C4 Forums | Control4

Not Popular

My HC 800 has died and boy even the dog won't give me the time of day.

This is something I have feared from the get go.

House is dead ...............

Not loving automation not loving my automation.

Tried a reboot actually several the only lights that stay on is the power.

errrrrrr.

My HC 800 has died and boy even the dog won't give me the time of day.

This is something I have feared from the get go.

House is dead ...............

Not loving automation not loving my automation.

Tried a reboot actually several the only lights that stay on is the power.

errrrrrr.

My HC 1000 died last month and a bricked house is absolutely no fun. I can attest to that. My dealer was very responsive however and I replaced the 1000 with an 800 - it is faster. The down time was simply unbearable.

Bill

Couple years back it was suggested on this very forum, that there should be an easy way for a home owner to reboot a different controller with a backed up project to get up and

running again..even automatic redundancy built in somehow..

The argument put forward was HA was becoming more and more entwined in folks lives...even running critical things like security and power to various devices

...For JUST this situation you are going thru prabeau

Nothing ever came of it AFAIK...

The come back was "call your dealer"..

Yeah?  OK like 0200 in the morning prior to Thanksgiving ...for a call out 100KM from town?

The HA industry in general and C4 in particular have never given this issue the thought, priority and resources it truly deserves..

Is this a criticism of the C4 "model"? Or the lack of priority of this in software development? Or the need to allow more easier hands on control of users projects? Darn right it is.. 

But like is so often said: nobody pays any attention to what's said around here.

So lets be positive about this: Most large projects would have a couple of controllers in them, capable of running the show. Or ones left over from an upgrade:

HC1000> HC800 (example given above)...

Can I be so bold as to suggest perhaps Control4 should:

1/ Have clear instructions on the website about what to do in this situation.

2/ Perhaps write a piece of software on OSX or Win that a home owner could use, that could automatically reload a backed up project onto a different controller. Or build USB input into all controllers to allow an autoboot straight from USB.. 

3/ Have a list of secondary dealers one could call or contact available via a website search: who can do this for people via online..

4/ Maybe write some sort of automatic redundancy software that can reboot a different controller with director... ?

5/ Have a checklist for users to inform them what critical devices should/should not be on HA controlled GPO's or under HA lit lighting.. and how to build backup of critical things like Thermostat's heating and security..

Over and out. :)

Well my dealer came through.

Very interesting discovery however.

When his tekkie shows up and connects to my system he discovers that the director is off line. Simple tap in Composer Pro and voilà.

It turn out that another client has had the same experience and feels that 2.6 could be to blame..........

To follow

Its back except for one room.

6 button keypad in one room his not functioning I can access it and make it work through Composer

and all functions work via touch screen.

Will have to read up on a reset I guess. Its functions include the laundry room lights ........... guess who is doing the wash till the lights come on.

Well my dealer came through.

Very interesting discovery however.

When his tekkie shows up and connects to my system he discovers that the director is off line. Simple tap in Composer Pro and voilà.

It turn out that another client has had the same experience and feels that 2.6 could be to blame..........

To follow

On my new HC800 it went dead within a week - same fix - just get on line and start the director service. I paid to have my 1000 repaired - but I am wondering if that is all it was on the 1000 as well - 

On my new HC800 it went dead within a week - same fix - just get on line and start the director service. I paid to have my 1000 repaired - but I am wondering if that is all it was on the 1000 as well - 

That is the question isn't it. I am waiting for this to happen again as there was no real fix, why did the director go off line ... time will tell.

OH! And redundancy IS possible in the right setup - to some degree. Main controller does NOT do Zigbee, director only. Load identical projects on two (identical) controllers, identify each controller as the 'main' controller in the two loaded projects, turn one off.

Failure of system, turn unit "A" off (just in case) - turn unit "B" on.

OH! And redundancy IS possible in the right setup - to some degree. Main controller does NOT do Zigbee, director only. Load identical projects on two (identical) controllers, identify each controller as the 'main' controller in the two loaded projects, turn one off.

Failure of system, turn unit "A" off (just in case) - turn unit "B" on.

So I could do this with my 1000? Use the 800 but if it has an issue switch to the 1000 and use a 200 for the zigbee, slow as it is. Maybe worth keeping the 1000. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The only reboot I know that seems to work best is too power down the whole rack, minimum 5 mins (till all power supplies die)

Havent had to do this often but always gave me the results.

What is interesting is the fact that my dealer has had the same issue with another customer the same day.

Still learning!

That is the question isn't it. I am waiting for this to happen again as there was no real fix, why did the director go off line ... time will tell.

It just happened to me again just now - I re-booted and it all came back on line.  I hope that someone figures this out soon as it is pretty irritating - i can handle it when I am in town, but my wife is not up to this task.

Bill

So I could do this with my 1000? Use the 800 but if it has an issue switch to the 1000 and use a 200 for the zigbee, slow as it is. Maybe worth keeping the 1000. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Technically you COULD do this, however I've found it gets wonky if you don't use two IDENTICAL controllers - ie two 800's, two 250's and so on.

It just happened to me again just now - I re-booted and it all came back on line.  I hope that someone figures this out soon as it is pretty irritating - i can handle it when I am in town, but my wife is not up to this task.

Bill

you don't happen to have the new sonos driver installed on 2.6 do you?

Archived