C4 Forums | Control4

Liftmaster garage integration

Nehsmit

Hi all,

I was at my local garage door company today and saw that they had a lift master Internet access for garage doors. They had a gateway for $70 and then for another $40 a new controller that would let you use your smart phone or Internet to control the garage door. I was wondering if anybody had any integration of this with Control 4?

Thanks in advance.

Nope its a closed API...  Alarm.com seems to have integrated, but through a partnership.  

I would think seeing Liftmaster in the largest garage door opener company in the U.S. that C4 would have partnered with them, but guess not. 

FYI, I just found this out - The units that have Security Plus 2.0 (MyQ Technology) are Serial Encrypted. Which means the unit is no longer an open/close circuit; it's now a communicative technology that works kind of like a telephone. The Door-control no longer has an open & closed circuit. It's like a mini computer, communicating with the operator.

See mine and others posts about this. The liftmaster 8550 does not have a dry contact closure but they have other models that do. You need a dry contact closure for the c4 relay to work. I (and others) have basically rigged a liftmaster remote to get triggered by the relay that then operates the garage door. I have a contact sensor on the garage door that tells me if it is open or closed. So my programming goes something like "if garage door sensor is open then send a pulse to close the door" and visa versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some people describe this as a hack job but I can tell you that the integration is great. When I go to sleep I hit a goodnight button and if the garage is open then it closes it. I didn't want to spend the money on a new garage door opener so this is working great for now.

Some people describe this as a hack job but I can tell you that the integration is great. When I go to sleep I hit a goodnight button and if the garage is open then it closes it. I didn't want to spend the money on a new garage door opener so this is working great for now.

Can you give me details on whats needed? Also some instructions if possible?

• 2 weeks later...

Automating the garage door is as simple as 2 conductors to the wall button in most cases, as mentioned above.  I have all 3 of my doors attached to control4 and with the security system's contacts to report the door's state it is easy to do simple things like a goodnight that closes the doors, a goodbye that opens the one i need to back out of, or polling the doors when I arm the alarm to close them first, then arm.  Good fun.  My wall mount buttons for the doors have 2 screw terminals and I just attached to them and through a control4 relay.  A momentary contact toggles the doors.

• 5 weeks later...

So I ran a cat5 line to where my wall mount push buttons are, this is all that's needed? I have 2 8500 openers with sensors on them to tell me if they are open or closed. I do have the lift master app but would like to integrate into the C4.

To see the status of open/closed you will also need wiring to the actual door.

If done properly, one CAT5 can be used to carry two contacts (open/closed status) and two relays (does the opening/closing). Each requires a simple two conductor cable. Being that CAT came has 4 pair, it works great for up to 2 doors. If you have more doors, you need more wire.

Sent from my Droid MAXX via Tapatalk.

I ran wires directly back to controller with my liftmaster.

See post:

http://www.c4forums.com/topic/13673-garage-door-relay/#entry116855

This no longer works on new Liftmaster openers with Security 2.0

Alarm.com partnered with Liftmaster and thus their system can control an opener. Would like to see C4 partner with them. A driver that works with MyQ would be great as it would provide control and it would know the door state without external sensors.

• 2 years later...

Archived