C4 Forums | Control4

Pandora in the newest Beta?

xaveon

ive spoke to pandora directly about this many times.. trust me when i say you have no idea what you are talking about as well as my statement applies to your rhapsody remarks

Sonos has Pandora so saying that no company can integrate with them because they aren't allowing it is wrong. Just because Pandora wouldn't give a dealer the time of day doesn't mean anything. They probably made the right decision and want to make sure their product is represented accurately. I bet they'd be willing to deal with C4 directly before they would ever come to an agreement with a dealer.

As far as my statements about rhapsody there is no way to prove or disprove what I was saying. It's just speculation but one thing is for sure' date=' it took C4 an awful long time to come out with internet radio. It might have been on purpose (to sign up more Rhapsody accounts) or it might not have been. My guess is that it was on purpose. As far as C4 not pursuing Pandora integration, they hired an executive from RealNetworks (the creators of Rhapsody) as their new CEO. So It might be a long time before Pandora is integrated, if ever, depending on how much RealNetworks' stock Plaehn still owns. :P

[url']http://www.cepro.com/article/control4_taps_realnetworks_engineer_as_new_ceo/

Wait you mean BlackWire Designs is not a Fortune 500 company?

Pandora is very closed about their API.. no one CAN write an application for pandora because pandora doesnt want anyone to

I find it very hard to believe that every TV and set-top box that has Pandora integration was written by Pandora.

What makes Control4 any different?

There are various reasons and integration costs, which are factored into this, Control4 understands the need and will remain to look at the market options.

However, right now the easiest solution to integrate Control4 and Pandora is the EV driver with the Sonos player.

Matt

Personally, I feel that Pandora is far superior for music discovery when compared with Rhapsody. I have been using Rhapsody and Pandora for many many years now and it seems that Rhapsody Channels never seem to get it right! Whereas Pandora always gets it right! I'm sure their Thumb up/down feature helps a lot in improving accuracy.

I would side with those who say that C4 is the entity that is not willing to integrate. Pandora makes money two ways. #1 - Advertising. #2 - Annual Subscription (Pandora One). So why wouldn't they want to work with C4 (if C4 chose to), to expand their market share. Pandora is already on so many devices, it just seems illogical to believe that for some reason Pandora would be the one unwilling to integrate with C4.

As far as costing $1M to write a driver. I personally feel that is a huge exaggeration. Looking at Last.FM's API (architecturally, Pandora is very similar to Last.FM); the API is extremely simple. What are you doing? Authenticating, retrieving saved playlist (channels), creating new ones, and requesting streams (of course this is a simplistic look/overview). If someone is thinking that it would cost $1M to develop a Pandora driver, either that person is grossly exaggerating or C4 has some really stupid programmers.

Once again, personally, I feel that Sonos is the best in home distributed music player, par none. I think that anyone that has used Sonos and compared it with C4 would agree that C4 is way behind. Dare I say "suck" compared to Sonos. What C4 should do (if they have the money) is acquire Sonos and call it a day. The two would be a great match.

As far as costing $1M to write a driver. I personally feel that is a huge exaggeration. Looking at Last.FM's API (architecturally, Pandora is very similar to Last.FM); the API is extremely simple. What are you doing? Authenticating, retrieving saved playlist (channels), creating new ones, and requesting streams (of course this is a simplistic look/overview). If someone is thinking that it would cost $1M to develop a Pandora driver, either that person is grossly exaggerating or C4 has some really stupid programmers.

No one said it was $1M to write a 'Rhapsody Driver'.

Someone "heard" that someone else said that it cost Control4 $1M to integrate Rhapsody.

I've never heard the figure myself, don't know if it's real or some made up number.

That said, integrating with Rhapsody was more than just writing a driver.

Their search API may not be all that difficult, but integrating the actual streaming portion into Control4's streaming architecture, and complying with their security architecture (which I'm not going to go into the details) was quite involved.

Also, in the initial Rhapsody integration, *everything* in audio was integrated (playlists, artist search, album search, etc.). It fully integrated with your Control4 audio. That integration, and the fact that it was done originally on the 1st Gen QT UI, made it a much more difficult proposition than you would initially think. Cover art worked differently, everything worked differently.

I personally know every one of the developers who were involved in that integration, and none of them are stupid.

It was months of work for a good number of product managers, designers, developers, and testers. Whether it added up to $1M, I couldn't say, but it's multiple orders of magnitude more than just "writing a driver".

Having done it, I have no doubt that integrating something else would not be as much work as the "first time", and I'm certain at some point there will be additional music integration. I don't know where it places on the roadmap, but it's certainly been discussed.

RyanE

Just setup some of my albums on Rhapsody to play for the night...

Can I do this with Pandora?

I think you know the answer based on your previous post, Pandora is a music discovery service and is not going to give you that kind of functionality (that I know of, I use Slacker 99% more than Pandora).

And what do you mean (my) "your" albums? If Rhapsody quits paying for the rights to "your" albums, you won't be able to play them whether or not you own a physical copy.

Not a dig on Rhapsody, but similar to what has happened with Netflix streaming, if these services get too popular you will start seeing more and more missing albums, incomplete albums, etc. to convince you you still need to buy albums...

Not a dig on Rhapsody, but similar to what has happened with Netflix streaming, if these services get too popular you will start seeing more and more missing albums, incomplete albums, etc. to convince you you still need to buy albums...

Similar, possibly, but not in actuality.

I think music licensing is not nearly as competitive as movie licensing.

I would find it unlikely that any of the music licensing partners / studios would pull content as has happened with Netflix and some video.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but I find it much less likely.

RyanE

Just setup some of my albums on Rhapsody to play for the night...

Can I do this with Pandora?

I think you know the answer based on your previous post' date=' Pandora is a music discovery service and is not going to give you that kind of functionality (that I know of, I use Slacker 99% more than Pandora).

And what do you mean (my) "your" albums? If Rhapsody quits paying for the rights to "your" albums, you won't be able to play them whether or not you own a physical copy.

Not a dig on Rhapsody, but similar to what has happened with Netflix streaming, if these services get too popular you will start seeing more and more missing albums, incomplete albums, etc. to convince you you still need to buy albums...[/quote']

Yes, IMO I like Rhapsody and have a bunch of albums downloaded but we also use C4 Internet radio all the time.

Can use Pandora on our two BD players but we don't. Again we like the convenience of The album library and Internet radio.

• 3 weeks later...

At the end of the day, it is all about Partnerships and making money. If Music Studio's can convince Apple iTunes and/or Microsoft Zune to pay a premium for there Album Services, then you will see the Studio behave like in the post from "thegizzard". For Pandora, what is the gain of Partnering with C4. Possible the question for C4 is what is the value of that Partnership to access the Pandora Web Service. I am pretty sure they are asking for a Premium to interface with there services.

Just my 2cents

Archived