C4 Forums | Control4

Chowmain - Shelly Driver Suite for Control4!

Shelly is an IoT manufacturer who creates a range of affordable retrofit Wifi based devices that include relays, contact inputs, buttons, smart plugs, rgb controllers, smart bulbs, motion sensors, flood sensors, smoke detectors, gas sensors, energy management and more. This Driver Package supports both Generation 1 (Shelly), and Generation 2 (Shelly NG) devices

Chowmain has integrated the range of Shelly wifi products into Control4 with two way control and feedback.  The hardware is extremely affordable with relays starting at 9.08€ (14.95 USD / $25.99 AUD).  It definately adds value to any Control4 installation.

Driver Features

• Supports Huge Range of Shelly module functionality
  • Color Wheel support via module web interface
  • Optional Integration with Shelly Cloud via the Shelly Cloud Agent for improved compatibility with
    sleepy devices, Self-Healing Capability and Auto-Detection of devices (Modules can still be set up
    manually).
  • Bulk Auto-Setup of devices (requires devices to be associated with cloud)
  • Huge range of Events, Variables and Button Links to control devices
  • Blind and Lighting Support, with Advanced Lighting Capabilities
  • Control Relays via Lights
  • Easy Push Notifications and Email Notifications for Common Events (Requires 4Sight)
  • Easy Announcements
  • Smart Calibration of White Temperatures on Lighting for Maximum compatibility

Shelly Feature Supported

• Inputs / Switches via CONTACT SENSORS, Button Links and wide variety of events
  • Relays via RELAY Bindings and events
  • Temperature and Humidity Integration
  • Lighting Control (includes Advanced Lighting Scenes)
  • Blind Control. UP/DOWN/STOP
  • Energy Monitoring
  • Open/Close Reed States
  • AC/DC Voltage Monitoring
  • GAS Monitoring
  • Flood Sensor Support
  • Light Level Monitoring
  • Battery Monitoring
  • And More

FAQ

Can you give us some examples of how we could use this driver?

• All Shelly products are wifi based so installation is easy.
  • Shelly products provide 1 or more relay outputs or contact closure inputs.
  • The Shelly1 product is perfect for lighting if you have to utilise the existing switches. Utilise the input for a momentary or a toggle state button to control the relay output. Connect the input to the existing switch and the output to the lighting circuit. Simple
  • Shelly provides a range of smart plugs and smart plugs designed for EU and US based plugs and 110-240v bulbs with E27 and GU10 fittings.
  • Webview interfaces provide an extended user interface on T3/T4 touchscreens for color temperature, color wheel support, etc.
  • A Shelly 2.5 can control blind motors for up, down and stop control.
  • Control your garage door using a Shelly1 with Wifi based control and feedback (note requires a reed switch for feedback).
  • Monitor your home for gas and flood with Shelly Gas and Shelly Flood products. Have it notify you via Chowmain's easy push notification and email notifications (requires 4sight).
  • Easy announcement integration means the battery based Shelly Button can be used as a doorbell or can be used to playback 'come to dinner' and other announcements.
  • The battery operated Shelly Humidity and Temperature product provides humidity and temperature bindings. Use it with the temperature display driver for feedback. Works upto 50m outdoors and 30m indoors.
  • The battery operated Shelly Door & Window Sensor to provide feedback when doors and windows open.
  • The battery operated Shelly Motion provides easy to install occupancy sensing with 1-3 years of battery life
  • Push and email notifications on low battery levels for all battery devices.

What hardware will this work on?
The following Shelly Devices are supported. Other models may work but are untested.

NOTE: It may also work with other models however it is untested.

Where can i purchase Shelly Hardware from?
Shelly is distributed worldwide through a number of resellers.

You can purchase Shelly hardware directly from Shelly. If you are in the US we recommend Ameridroid or Blackwire Designs. if you are in Australia we recommend that you support our partners at OzSmartThings

How do I find out more information about the driver?
Please see the links below for more information about the driver.

