C4 Forums | Control4

Why do we all put up with this BS?

wappinghigh

On 19/09/2017 at 10:54 AM, Cyknight said:

Point being that, in the end, they are in fact just trying to protect what's theirs. Failing or not. The root cause for HDCP and arguably HDMI at all is protection - take away the need for protection and...

Look at where music has gone.  There is no point in pirating music when everyone subscribes to Spotify, Apple Music or whatever when you can stream whatever song you want to whatever device you want whenever you want. It is way better to just pay $10/month and have access to (pretty much) everything.

I am willing to pay $120/month to have "Spotify for video content".  That means I can stream any movie or TV show ever made whenever I want to any device.  "Hollywood" still gets just as much revenue as they used to, maybe even more as they can cut out some of the middlemen like networks, cable channels, DVD manufacturers, etc.  This would replace cable TV subscriptions, DVD/BR purchases, Netflix/Vudu/Amazon On Demand, etc.

But there are too many vested interests to let this happen and not everyone would be willing to pay.

10 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Look at where music has gone.  There is no point in pirating music when everyone subscribes to Spotify, Apple Music or whatever when you can stream whatever song you want to whatever device you want whenever you want. It is way better to just pay $10/month and have access to (pretty much) everything.

I am willing to pay $120/month to have "Spotify for video content".  That means I can stream any movie or TV show ever made whenever I want to any device.  "Hollywood" still gets just as much revenue as they used to, maybe even more as they can cut out some of the middlemen like networks, cable channels, DVD manufacturers, etc.  This would replace cable TV subscriptions, DVD/BR purchases, Netflix/Vudu/Amazon On Demand, etc.

But there are too many vested interests to let this happen and not everyone would be willing to pay.

I'm not saying they chose the best method - but a LOT of ARTISTS will argue they are worse off now then they were or would have been a decade or two ago.

One difference you need to take into account is also that to produce a single movie vs a single album there are a LOT more factors in play. Personally I think actors could do with making a little less, but there are a lot more people involved in a movie production, as well as much higher associated costs.

While the similarities are certainly there, it's not a clear-cut comparison.

But the point stands - you can blame the studios/Hollywood for HDMI/HDCP if you want - but keep in mind that in the end, they are trying to protect their investment. Wrong method perhaps, and yes it's easy enough to argue that they could use a 'reset' of their expectations but making a change rarely happens when it's only on one side. At least not quickly.

And there still is no real argument that a company like Control4 should take the forefront in 'suing' them - you, me 'the people' have that power by simply NOT watching the movies - but that doesn't work if you at the same time get access illegally.

There is one other issue with streaming services though, and that is that -be it music or video- there are a lot of hurdles to take to get the same quality you otherwise get from a 'physical media' still. But that's a whole separate conversation.

I am willing to pay $120/month to have "Spotify for video content".

Sure, but the problem is that you (and me for that matter, though ditch the Spotify part ;)) are in the minority, just look at the fact that a lot of people don't even want to pay Netflix prices and rather pirate that content. Not to mention that as it stands, that will leave a lot of people with one rather large problem - internet is not available at the required speeds (and/or required price or available data) nearly as generally as people seem to thing.

"Hollywood" still gets just as much revenue

Not even close to it - streaming music is actually an example of the loss of income the industry as a whole would take. Ask even some of the most successful artists that span the area of big studios to now - you'll find they barely make any money on creating albums or songs directly and that their main source of income directly related to music is touring. Not to mention all the people that were part of the manufacturing process vs the relative few people involved in the current industry. So the 'top' may not be (much) worse off - but the industry as a whole is. Sure, once again you can argue that for some segments of those industries that may not be a bad thing, but it rarely works out that those that could suffer a financial loss are the ones that actually bear the brunt of it.

29 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

I would not pay 120a month. That is crazy

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My cable service is 120/month if not more and most of it is garbage. If I could stream any tv show or any movie whenever I wanted - toss in a few sport channels and news channels and I'd pay a premium to get that service.  

In the US and Canada the ARPU for cable is around $80.  Throw in services like Netflix, etc, plus the occasional purchase of a BR/DVD or other media and maybe the odd online rental from something like iTunes and you get to around $120.  And I am including all of the sports that you would get today with a typical cable package.

In the US and Canada the ARPU for cable is around $80.  Throw in services like Netflix, etc, plus the occasional purchase of a BR/DVD or other media and maybe the odd online rental from something like iTunes and you get to around $120.  And I am including all of the sports that you would get today with a typical cable package.

So your creating Ala carte packaging that all the networks are fighting to prevent

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Don't you believe it. Everyone is thwart by HDMI/HDCP. But even if it "works" every time..there are still delays.. it's old. Its unreliable and it's SLOW>>>> Useless. 2/10. Only gets a 2 because it can carry two signals. A and V. That's it. Everything else about it is a crock of shite IMHO. You all know it as well. Even if ya'll not sayin it. W
Carries data also

DisneyLife is pushing this model.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/oct/22/disney-uk-film-tv-streaming-disneylife-frozen-toy-story

I wonder what this will do to the content of my DMA KeyChest.

My cable service is 120/month if not more and most of it is garbage. If I could stream any tv show or any movie whenever I wanted - toss in a few sport channels and news channels and I'd pay a premium to get that service.  
My Cable AND Internet is $80 a month. Add Netflix at $8.99. Not sure why your bill is so high.

Content and distribution. Internet bill is in there. Ditch all video content and the pipe is still $50 a month.

27 minutes ago, SMHarman said:
1 hour ago, eggzlot said:

My Cable AND Internet is $80 a month. Add Netflix at $8.99. Not sure why your bill is so high.

Depends on your provider.  Depends on your package.  In northern nj it's fios or whatever cablevision is called.  If you have a top tier package for the movie channels the cable alone is usually north of 100.  I used to have cablevision and fought the good fight once a year to reduce my bill.  Got tired and went to a 2 year contract with fios.  One year down and one to go.  Assuming by time I can renew the streaming options may be next move 

Depends on your provider.  Depends on your package.  In northern nj it's fios or whatever cablevision is called.  If you have a top tier package for the movie channels the cable alone is usually north of 100.  I used to have cablevision and fought the good fight once a year to reduce my bill.  Got tired and went to a 2 year contract with fios.  One year down and one to go.  Assuming by time I can renew the streaming options may be next move 
Getting TiVo and taking hardware out of your bill helps considerably

44 minutes ago, SMHarman said:
49 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Getting TiVo and taking hardware out of your bill helps considerably

I only have 2 boxes.  It's a cost but not saving 50/month or something crazy on the hardware 

I only have 2 boxes.  It's a cost but not saving 50/month or something crazy on the hardware 
For time warner own hardware saved me $7.50 a month for a cable modem.
$10 a month for a cable box
$20 a month for the DvR add on to the cable box
$0.40c for the remote control

Archived