C4 Forums | Control4

Networking Equipment Advice

bdo21

I specified a full C4 install some time ago and due to delays with the building of the house, it was put on hold. We are now two months away from install with the build almost complete and I have received the updated proposal from my dealer. Previously we had Pakedge networking equipment specified but my dealer is concerned about the Pakedge wireless controller and have replaced with the equipment below. To be honest, I am not convinced and would appreciate some validation or comments! I am not sure what the issue is with Pakedge wireless and if there is an issue, would Pakedge core networking equipment make more sense than the Draytek router and Cisco (or Cisco-lite as a networking friend of mine described the Cisco SG220)? I asked about Ubiquiti which they said they use for lower end installations but not one of this scale/complexity.

Cisco SG220 network switches

Draytek 2862 router

ZyXel WiFi controller and WAPs

For information, we have an FTTP connection - we will probably have 200Mb/s initially but with potential to upgrade to faster if beneficial later. We have two networking head-ends given the layout of the house with a fibre link between the two.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance

I think the draytek is junk.  Don’t listen to them.  

Get Ubiquiti UniFi.  At the minimum, get the USG Pro (XG is my choice but overkill), a UniFi poe switch, the new cloud key gen 2 plus (runs controller and nvr software called protect), and UniFi waps- Nano HD is superb and for tighter spaces IW-HD.  All the waps are poe and really fast.  Updating them is simple.

If you use vlans there is a potential risk with Ubiquiti as a choice. This is why it's on the unsupported list for C4.

You say your job is big or complex. You probably also want to keep using the dealer. For ease of long term care and feeding find a solution they are happy fully supporting. If your dealer says  you wont be using vlans I'd ask them if they would consider the Ubi gear. Again, you want them to like the choices because when they come out to fix something you don't want them pointing at the gear and saying "we told you we didn't want to install this stuff".

2 hours ago, bdo21 said:

I specified a full C4 install some time ago and due to delays with the building of the house, it was put on hold. We are now two months away from install with the build almost complete and I have received the updated proposal from my dealer. Previously we had Pakedge networking equipment specified but my dealer is concerned about the Pakedge wireless controller and have replaced with the equipment below. To be honest, I am not convinced and would appreciate some validation or comments! I am not sure what the issue is with Pakedge wireless and if there is an issue, would Pakedge core networking equipment make more sense than the Draytek router and Cisco (or Cisco-lite as a networking friend of mine described the Cisco SG220)? I asked about Ubiquiti which they said they use for lower end installations but not one of this scale/complexity.

Cisco SG220 network switches

Draytek 2862 router

ZyXel WiFi controller and WAPs

For information, we have an FTTP connection - we will probably have 200Mb/s initially but with potential to upgrade to faster if beneficial later. We have two networking head-ends given the layout of the house with a fibre link between the two.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thank you in advance

If you trust the dealer get what he suggests.  It’s what he has field tested and knows how to troubleshoot.  If I were a dealer I’d let a customer pick networking gear if they signed a release of my obligation for any network related issues.  

Is he planning any remote diagnostics or support with his quoted hardware?

For what it’s worth I have Cisco sg300 and sg220 switches and unifi APs and a mikrotik router and my set up works. But this was all suggested by a dealer with experience with this hardware 

Draytek isn't really popular here in the states, at least I've never seen anyone offering them, so no experience there.

The Cisco SG's are fine, no issue there.

Zyxel for wireless????  How many Ap's are being installed?  I'd take a long hard look at Ruckus for the wifi.  They can't be beat, IMHO.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:33 PM, Pounce said:

If you use vlans there is a potential risk with Ubiquiti as a choice. This is why it's on the unsupported list for C4.

You say your job is big or complex. You probably also want to keep using the dealer. For ease of long term care and feeding find a solution they are happy fully supporting. If your dealer says  you wont be using vlans I'd ask them if they would consider the Ubi gear. Again, you want them to like the choices because when they come out to fix something you don't want them pointing at the gear and saying "we told you we didn't want to install this stuff".

I run multiple VLANS with ubiquiti, what kind of risk is there?

9 minutes ago, cybuch said:

I run multiple VLANS with ubiquiti, what kind of risk is there?

This is the statement from C4. Risk is just that. I don't think they are saying it wont work, but they do indicate there can be problems. It would seem that there is no intent to fix it either.

Router/Switch/AP Does not support PIM multicasting. Only supports IGMP which causes issues such as Control4 devices that fall offline due to UDP keep-alive being blocked through multicast routing. These issues manifest most commonly in large systems with dual transport devices ie. Matrix switches Tuners, Amplifiers, and Centralized Lighting

I'd have to second the Ubiquiti.  I have a fairly decent size home setup.  Running 7 Access points, 2 of which are outside (I go wireless to a pool house).

We also have 6 switches in place, most doing POE to AP and some POE devices.

I've had no problems with Macs, PC, Rasperry PI, Control4, Ring,  Ecobee, etc.  I also us the USG-PRO (their firewall).  I have the cloudkey (management platform) and run all myself.

I personally think Cisco would be overkill in cost and complexity. Not keen on Zyxel, and never use any of the others mentioned.

Unifi doesn't seem to have any problems with VLANS (I played with them), and quite honestly I don't see the need for VLANS in a home network.  But that's just me, I like to keep things simple.

I'd have to second the Ubiquiti.  I have a fairly decent size home setup.  Running 7 Access points, 2 of which are outside (I go wireless to a pool house).
We also have 6 switches in place, most doing POE to AP and some POE devices.
I've had no problems with Macs, PC, Rasperry PI, Control4, Ring,  Ecobee, etc.  I also us the USG-PRO (their firewall).  I have the cloudkey (management platform) and run all myself.
I personally think Cisco would be overkill in cost and complexity. Not keen on Zyxel, and never use any of the others mentioned.
Unifi doesn't seem to have any problems with VLANS (I played with them), and quite honestly I don't see the need for VLANS in a home network.  But that's just me, I like to keep things simple.

I vote Ubiquiti as well, but most importantly go with something that the installer is comfortable with unless you're taking responsibility for it. I have 5 different sites where we used Ubiquiti gear (all have Cloud Keys, USG, UAPs, and POE switches). Very solid, rarely need reboots or changes.

That being said, over the years I have had issues with Cloud Keys. The databases can get corrupted from sudden power loss (don't pull the plug), and I've seen firmware upgrade failures on the Cloud Keys that have left them in a bad state. When that happens it can be a pain to recover, but as long as you have backups like you should of the controller, it can be fixed. Then newest version of the cloud key is better because it has a built in battery to prevent database corruption on sudden power loss.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, dw886 said:

Then newest version of the cloud key is better because it has a built in battery to prevent database corruption on sudden power loss.

This plus the larger unit has a lot more processing power and can manage the cameras and 5TB of storage.

They say it doesn’t work because their pricing is disruptive to their pakedge sales model which is charge too much for their own products.  Also they don’t like that it is NOT a DIY product so you can get yourself into trouble.  With that said we have a ton of their hardware out there and have little to no issues.  We run our own controller on a garbage PC we have in our office and spend $0 on cloudkeys.  

I have 3 homes running pakedge Networking alll with several wap’s and the nk controller. I don’t have any problems. I setup and manage it myself. 

Anyone using pakedge having issues ?

Anyone use araknis products here.? Seems like the ovrc software is cool. 

Archived