C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 & Sonos

I currently have sonos across the house with circa 12 zones. The integration with Control4 is not great mainly because you can’t pick music from Spotify etc which means I tend to use ipad’s for control4 although they are not as good as the c4 tablets.  

With the sonos announcement and having a number of amps which will be ‘legacy’, I was looking at alternatives. Any suggestions on whether I should just stick with sonos amps or move to something else?

6 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

What sources / apps / services do you use on Sonos.

I have three playbars which I will leave as is and then multiple ceiling speakers. I would say 90% of the time the speakers are playing something from Spotify. Sometimes tunein radio but that’s it. 

I would just sell all of your sonos and put a matrix and an amp and now you have perfectly integrated music streaming services from control4

I cant tell you how many others have done this including myself. It hurt a little to ditch my sonos but once I started using c4 to interact with the music services in muliple zones the pain went away

I would just sell all of your sonos and put a matrix and an amp and now you have perfectly integrated music streaming services from control4

I cant tell you how many others have done this including myself. It hurt a little to ditch my sonos but once I started using c4 to interact with the music services in muliple zones the pain went away

This.

If looking to save money, the legacy 16x16 matrix is still a active product on OS3 and will sort out source distribution cheaply.

Similarly the 8 and 4 amps but any amp will do.

Doing it right with modern kit would be the triad matrix and amps.

5 hours ago, SMHarman said:

This.

If looking to save money, the legacy 16x16 matrix is still a active product on OS3 and will sort out source distribution cheaply.

Similarly the 8 and 4 amps but any amp will do.

Doing it right with modern kit would be the triad matrix and amps.

I just did this also with the advice of this forum and it was such an easy fix and is working awesome.

12 hours ago, JSTRONG said:

This is mostly used by guests or my kids that mainly use Spotify. For me, I just launch deezer , pandora or Napster since I Have all 3. 

So your saying you have 4 paid for music services? I can't fathom why you would need so many different ones. Is ther something on Napster you listen to frequentyly that cant be found on Deezer for example?

But you should really sell all the SONOS while you can (except the sound bars) and get a Control4 Matrix and Amp(s). Best solution for sure. Probably your most cost effective as well.

So your saying you have 4 paid for music services? I can't fathom why you would need so many different ones. Is ther something on Napster you listen to frequentyly that cant be found on Deezer for example?

But you should really sell all the SONOS while you can (except the sound bars) and get a Control4 Matrix and Amp(s). Best solution for sure. Probably your most cost effective as well.
I have two (Napster and Pandora) and spent Friday pissed off that Napster had not dropped the new PSB album when the competing services had.

I also get kicked off Napster on my phone when someone starts a stream at home.

I spent hundreds / thousands on Cds a year before streaming. Even 4 $~10 services a month is less than 3 new Cds a month

39 minutes ago, SMHarman said:

I spent hundreds / thousands on Cds a year before streaming. Even 4 $~10 services a month is less than 3 new Cds a month

I got a few as well. I have SiriusXM (so its in my work van as well as tied in with C4 at home) and I also have Google Play because my friend has a family plan and lets me use it for free. But without a doubt if he dropped me from that family plan I would get Spotify.

The Sirius integration is nice. I like having buttons on my Keypad Dimmers to start radio stations and stuff. And I hate hopping in my car and messing with my phone to get something playing, having the SXM built in is great. But it's not so great for listening to specific tracks or artists. 

I might take a look at Tidal but I like really niche EDM music and Spotify has some of the most underground, never before heard of artists and I love that. I also like the daily/weekly playlists and the ability to follow artists and such and see when they come out with something new. Google Play is kind of weak as they dont recommend good stuff, finding decent playlists can be hard. But if its mainstream stuff (Like the new Eminem album) they will have it day one which is nice. Just wish the spotify integration was better, not C4's fault its Spotify that doesnt want to play nice. Also the Spotify app for PC is great. (not sure if they even have a google play app for PC?)

Music streaming is now like Video streaming, you'll need multiple subs to get what you want (Prime, Netflix, Plus, Crave....) Its definitely getting out of hand though.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.