C4 Forums | Control4

Nvidia Shield Android 11 issue/fix - Kodi too

Just upgraded my shield to the latest release, Android 11.  Upon doing so, the SDDP connection said "online" but nothing was responsive.  After trials and tribulations, the fix was to disable the ethernet connection on the shield (through the menu) and then simply re-enabling cured the problem.

Additionally, when running Kodi now, I was getting a pop-up about a "new controller detected" upon pressing any button on the c4 remote.  The fix for this is to use your phone app or native shield remote, go into the kodi settings-->add-ons-->peripheral libraries-->joystick support-->disable.  Click ok/apply.  Force close kodi and re-open it, problem should be fixed as well.

Edit: A few hours later after a few more reboots it suddenly started to work.... I do not know what exactly did it.
Hopefully they will update the driver to take out this randomness.

I've tried that but I still can't get it to work. It does allow me to start MiniDriver apps like Netflix and youtube but I can't navigation to work.
I've tried your suggestion, tired to use the IP instead of SDDP, rebooted it a few times.... any thing else you did which might have helped?

Here is the Debug log when I press the down button:

ReceivedFromProxy(): DOWN on binding 5001; Call Function PRX_CMD.DOWN()
.   ROOM_ID:  35
    BEGIN:  815181812
    DEVICE_ID:  36
SEND_COMMAND_FROM_COMMAND_TABLE(), idBinding=5001, command_name=DOWN
GetCommand()
command = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<url>/RemoteService/control</url>
<s:Envelope
    xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    <s:Body>
        <u:KeyEventAction
            xmlns:u="urn:nvidia-com:service:RemoteService:1-0">
            <Keycode>20</Keycode>
        </u:KeyEventAction>
    </s:Body>
</s:Envelope>
PackAndQueueCommand(), command_name = DOWN, command delay set to 150 MILLISECONDS
Starting Timer: SendCommand
Starting Send Timer:  3 for DOWN (timer_interval = 150, timer_units = MILLISECONDS)
ReceivedFromProxy(): END_DOWN on binding 5001; Call Function PRX_CMD.END_DOWN()
.   DURATION:  74
    ROOM_ID:  35
ReceivedFromProxy: Unhandled command = END_DOWN
Send Timer expired
Send Timer expired - Last Command: DOWN, Send Next Command
DeviceConnectionBase:SendNextCommand

same happened to me, need to follow these steps.  1.  disable shield ethernet connection from shield settings. 2. pull out battery from C4 remote  3. reboot Shield 4. enable Shield ethernet connection. 5. put battery back in C4.

7 hours ago, swissglobalsolutions said:

Edit: A few hours later after a few more reboots it suddenly started to work.... I do not know what exactly did it.
Hopefully they will update the driver to take out this randomness.

I've tried that but I still can't get it to work. It does allow me to start MiniDriver apps like Netflix and youtube but I can't navigation to work.
I've tried your suggestion, tired to use the IP instead of SDDP, rebooted it a few times.... any thing else you did which might have helped?

Here is the Debug log when I press the down button:

ReceivedFromProxy(): DOWN on binding 5001; Call Function PRX_CMD.DOWN()
.   ROOM_ID:  35
    BEGIN:  815181812
SEND_COMMAND_FROM_COMMAND_TABLE(), idBinding=5001, command_name=DOWN
GetCommand()
command = <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<url>/RemoteService/control</url>
<s:Envelope
    xmlns:s="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/" s:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/">
    <s:Body>
        <u:KeyEventAction
            xmlns:u="urn:nvidia-com:service:RemoteService:1-0">
            <Keycode>20</Keycode>
        </u:KeyEventAction>
    </s:Body>
</s:Envelope>
PackAndQueueCommand(), command_name = DOWN, command delay set to 150 MILLISECONDS
Starting Timer: SendCommand
Starting Send Timer:  3 for DOWN (timer_interval = 150, timer_units = MILLISECONDS)
ReceivedFromProxy(): END_DOWN on binding 5001; Call Function PRX_CMD.END_DOWN()
.   DURATION:  74
    ROOM_ID:  35
ReceivedFromProxy: Unhandled command = END_DOWN
Send Timer expired
Send Timer expired - Last Command: DOWN, Send Next Command
DeviceConnectionBase:SendNextCommand

another thing ive done in the past to fix this (assuming you're using static ip)

