  • Fixed icon issue with media service
  • Better error handling for invalid Google Cloud API Key

Be sure to refresh navs for the icon fix.

18 minutes ago, Shivam Paw said:

Aha! I've found the issue and it will be fixed in the next release :)

Thanks.

Can you add an item called “Repeat Last Announcement” in the Text to Speech page where you have Execute and View Last?  (I know this can be done in other ways but my wife says it should be on that page.  

Also would be nice to be able specify the mp3 file name in the properties page.

5 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

The “yes/no” controls which rooms the announcement is played in. If they are all chosen as “yes” then the announcement plays in all rooms.  As I have it at present, the announcement only plays as text on he TVs in the House.

I like this idea…and I just had a suggestion for something similar…

So in the next release there will be a new property...

o7z0dMV.png

If you enter a comma separated list then your media service will look like this...

VYQrPAT.png

And then you can change your Announcement File Updated programming to...

o9chPPO.png

And if you created the announcements as you would expect and have them all playing the audio file shown in the driver properties...

You should be able to send text to speech announcements to any room (or group of rooms) from this driver.

:) 

On 7/2/2019 at 11:04 AM, Shivam Paw said:

No, it is only on BWD.

Can u use DriverCentral as well? I have zero issues with all DriverCentral authentication, always on and after a director reboot all drivers works fine

1 hour ago, Amr said:

Can u use DriverCentral as well? I have zero issues with all DriverCentral authentication, always on and after a director reboot all drivers works fine

True. I lose all my authentication keys on Blackwire after a reboot (the keys are still there but need to be set again to get the Director to recognize them and authenticate).  That said, I know Blackwire is working on a driver manager driver (like the one Driver Central has) which will overcome these issues.  I had the privilege of having access to a Beta version of this a few weeks ago and have no doubt it will be great,  

1 hour ago, Shivam Paw said:

I like this idea…and I just had a suggestion for something similar…

So in the next release there will be a new property...

o7z0dMV.png

If you enter a comma separated list then your media service will look like this...

VYQrPAT.png

And then you can change your Announcement File Updated programming to...

o9chPPO.png

And if you created the announcements as you would expect and have them all playing the audio file shown in the driver properties...

You should be able to send text to speech announcements to any room (or group of rooms) from this driver.

:) 

This is phenomenal! The only problem is that you have made redundant all the cool programming that I did last night 😂

Version 4 has been released!

Version 4 - (July 04, 2019)

• Added Multi Room Support
  • Added voice gender option for Google Cloud TTS Engine

Version 3 - (July 04, 2019)

• Added ability to inject variables into typed text with { ProxyID::Variable Name } syntax
  • Fixed icon issue with media service
  • Better error handling for invalid Google Cloud API Key

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/control4-text-to-speech/