C4 Forums | Control4

Which Hue driver to use in 2019?

the free driver has some issues, and control is aware, but no eta on fix. 

mostly the lights will just not respond correctly. I have been using for 6 years and up until about 2 years ago it worked flawlessly. I have not used any other driver I believe there is a paid driver out there.

To be a little more clear, my main issues with the free driver are:

* Using the sliders in the OS3 app to dim the lights is not fluent at all - it's very "jumpy" (compared to using the Hue app or other apps that interact with Hue)

* The "multi color" drivers are garbage.  Who wants a separate light slider for RGB?  This is a terrible interface.  For this reason, I just use the single color driver.

* Occasionally (not very often), not all lights will turn on in a scene

Was just wondering if there were any better options out yhere.

Hue (and other 3rd party lighting) is apparently not truly supported in C4 Advanced Lighting anymore apparently. You have to program off of the scene vs having them in the scene.

Homeation/TheDriversLab had a driver, but I'm not even sure they're actively in the business anymore?

That said if you want a better interface for the RGB stuff:

https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/lighting/colour-wheel/

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Hue (and other 3rd party lighting) is apparently not truly supported in C4 Advanced Lighting anymore apparently. You have to program off of the scene vs having them in the scene.

I was not aware of this.  I have individual Hue and RA2 Select loads in Advanced Lighting scenes.  Do you know the technical reason(s) it's no longer supported?  This would be a huge bummer.

23 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

I was not aware of this.  I have individual Hue and RA2 Select loads in Advanced Lighting scenes.  Do you know the technical reason(s) it's no longer supported?  This would be a huge bummer.

Advanced Lighting Scenes are designed solely for Control4 lights (sync scenes) and if you see the commands sent to third party bridges, there will be a lot and they may peg the bridge to where it is slow or nonfunctional.

There's a KB and recommendation for all third party lighting systems to use Advanced Lighting scenes with tracking only, no actions, and to use programming on the activate and deactivate for the scene. Some/most 3rd party drivers have ways to send one command to a group/built in scene.

Thanks - it does make sense.  It's funny.. I did some testing last night, and I don't really have much of a popcorn effect at all using either Advanced Lighting Scenes or triggering the scenes directly from Lutron.  This may be because I'm only controlling a small number of loads at once (5 loads).  Even with triggering the scenes directly from Lutron, I see a popcorn effect in one room, but I think that may be because I'm controlling different types of loads in a single scene (some undercounter LED, some incandessant, some cans, etc).

C4 reasoning is crap. Had hue with years with all individual lights with scenes and they worked great. They even have a group driver for hue so it could still be one command with scenes. Having to manually program off a scene is not intuitive or the level of what c4 is in terms of finesse.

For rgb control there is a free experience button that will go through colors I use this. Or I use random colors on room power.

I think the jumpy parts is issues with os3.0 as I experience this with several components

1 hour ago, Matt Lowe said:

C4 reasoning is crap. Had hue with years with all individual lights with scenes and they worked great. They even have a group driver for hue so it could still be one command with scenes. Having to manually program off a scene is not intuitive or the level of what c4 is in terms of finesse.

For rgb control there is a free experience button that will go through colors I use this. Or I use random colors on room power.

I think the jumpy parts is issues with os3.0 as I experience this with several components

I actually don't see any popcorn effect/delay with triggering individual Hue loads directly from ALS.  If there is any at all, it's minimal.  

Which experience button are you using for the colors?

On 7/30/2019 at 7:07 PM, LollerAgent said:

This would be a huge bummer.

Yes it is.

11 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

C4 reasoning is crap. 

Mhhh. The reasoning is not completely unreasonable - I have seen some minor issues with some of our bigger 3rd party lighting projects. I could see where much larger setups could be a problem. How big of a problem I imagine also depends on what 3rd party lighting.

That said, if Scenes aren't supported, it should be handled differently - ie don't allow adding them to scenes at all to begin with. Of course the fact that it DID work (to whatever degree) for so long makes this that much more painful.

Let's just say I was NOT happy to learn of it.

10 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Which experience button are you using for the colors?

It would be called RGB off the top of my head. It's just a toggle 'bulb' that shows different colors that you pre-program (ie 2 shades of green, blue, red, purple etc).

It's better than tinkering with slider all the time, but it's a far stretch from a color wheel

• 3 months later...

This is an older thread - but there seem to be newer drivers out released 10/24/19. Also, the Hue bridge and bulb firmware updated at roughly the same time. The RGB (Single Lamp Full Color) doesn't work at all - or at least I can't figure it out. Did they break the whole thing?

8 minutes ago, BubbaDuck said:

This is an older thread - but there seem to be newer drivers out released 10/24/19. Also, the Hue bridge and bulb firmware updated at roughly the same time. The RGB (Single Lamp Full Color) doesn't work at all - or at least I can't figure it out. Did they break the whole thing?

I heard they are broken. I can't get any new ones to work, but updating my existing drivers was fine...

Hue is no real solution because :

Control4 doesn't detect changes done via Hue apps - Hue needs 2way communication

Hue bridge/FW doesn't detect if bulbs are switched on/off via hard wired light switches

Those 2 point makes the use of Hue bulbs challenging at best.

Both can be fixed by using a phoscon gateway instead of the Hue bridge but there is no Control4 driver working with the phoscon gateway - it's similar to the Hue bridge but not identical

• 8 months later...

I'm new to Control 4. Have there been any updates on controlling hue bulbs with C4? Any advice on drivers (even third party) would be much appreciated. I just started setting up my controller and my hue bulbs are next to tackle. Thanks!

I'm new to Control 4. Have there been any updates on controlling hue bulbs with C4? Any advice on drivers (even third party) would be much appreciated. I just started setting up my controller and my hue bulbs are next to tackle. Thanks!
Not that I know of. However I ditched Hue as it's basically useless for generell lighting since it is lacking 2 way support and it's laggy as hell with bulb groups - its OK for a couple if lights, but that's it.

• 1 year later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:12 PM, Matt Lowe said:

Hi Matt 

i am on your Patreon. Are You going to do a video on philips hue?  You mention it sometimes in light videos. 

On 9/1/2021 at 9:17 AM, mellie said:

Hi Matt 

i am on your Patreon. Are You going to do a video on philips hue?  You mention it sometimes in light videos. 

We are looking forward to doing a series on Hue there is just a lot to cover. Also wanting to show case how it looks in the home.

Ok Good.  I have over 150 lights/5 hue bridges, you can use me as a test site 😜.

I did find out how to at least use Advanced light scenes to do the % R G B, which I just get off the internet.  But it doesn't seem to be an advantage over just programming the direct color set X Y values. 

Looking forward to the video.  And the Voice scenes #4 was a life saver.  Alexa always confuses her inherent syntax with the "Turn on" Turn off" C4 voice scenes.  To be able to tweak the voice command in a routine works much better.  Thanks for the tip.   If you have a tip  on how to make sure discovering devices (in particular, scenes) with Alexa please pass on.  It's hit and miss.

Thanks

melissa

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.