C4 Forums | Control4

Apple TV 4K via C4 won’t accept 4K settings

tigerap

Hi Folks, hoping someone can assist me with an issue.

I have a 4K tv, 4th gen AppleTv, Amp in a rack all connected and managed using C4.

I recently purchased a 4K Apple TV(ATV) connected okay, but I can’t change the resolution setting of ATV to 4K. It tries then reverts back to 1080p. 

if I connect the ATV direct to TV I can change res setting to 4K...so rules out the TV..

any suggestions?

thanks in advance

make sure all hdmi cables are 4k capable, and all devices must be 4k capable as well. older devices also may be 4k but certain ports were 4k, not all ports. then check the settings in your devices to make sure 4k is turned on. you could also connect each wire to the tv directly to test the hdmi's, then work work backwards to find the culprit causing your issue

To add to @tekki70comments I would look for HDMI cables that are 4K HDR with 18Gbps capable especially if your TV and any other related equipment (av receiver, baluns etc) support HDR.  Those are easily found on Amazon and other sites but as he stated ALL cables in the chain as well as equipment must be compatible.  

If your TV and other equipment supports HDR, a tip for the Apple TV is to make the following changes in the video/audio settings in the ATV menu:

Set resolution to 4K SDR (even if your TV supports HDR) as this will not force non-HDR content to display in HDR and look washed out.

In the Match Content setting Turn On the Match Frame Rate and Dynamic Range setting

I managed to get top the back of my rack....here is what I say..

Apple TV HDMI into a Denon Amp

Denon Amp into Balun for TV video

I reckon I just need to ensure both HDMI cables are 4k.

Can't see where the C4 Amp/matrix comes into play...so I might be sweet

Same point applies.  What sort of balun, and is it designed to pass a 4K signal ?  If it is a CAT cable, then how long is the run, and does it have any joins in it (e.g. a socket or keystone jack) or is it a straight shot ?

This is unlikely to be an HDMI cable problem.  If there is an HDMI via CAT6 extender in play, the problem is likely to be in the balun, the CAT cable or the terminations.

On 1/24/2021 at 1:00 AM, tigerap said:

Apple TV HDMI into a Denon Amp

Denon Amp into Balun for TV video

I reckon I just need to ensure both HDMI cables are 4k.

Actually make sure all 3 cables are 4K compliant (preferably 18gbps just to be safe).  Apple to Denon, Denon to transmitting Balun, and then Receiving Balun to TV.  Lastly, check your video settings on your Denon as you make need to turn turn on some type of "Enhanced" feature.  

If it's feasible, I'd grab a long length of CAT6 cable and run it temporarily in place of what's there in-wall now.  Just from closet to TV or whatever.  That way you will quickly eliminate a cable or termination problem, and it only takes 5 minutes, assuming that your Tx and Rx are not on different floors or the room next door etc.

Hey

1 hour ago, OceanDad said:

If it's feasible, I'd grab a long length of CAT6 cable and run it temporarily in place of what's there in-wall now.  Just from closet to TV or whatever.  That way you will quickly eliminate a cable or termination problem, and it only takes 5 minutes, assuming that your Tx and Rx are not on different floors or the room next door etc.

Thank you so much for your suggestion. I'll give it a go

2 hours ago, PorterTX said:

Actually make sure all 3 cables are 4K compliant (preferably 18gbps just to be safe).  Apple to Denon, Denon to transmitting Balun, and then Receiving Balun to TV.  Lastly, check your video settings on your Denon as you make need to turn turn on some type of "Enhanced" feature.  

Appreciate your suggestion....I've ordered 3 4K HDMI cables and when they arrive shall connect them up....I'll post an update as this may assist others with the same issue

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.