C4 Forums | Control4

How Many Networks Do You Have in Your House?

csmpez

When you say access points (AP) you're referring to Ubiquiti Network hardware (as an example)? I have a pretty good amount of Cat6 now all over the house to install some Ubiquiti LR AP models. So better to have this type of set up than rely on the Linksys for wifi... hmmm, okay.

Yes.

In my Home Theatre room I currently have the following devices connected to my wired LAN:  Control4 Controller, TV, AVR, HTPC, SageTV extender, Xbox360, Xbox One, Philips Hue Bridge and router/WAP.  Connected via Wifi are a Bowers & Wilkins music bridge, Harmony Hub and Wii.  I have four LAN drops in that room - that is why I need a separate cascaded switch.

Am I better off using Wifi than cascaded switches?

That would depend on WifI speed/strenght, speed and reliability of the devices' wifi and how many other WiFi devices are already on that AP. Most likely, in that sort of scenario, using a wired switch is the better choice.

See I told you there are situations where adding a switch locally are just something you end up stuck with - recommended or not. ;)

Another twist to the senario... So, I landed all my equipment on the Planet switch, which is now connected to the Cisco/Linksys router.  I will replace this router w/either a Asus RT-AC68U or Asus RT-AC87U router.

However, the trouble I'm running into is trying to put into "bridge mode" the Verizon router, Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I.  I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly.  I did turn off the wireless on the Actiontec router, changed the wifi connections to the Cisco/Linksys router and wired the Cisco/Linksys router to the Verizon router.  But, I haven't come across a great deal of useful information on the MI424WR (Rev. I) router being successfully set to "bridge mode."  I did read on a Verizon/Actiontec webpage that the Verizon Actiontec M1424WR (rev. I) is not a modem/router combo.  On the outside of our house, we have an Optical Network Terminal (ONT) that converts the fiber optics to either COAX or Ethernet (RJ45) for our internet.  I believe ours converts to Ethernet (RJ45) for our internet as we don't have Verizon FiOS TV service.  If we did, I believe it would be a MoCA system from the ONT, not ethernet, thus preventing you from directly connecting a router of your choice to the ONT.  This ONT in essance is doing the modem work, where the Verizon router is nothing more than a router.

Is this anything new here???  I'm just a little confused with this.  Interesting thing is I've had two routers in the rack for years, the Verizone one that handled wifi and interent (day to day stuff) and the Cisco/Linksys for the Control4 system data/traffic.  Now that I'm installing new controllers and other related gear, I have to change things like turn off the wifi on the Verizon router, set it to bridge mode (which I actually thought it was already set to bridge mode and so on).

Thanks!

Scott

In my Home Theatre room I currently have the following devices connected to my wired LAN:  Control4 Controller, TV, AVR, HTPC, SageTV extender, Xbox360, Xbox One, Philips Hue Bridge and router/WAP.  Connected via Wifi are a Bowers & Wilkins music bridge, Harmony Hub and Wii.  I have four LAN drops in that room - that is why I need a separate cascaded switch.

Am I better off using Wifi than cascaded switches?

You could probably safely put most all your 'sources' on a cascaded switch, because only one at any given time will likely need network access.

Then C4 and the WAP definitely get their own dedicated line.

• 4 weeks later...

I have my cable modem plugged into a Watchguard 525 firewall / router

I then have 4 wireless access points throughout the house.

I have 96 ports on my patch panels going to 1 x 48 port gigabit switch and then 1 x 48 port POE gigabit switch

I then have VLANS for wireless, Computers, Control4/TV, and that is it.

Archived