C4 Forums | Control4

Ring Events Driver for Control4 ?

seth_j

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I don't and never have used a ring, so was unaware of what the actual output is.  Another reason added as to why I don't like the product.

Ring runs on 24V AC if you are using the transformer to power it. Or it can run on battery if you are using a battery model and finally it can also run on ethernet/POE if you have the Elite. 

Ring runs on 24V AC if you are using the transformer to power it. Or it can run on battery if you are using a battery model and finally it can also run on ethernet/POE if you have the Elite. 

Is that (the ability to be powered over PoE) the only functional difference between the Pro and Elite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, ILoveC4 said:

Is that (the ability to be powered over PoE) the only functional difference between the Pro and Elite?

The Elite is a 1 Gang flush mount Ethernet/POE device but it has the same camera as the Pro. The other advantages of the Elite is the speaker is forward facing instead of down. 

I have a Ring Elite powered by PoE

Can someone please tell me where the wires from the doorbell contact terminals should be run to an EA5 so that I can program a local event when the button is pressed?

Can someone please tell me where the wires from the doorbell contact terminals should be run to an EA5 so that I can program a local event when the button is pressed?
You sound a little demanding

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Just now, jfh said:

The doorbell output on the Elite simply wont do what you need it to do. It is not designed to give contact closure in the manner you want. 

If you have a voltage meter set it to impedance mode and put it on the 2 small doorbell plugs on the elite

Ring the bell and see what it does. If you dont get contact closure aka 0 on the meter its not going to work. Click the doorbell in the app and click the gear icon then go to doorbell kit settings.. youll see mechanical and digital as options. Try either of those. 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

You sound a little demanding

No, just incredibly frustrated.  I need what is conceptually something simple and don't know how to do it.  

I like the Ring but absolutely must have the ability for the button press to generate a local event that does not depend on the cloud.  If Ring fails to display, no big deal. But I need lights to trigger in sequence if the bell is pressed for a family member that is deaf.

No, just incredibly frustrated.  I need what is conceptually something simple and don't know how to do it.  
I like the Ring but absolutely must have the ability for the button press to generate a local event that does not depend on the cloud.  If Ring fails to display, no big deal. But I need lights to trigger in sequence if the bell is pressed for a family member that is deaf.
Not to sound cheeky but isn't that something you should have researched before purchasing?

3 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Not to sound cheeky but isn't that something you should have researched before purchasing?

From everything I read both here and elsewhere it sounded easy.  And I figured I couldn't be the only person who wanted to use the function with Control4.  It can trigger a standard chime.  How can it not trigger some open/close contact state to C4?

From everything I read both here and elsewhere it sounded easy.  And I figured I couldn't be the only person who wanted to use the function with Control4.  It can trigger a standard chime.  How can it not trigger some open/close contact state to C4?
24v vs 12v

46 minutes ago, jfh said:

If you have a mechanical doorbell and a pair of wires from the doorbell to your controller, you can wire a magnetic contact sensor (window sensor) near the solenoid this will then give you the event you need at your controller.

3 hours ago, Kevin L said:

If you have a voltage meter set it to impedance mode and put it on the 2 small doorbell plugs on the elite

Ring the bell and see what it does. If you dont get contact closure aka 0 on the meter its not going to work. Click the doorbell in the app and click the gear icon then go to doorbell kit settings.. youll see mechanical and digital as options. Try either of those. 

Thanks Kevin.  I'll get someone to help me to test that.  

41 minutes ago, THEORY said:

If you have a mechanical doorbell and a pair of wires from the doorbell to your controller, you can wire a magnetic contact sensor (window sensor) near the solenoid this will then give you the event you need at your controller.

Thanks, but the old mechanical doorbell is disconnected and I no longer want to use it.   I had an Axxcess Wireless doorbell prior to Ring and programmed off the When button pressed event.  I want to duplicate that so when the Ring button is pressed a local C4 event is triggered in addition to what the Ring itself and the Blackwire driver does.

i know a lot about a lot of things, but when it comes to relays and anything electrical I am absolutely clueless and reading about it never sticks.  I certainly understand there are issues if one system uses 24v and another uses 12v, but have absolutely no idea what to do about it.  I get very frustrated when I can't understand something I know is simple.

And even if know how to do something, I'm pretty much at the point where I have to rely on others to do anything physical.  I cannot stand for more than a few minutes or climb a ladder and my hands are no longer steady enough for detail work.  Many days I have pain that is borderline debilitating.  Stuff I used to do that I took for granted is now impossible.  It's incredibly frustrating.

Thanks, but the old mechanical doorbell is disconnected and I no longer want to use it.   I had an Axxcess Wireless doorbell prior to Ring and programmed off the When button pressed event.  I want to duplicate that so when the Ring button is pressed a local C4 event is triggered in addition to what the Ring itself and the Blackwire driver does.

i know a lot about a lot of things, but when it comes to relays and anything electrical I am absolutely clueless and reading about it never sticks.  I certainly understand there are issues if one system uses 24v and another uses 12v, but have absolutely no idea what to do about it.  I get very frustrated when I can't understand something I know is simple.

And even if know how to do something, I'm pretty much at the point where I have to rely on others to do anything physical.  I cannot stand for more than a few minutes or climb a ladder and my hands are no longer steady enough for detail work.  Many days I have pain that is borderline debilitating.  Stuff I used to do that I took for granted is now impossible.  It's incredibly frustrating.

I’m sorry to hear that. And here I am feeling bad about having no use of my left arm for 6 weeks. Hang in there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have ring doorbell 2 operated via batteries and wifi.

If I integrate my ring doorbell with this driver into C4, if someone pushes the doorbell does it still bring up the ring app ? Will this driver display video on who is at the front door? or will it have both playing back mp3 audio via speakers and also bring up video via the ring app?

How do you guys have it set up?

Thanks,
K.

6 hours ago, k3nnis said:

Hi All,

I have ring doorbell 2 operated via batteries and wifi.

If I integrate my ring doorbell with this driver into C4, if someone pushes the doorbell does it still bring up the ring app ? Will this driver display video on who is at the front door? or will it have both playing back mp3 audio via speakers and also bring up video via the ring app?

How do you guys have it set up?

Thanks,
K.

The ring app will continue to work the same way.  The driver is an event - not video driver.  You can use it to trigger an event on the control4 side.  So I use it to play an announcement (chime sound) and to bring up on screen another front door cam, not the doorbell itself.

The ring app will continue to work the same way.  The driver is an event - not video driver.  You can use it to trigger an event on the control4 side.  So I use it to play an announcement (chime sound) and to bring up on screen another front door cam, not the doorbell itself.

Thanks sounds good. Is there a delay from button pressed to announcement made?

Just now, k3nnis said:

Thanks sounds good. Is there a delay from button pressed to announcement made?

There is a slight delay - depending on the version of control4 and if you have advanced audio enabled or not will be the delay.  The press to when control4 gets the event is milliseconds fast

There is a slight delay - depending on the version of control4 and if you have advanced audio enabled or not will be the delay.  The press to when control4 gets the event is milliseconds fast

Ok thanks. Running hc250 as director with 2.91 and advanced audio.

23 minutes ago, k3nnis said:

Ok thanks. Running hc250 as director with 2.91 and advanced audio.

there are some announcement improvements in 2.10 that may make it even faster. But i was using it under 2.9.1 and it was good.

Archived