1) go to the apps on the shield, go to shield tv remote service-->force stop-->clear data

2) go the shield network settings, change the IP to another address

3) reboot shield

4) the clearing of the data on the shield tv remote service will generate a new SDDP address, so re-connect shield driver in c4 

This has worked for me a few times, but did NOT work on the android 11 update...but thought I'd pass along anyways

1 hour ago, Carm said:

same happened to me, need to follow these steps.  1.  disable shield ethernet connection from shield settings. 2. pull out battery from C4 remote  3. reboot Shield 4. enable Shield ethernet connection. 5. put battery back in C4.

it's not the remote that is failing.  if you try to control the shield with the c4 app or within composer (double clicking shield driver), there is no response.  So the remote actually has nothing to do with this issue; it is a driver/connectivity/addressing issue.   

I had similar issues, but I found (for my case) that I had to update some system apps in Google Playstore after the Android 11 / Shield 9 upgrade. I cant recall exactly which apps but it may have been the WebView app and also the NVIDIA Remote Service app, which is what I believe the c4 driver uses for commands, after applying those updates and any other available updates, I then hard rebooted it (pulling power out of the shield and wait 5-10 seconds and plug back in). C4 control was available upon it starting up.

I am not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I have had it since I got my shield pro (2019 model) last year, and the shield is always only connecting to my Unifi Gigabit switch at only 100M FDX and not actually running at its apparent 1GB speed as per the specs on the box (I have also tried plugging it into a Cisco catalyst switch and have also even tried forcing the ports on each switch to be 1GB FDX mode which causes it to not connect at all). Has anyone had this issue and if so were you able to rectify it? I read on the Nvidia forums it has been an issue with others and I was hoping it would get fixed with this new update, but it is still not resolved.

On 1/15/2022 at 9:30 AM, didiasku said:

2) go the shield network settings, change the IP to another address

3) reboot shield

This should be all that is needed.  If not, take the Shield off SDDP and just use static IP in Composer.  I've seen this happen before the 9.0 update as well.  The first one I updated to 9.0 fell straight off Control4.  Static IP change fixed it.

6 hours ago, didiasku said:

When you say forcing... What do you mean? What is your speed test based on? Nfs connection thru kodi? File transfer? 

If your shield isn't pulling LAN speeds, it's not the update

Forcing as in on the Network Switch port settings (setting it to 1Gbit FDX instead of Auto Negotiate)... I'm not testing on Speedtest, I'm looking in the Shield Network settings it shows it is connected at "100 MB", and also on my network switch.  Not trying to do transfers, but I noticed this when I was trying to stream a uncompressed 4K movie from Plex that was trying to push 160MB/s and it was freezing/stuttering, and when I went to troubleshoot it I looked at the port and noticed it was only on 100Mbit.  It was not related to this update (it has been an issue since 8.x) and was wanting to know if anyone else had the same issue and if they knew of a way to fix it...

4 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

Forcing as in on the Network Switch port settings (setting it to 1Gbit FDX instead of Auto Negotiate)... I'm not testing on Speedtest, I'm looking in the Shield Network settings it shows it is connected at "100 MB", and also on my network switch.  Not trying to do transfers, but I noticed this when I was trying to stream a uncompressed 4K movie from Plex that was trying to push 160MB/s and it was freezing/stuttering, and when I went to troubleshoot it I looked at the port and noticed it was only on 100Mbit.  It was not related to this update (it has been an issue since 8.x) and was wanting to know if anyone else had the same issue and if they knew of a way to fix it...

have you tried a different lan cable?
That can usually happen if the lan cable is damaged so it lowers the speed to 100 mbps which only needs 4 of the 8 cores working of a cat6 cables.
I'm using Unifi gear in my home and the Shield is getting 1000mbps with no issues.

12 hours ago, swissglobalsolutions said:

have you tried a different lan cable?
That can usually happen if the lan cable is damaged so it lowers the speed to 100 mbps which only needs 4 of the 8 cores working of a cat6 cables.
I'm using Unifi gear in my home and the Shield is getting 1000mbps with no issues.