Chowmain Website

How do I buy the driver?
This driver can be purchased from our distributor driverCentral.

Download Driver / Purchase Licence

Do you provide trial licences?
All Chowmain drivers for Control4 come with a 90 day trial.

Who do i contact for technical support?
We have two support desks. One in Australia and one in the US. Click on the link below for details.

Support

webview.png

On 5/5/2021 at 1:06 AM, OceanDad said:

Looks interesting for sure.  How does this compare, say, to the Berto IOT solution for Shelly ?  Looks like it doesn't require an RPi as a gateway, so that's one advantage.  Any significant differences in performance on 'sleepy' devices like sensors ?

G'day OceanDad.

I haven't had a chance to use the Berto drivers myself (although, I have heard of them). The best thing to do is to probably give the driver a try, and let us know how you go (we had really good feedback during the beta period), and if you do have any recommendations, we'd be certainly willing to listen. All of our drivers offer a 90 day trial, and if you're already using Shelly cloud, can be completely set up without additional configuration within 5 minutes (just jump into the Shelly Cloud Driver Agent, add the API key, Refresh Information, wait 30s, click Auto-Add and the drivers will be ready shortly after). 

Without comparing directly, some of the main advantages over competing drivers (and possibly the Berto drivers) are:   

1. Shelly Cloud Integration - Greatly facilitates self-healing during network changes (particularly for Sleepy devices).
    1. I believe berto uses MQTT, which is more efficient, however, cloud connection must be disabled. Cloud access to all modules can also facilitate remote troubleshooting.
  2. Auto-Adding of drivers on the cloud, including Thermostat/humidity.
    1. We include a Light driver to control relays, which can be added to the project in 2 clicks  
  3. 2 -click easy setup of Announcements binding to events (for features like using the Shelly Button as a doorbell to play announcements).
    1. Alan's magic worked this out. 
  4. 1 click Notifications for event support .
    1. Again, Alan worked this out, and it's already in a few of our drivers)
  5. Very large list of Events (in fact, I believe all of them).Not sure how we compare to other drivers, but Beta testers gave me the impression other drivers had less events
  6. Button_link bindings for events, which is perfect for treating Shelly Buttons like normal keypads for instance.  
  7. Huge list of properties and variables. Battery life remaining is an example some drivers apparently don't support .

In regards to sleepy devices specifically, our driver react to all possible events sent by the drivers, but will also pull as much info as possible directly from the module when it wakes up too, so will respond to feedback efficiently

Also, if you have any specific questions, feel free to message me directly

Andy  

I have a Shelly flood sensor sitting here.  Might give this a spin later.

EDIT : Just set it up.  Took all of 10 minutes, notifications worked perfectly.  Very impressive.  Set up some test programming to turn on a light as well.  Light came on and notifications came to my phone within 2 seconds of putting the flood sensor into a saucer of water as a test.

Count me in.  Great work.

G'day guys, just thought I'd post about a problem we have uncovered (firmware related).

If you're planning to use the included webview (in the module driver), Webview's seem to break for some people during an upgrade to 1.10.4 on the lights (you'll notice the top right hand corner of the screen says Time, but has no time). To fix: 

• Upgrade to Chowmain Shelly Module driver 20210505 (Available later today online) 
  • Try upgrading the firmware on the device first, and use the "Wipe Touchscreen Webview Cache" Action after completion, in the Module driver or Cloud Driver to wipe the touchscreen caches.
  • If the problem is not rectified after removing the cache, rollback the firmware using http://archive.shelly-tools.de/ to 1.10.2 (if using lights) and use the "Wipe Touchscreen Webview Cache" Action afterwards in the Module driver or Cloud Driver to wipe the touchscreen caches
  • If neither fixes the problem, try to Factory Reset the Touchscreen.

