C4 Forums | Control4

Text to Speech Driver (Web Interface, Control4 App, Voice Messages & More)

Is there a maximum length for an Announcement, either in Control4, or via the Google Text to Speech API? 

I'm finding that I can make them long enough where they're being truncated, but I'm not sure if it's coming from Google or Control4...

It's definitely a "time" limit, because if I speed up the announcement speed in TTS, I can get more words spoken of the same text.

Just now, dw886 said:

Is there a maximum length for an Announcement, either in Control4, or via the Google Text to Speech API? 

I'm finding that I can make them long enough where they're being truncated, but I'm not sure if it's coming from Google or Control4...

It's definitely a "time" limit, because if I speed up the announcement speed in TTS, I can get more words spoken of the same text.

I believe C4 have a 30 second time limit on announcements

2 hours ago, dw886 said:

Feature Request: Configurable "Date" formatting for %date% from DD:MM (30 July) to MM:DD (July 30).  We're backwards in the US... 🙂

I just feel that the driver properties will get too clunky if every minor detail like this was made configurable. It’s easy to do, I just don’t know if there’s much point to it?

16 hours ago, Shivam Paw said:

I just feel that the driver properties will get too clunky if every minor detail like this was made configurable. It’s easy to do, I just don’t know if there’s much point to it?

True.  The other option would be to use %month%, %day%, and %year% as variables, and they could be combined any way someone wanted. 

There may be another driver somewhere that has these as a variable, and if so, that would create another way to access these since you can concatenate another variable to a string.

56 minutes ago, dw886 said:

True.  The other option would be to use %month%, %day%, and %year% as variables, and they could be combined any way someone wanted. 

There may be another driver somewhere that has these as a variable, and if so, that would create another way to access these since you can concatenate another variable to a string.

Yeah I’ll probably add some new variables for month, day, year and day of month with the next release 

Is there a way to access the mp3 file that the TTS driver creates?  If an announcement doesn't play (but I get announcement text on a T3 touchscreen), I'd like to be able to determine if it's because the audio file is bad, or if it's the announcement failing in some way.  The announcement is for sure triggered, because the announcement text is on screen, but I'm not getting audio...

Is there any easy way to increase the volume of the wav file returned?

The reason I ask is 2 fold:

1. The volume is low relative to the music we play etc. so I may have music playing at, say 20 and the need to play the announcement at 5.  When the system returns to playing the music, it blasts for a second or two and then returns to volume at 20 and is ok.  The fix for this used to be to use a Stop Delay in the announcements Agent but this does not help in OS3 (not sure why - may be a bug).

2. More importantly, when I play the announcement on any of my T3s (in reality, I have only played with this for fun and will probably never use it in real life), the volume is too low even when set to 90.

2 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Is there any easy way to increase the volume of the wav file returned?

The reason I ask is 2 fold:

1. The volume is low relative to the music we play etc. so I may have music playing at, say 20 and the need to play the announcement at 5.  When the system returns to playing the music, it blasts for a second or two and then returns to volume at 20 and is ok.  The fix for this used to be to use a Stop Delay in the announcements Agent but this does not help in OS3 (not sure why - may be a bug).

2. More importantly, when I play the announcement on any of my T3s (in reality, I have only played with this for fun and will probably never use it in real life), the volume is too low even when set to 90.

I'll make a note of this - I can see it being useful but it's odd...my announcements play very loudly if I up the volume to more than 50. Different setups of course but I wouldn't think 90% would be too low? It would be interesting to hear the actual WAV file (gotten via SSH) as shown in a previous post to see if that's low.

Did I miss a note indicating that there is a conflict when you popup an announcement (image) on the T3 and try to play a text to speech announcement at the same time?

Looks like the only way to bring back the text to speech again is a controller reboot

1 hour ago, Shivam Paw said:

I'll make a note of this - I can see it being useful but it's odd...my announcements play very loudly if I up the volume to more than 50. Different setups of course but I wouldn't think 90% would be too low? It would be interesting to hear the actual WAV file (gotten via SSH) as shown in a previous post to see if that's low.

50% is perfect on my speakers but on my T3s, even 90% is low.  Not sure why.  I have also never played announcements to T3s before, so I am not sure what is normal. 

14 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

50% is perfect on my speakers but on my T3s, even 90% is low.  Not sure why.  I have also never played announcements to T3s before, so I am not sure what is normal. 

I’ve never tried T3s to be honest but I’d try a normal announcement and see what it’s like on a T3. 

14 hours ago, Cartnj said:

Did I miss a note indicating that there is a conflict when you popup an announcement (image) on the T3 and try to play a text to speech announcement at the same time?

Looks like the only way to bring back the text to speech again is a controller reboot

Does this happen when you play a normal announcement (not using this driver)

• 3 months later...

I've made a couple of videos showcasing the text to speech parts of the driver:

There is also the functionality to record voice messages (up to 30 seconds) so be sure to take a look at the driver demo to get a feel of it! 20% off the driver and all our other drivers until 9th December so hurry!

https://www.blackwiredesigns.com/store/control4-text-to-speech/

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, JSTRONG said:

HI Shivam. This text to speech has been working great for several months. But just recently it stopped working. Is there something I should be looking at to troubleshoot?

Thanks]

Hi

im more than happy to take a look remotely. Can you PM me with your account name and change your dealer to Jooced?

I also have an issue but it has been there since the driver was installed. When choosing listen I can type a message and it plays in the kitchen.  The weather driver announces the weather every morning in the kitchen. However, in all other rooms, I choose listen and type in the message then it either plays over the kitchen speakers or doesn't play in the selected room at all. All other audio sources (sonos, cable boxes,) and audio from watch sources play in their respective rooms with no issue. 

Any ideas?