Yeah I have tried 3 different brand new CAT6 cables (different brands), also tried an existing one that works with another device that can obtain 1000mbps no problem, and am also using Unifi gear too... think I will contact NVIDIA support.

6 minutes ago, didiasku said:

Tried a different port on the router? (I'm guessing you did) 

Yeah its a brand new Unifi 48 port POE Switch, tried a few ports yes.. I also did try it on a Cisco switch prior to the unifi, same issue.

23 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

I am not sure if anyone else has this issue, but I have had it since I got my shield pro (2019 model) last year, and the shield is always only connecting to my Unifi Gigabit switch at only 100M FDX and not actually running at its apparent 1GB speed as per the specs on the box

As I think you have already identified, this seems to be an occasional problem with Shields of all flavors and generations.  I've never seen it happen, but there's plenty of similar stories on various forums.  I don't see a common cause or solution however.  

Just picked up a shield pro and testing out this driver. When I select any of the mini drivers, netflix , hulu , plex , etc , my remotes/touchscreens will show the app I selected, like netflix, briefly and then switch to show "SHIELD TV". Is this normal behavior or should it continue to show the app as the source? 

3 hours ago, l3anks said:

Just picked up a shield pro and testing out this driver. When I select any of the mini drivers, netflix , hulu , plex , etc , my remotes/touchscreens will show the app I selected, like netflix, briefly and then switch to show "SHIELD TV". Is this normal behavior or should it continue to show the app as the source? 

Normal behaviour, the driver hasn't got Passthrough mode like Roku..

12 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

Apologies somewhat off topic question but I was testing on an LG CX with C4 CX driver and noticed the behavior act like a Roku device. I can select the mini driver app, the source remains as the selected app such as netflix. I'm not seeing anything in documentation about passthrough. Just wanted to double check that when using the shield there isn't a method to keep the selected app as the source. 

Are LG and Roku the only 2 options that will work this way? 

13 hours ago, Leighm0 said:

I've actually noticed this to not be the case as much anymore. No idea why. The three Shields I share under one set of mini-apps with my video matrix will show the mini app icon, the one dedicated to the HT will not.

HOW TO FIX THE LACK OF CONTROL AFTER UPDATE

1. Use the Shield remote
  2. Wake device if asleep (duh)
  3. Navigate to Settings -> Device Preferences -> Display & Sound -> HDMI-CEC Enable (TURN OFF)
  4. Reboot the device as prompted

This is a new distinct setting on all the Shields (likely split out from another menu) and has been enabled by default after update regardless of prior settings. I did this for all of my 2019 Shield Pros and upon reboot, C4 could control the device again. 

Good luck!

16 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

I've actually noticed this to not be the case as much anymore. No idea why. The three Shields I share under one set of mini-apps with my video matrix will show the mini app icon, the one dedicated to the HT will not.

Thanks

The one I'm testing is dedicated to HT as well. I'll test a bit more and see if I can replicate similar behavior when attached to my matrix, other rooms, shared mini drivers etc

10 minutes ago, tmj4 said:

HOW TO FIX THE LACK OF CONTROL AFTER UPDATE

1. Use the Shield remote
  2. Wake device if asleep (duh)
  3. Navigate to Settings -> Device Preferences -> Display & Sound -> HDMI-CEC Enable (TURN OFF)
  4. Reboot the device as prompted

This is a new distinct setting on all the Shields (likely split out from another menu) and has been enabled by default after update regardless of prior settings. I did this for all of my 2019 Shield Pros and upon reboot, C4 could control the device again. 

Good luck!

Yep same experience here. Had to turn it off after the latest update. 

6 hours ago, tmj4 said:

Yeah okay, I use one shared set of mini-apps for my devices (3 x Roku's and 1 x Shield Pro), each device is dedicated to a room and not on a matrix. The only ones which show the Active app are the Rokus.. the Shield will initially show the app's name (i.e. YouTube) on my Neeo with the onscreen media functions when you first select it, but as soon as I hit the "Home" button on the Neeo, the App Icon is the Shield's icon.. Roku will show the app's icon that I loaded all the time..  I do plan on getting a Matrix so will test that out once I get it setup and move the shield and Roku's to the rack.. see if it changes to show the app icon.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.