We have uncovered an issue with Upgrades between some firmware versions, where the Time becomes 
hidden from the top right corner of the screen, and some features, such as the Color-wheel on the 
Touchscreen Webviews ceases operation (but the webpage operates correctly on computer).

* Upgrade to Chowmain Shelly Module driver 20210505 (Available later today online) 
* Try upgrading the firmware on the device first, and use the "Wipe Touchscreen Webview Cache" Action after completion, in the Module driver or Cloud Driver to wipe the touchscreen caches.
* If the problem is not rectified, rollback the firmware using http://archive.shelly-tools.de/ and use the "Wipe Touchscreen Webview Cache" Action afterwards in the Module driver or Cloud Driver to wipe the touchscreen caches
* If neither fixes the problem, try to Factory Reset the Touchscreen.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

MAJOR UPDATE

The next generation Shelly devices, Shelly Plus, has just been announced. We are happy to advise that we have worked closely with Doug Roberson and the guys at Allterco Robotics to update our Shelly driver for Control4 to be compatible with their brand new Shelly Plus 1, Shelly Plus 1PM and the upcoming Shelly Pro 4PM.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

We are glad that integrators are enjoying this driver.

The guys at Shelly have asked us for some feedback in regards to what integrators are using their product for.  What products are you using and what solutions are you guys coming up with?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @alanchow!

I´m testing the Shelly suite driver for C4.

So far, I´ve tested Shelly Dimmer, Light Shelly 1 and Shelly door/window2

To turn light on and off, works very well with both boxes.

For dimming, from the any navigator, works flawless, but when I want to do a dimming with advanced lighting, it doesn´t work, just turn on and off, but no dimming. Is missing some setup??

Regarding the Shelly door/window2, the sleepy/wake up mode, is very slowly. Is there some way to make work better in this sense?

In my desk is waiting the Shelly2.5 to try with 2 lights circuits and maybe with blinds also, but I wolud like to fnish the dimming and door opening test,

If everything works as expected, probably I´ll use shelly for 40 or 50 lights circuits and 10-15 windows/doors.

I hope you can help a little with these issues.

Thank´s

31 minutes ago, VEXTA said:

Hi @alanchow!

I´m testing the Shelly suite driver for C4.

So far, I´ve tested Shelly Dimmer, Light Shelly 1 and Shelly door/window2

To turn light on and off, works very well with both boxes.

For dimming, from the any navigator, works flawless, but when I want to do a dimming with advanced lighting, it doesn´t work, just turn on and off, but no dimming. Is missing some setup??

Regarding the Shelly door/window2, the sleepy/wake up mode, is very slowly. Is there some way to make work better in this sense?

In my desk is waiting the Shelly2.5 to try with 2 lights circuits and maybe with blinds also, but I wolud like to fnish the dimming and door opening test,

If everything works as expected, probably I´ll use shelly for 40 or 50 lights circuits and 10-15 windows/doors.

I hope you can help a little with these issues.

Thank´s

G'day, 

I'm the developer who wrote the Shelly driver. Just wondering what modules you're having trouble with in Advanced lighting? I've sent you a private message with an email you can use to send further details (and to enable us to send remote access instructions. I have tested Advanced lighting with a Shelly Vintage and it appears to work correctly. Thanks, 

Thanks, 

Andy

1 minute ago, Andrew luecke said:

G'day, 

I'm the developer who wrote the Shelly driver. Just wondering what modules you're having trouble with in Advanced lighting? I've sent you a private message with an email you can use to send further details (and to enable us to send remote access instructions. I have tested Advanced lighting with a Shelly Vintage and it appears to work correctly. Thanks, 

Thanks, 

Andy

G'day, also, I'd just like to ensure you're using version 20211010 to avoid bugs (if you're using RGBW2 in particular, its a good idea as we integrate effects now)

32 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

G'day, 

Thanks, 

Andy

Thank you Andy, I just replied the private message.

BTW, do you know some tip to have a better response (wake up) of the Shelly Door/Window2 in control4 ??

