C4 Forums | Control4

Composer Pro for Home Owners - A path for success

14 hours ago, Jayaredoubleu said:

Good questions!

My main interest would be in what I would refer to as "utility drivers" - these would be drivers that don't interact with any other 3rd party hardware.  

Assuming I could demonstrate the development of a driver (e.g. putting together the business case) - I would then reach out to C4 and ask to be an "authorized driver developer" to get a copy of Composer Pro.   Is that not right?   How do other driver developers get a copy of Composer Pro (when they themselves aren't a dealer and don't service/support C4 systems)

If you you how to develop drivers yourself.   Would it be worth $100 for an hour or two to walk me through what you know? 

I would think the C4 community would be very welcoming to have someone like myself who is excited about Control4 and is eager to either set up a mutually beneficial work arrangement to get a copy of Composer Pro or is willing to pay someone to help learn how to develop drivers! 

Ignore all those telling you it's hard to do. It's relatively easy even without people to help you. I imagine the people who find it hard to do don't have much background in programming (not talking about using composer to do "programming").

I started to document my learning experience of writing drivers to do stuff a couple of years ago, maybe it will give you the basics of what you need to do:

https://c4drivers.wordpress.com

I gave up writing it because I found it easier to do the things I wanted to do using the SOAP Api on my external devices. But it all depends on what you want to do.

• 3 weeks later...

I really think that there should be a way for "hobbyists" to be able to write drivers.  I have written a driver in the past, actually revising an existing driver, which greatly improves my ability to use my home AV system.  If I was allowed to write drivers I would have done more in the past, like writing a Tesla API driver for C4.  But C4 just makes it too difficult.  You shouldn't have to be a dealer to write apps.

Hobbyist-type apps were once quite prevalent in the iPhone universe.

My home AV system is run off of SageTV which used to have a very active base of plugin developers that wrote all sorts of great stuff that made SageTV the best platform for RecordedTV.  

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

I really think that there should be a way for "hobbyists" to be able to write drivers.  I have written a driver in the past, actually revising an existing driver, which greatly improves my ability to use my home AV system.  If I was allowed to write drivers I would have done more in the past, like writing a Tesla API driver for C4.  But C4 just makes it too difficult.  You shouldn't have to be a dealer to write apps.

Hobbyist-type apps were once quite prevalent in the iPhone universe.

My home AV system is run off of SageTV which used to have a very active base of plugin developers that wrote all sorts of great stuff that made SageTV the best platform for RecordedTV.  

They used to have this; it was called the C4 Developer Program. Maybe it still exists?

5 minutes ago, ILoveC4 said:

They used to have this; it was called the C4 Developer Program. Maybe it still exists?

I'm not so sure this is for individual users to do. I signed up to this for a company I worked at to integrate our network kit and it was a process for a company to sign up to.

Contracts had to be signed etc.

On 11/6/2019 at 3:49 PM, RyanE said:

Even at a very high individual sale price, I don't know that Control4 would ever make enough off of the few customers who would want it to even cover the engineering / testing costs.

RyanE

I would think C4 wouldn't loose money if home users could have composer, only dealers. Heck, I would think c4 would make more money as folks who are against a "closed" system would now give c4 a try. And if more folks try...more money to c4. Also more money to dealers from those who try and fail.

4 hours ago, niall said:

I'm not so sure this is for individual users to do. I signed up to this for a company I worked at to integrate our network kit and it was a process for a company to sign up to.

Contracts had to be signed etc.

Well, it WAS for individuals, and it was a $99 fee. I did it and published stuff for sale. Looks like they discontinued it though. 

http://www.4store.com/developer/portal/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.