I have a problem with the Shelly 1 with Temperature add on

The Shelly numbers the first external sensor as 0 and the second as 1

When I bind to sensor 0 it reads sensor 1 and when I bind to sensor 1 it reads sensor 1

On 10/17/2021 at 8:11 AM, STAX said:

I have a problem with the Shelly 1 with Temperature add on

The Shelly numbers the first external sensor as 0 and the second as 1

When I bind to sensor 0 it reads sensor 1 and when I bind to sensor 1 it reads sensor 1

G'day, just letting you know I'll message you directly

G'day all, 

For those who are interested, just letting you know we have a beta now available with support for smooth ramping, and ramping in scenes.

So, those using dimmable button links will find the transitions are much smoother now, and it is possible to create scenes with a long ramp time (you can now ramp over 10minutes, 5 seconds, an hour or even 10 hours if you want). Sunrise is an example of where you may want to color shift

If interested, send me a message with your email address, 

Andy  

G'day.

Those who are in the beta program, will shortly be receiving a beta which enables full feedback for blinds (which is available by enabling Control Type: Level in the blind module), and a few stability fixes. We expect this version to be pushed to driver central later this week.

If you wish to join the beta program, let me know

To the best of knowledge, this functionality, combined with long ramping fulfills all known feature requests made (so if there are any other requests, feel free to let me know). Also, feel free to message me directly if there are any known issues you have come across (in particular, regarding external temperature). 

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Good news everybody. We're happy to announce stable release 20211108. This new release adds the following new features (as per popular request):

• Positional Blinds support (requires calibration of blinds in the module web interface). After enabling calibration, Set Control Type to Level in Properties.
  • Smooth ramping of dimming for button links (which must be set to dimmable).
  • Advanced Lighting Ramping support, with support for long ramping. PLEASE NOTE: attempting to ramp both White and colour channels simultaneously for long periods may cause problems with the color mode switching back and forth
  • Major Bug fixes  

Please note, we have found that some people on old releases may find that even with auto-update enabled, that they may need to update their installations manually 

For a link to the latest driver download, please go to: http://www.chowmainsoft.com/shelly-control4 

Detailed Changelog is below:

1. 20211108 [STABLE]

This new stable release primarily adds:

• Optional support for smooth dimmable ramping on button links

• Level/discrete support on Blinds.

• Bug fixes and and other improvements have also been included

Refer to the Beta changes for full information. Specific changes for 20211108 are:

• Update Documentation (All)

• Minor Backend Improvements (All)

20211105 [BETA]

• Webviews keep incorrectly resetting to default in some cases (Thanks David Hancock) - (Module)

• Improved Debugging (All)

20211025 [BETA]

• FEATURE: Add Support For Blind Levels. To enable, set new Control Type property to Levels. Default is toggle (blinds, modules).

• Stability fixes for feedback disconnections (Module).

20211019 [BETA]

• Add Support For Button Link Smooth Ramping. Please note, Button Link behavior must be set to Dimmable (All Dimmable Light drivers)

• Switch default Button Ramp rate from 5% to 8% for smoother ramping (All Dimmable Light drivers)

• Add Short term and Long term Ramping support. All Dimmable modules supported, with the exception of the Shelly SHBLB-1 Bulb which does NOT support smooth ramping. Please note, attempting to ramp color and white channel on some devices simultaneously may cause problems.. (All Dimmable Light drivers)

• As there have been no reports of problems since introduction on 20210916, Dimmable Button Links now defaults to "Dimmable". Original behavior can be restored by switching to On/Off (All Dimmable Light drivers)

image.png.540b6bc77be6a44014939c6e74162df8.png

real4pro.png

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, alanchow said:

Advanced lighting scenes

yes, but if you have 20 ceiling spots in one room, it would be a lot of work to set them all to the same color. :)

there is normally no need to set each lamp to a different color. 

way easier to set a lightning group for hue lamps for example. 

• 3 weeks later...