C4 Forums | Control4

Doorbell Camera - RING

blackfiveo1

I have a couple of these and they work quite well. They say on their website they are developing an API so id imagine once they have completed that a driver could be written to intergrate with C4.

If the gurus that write drivers feel there is a market for it I imagine :-)

• 1 year later...

I believe ring is cloud based... So doubtful... Furthermore anyone using c4 should really reconsider using cloud based products. You have a great lan controller, for the love of ... Control things on the lan. Wan access, yes! But wan control; I hate it (have to use it sometimes, but always prefer not too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, Audio Obsessions said:

I believe ring is cloud based... So doubtful... Furthermore anyone using c4 should really reconsider using cloud based products. You have a great lan controller, for the love of ... Control things on the lan. Wan access, yes! But wan control; I hate it (have to use it sometimes, but always prefer not too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i gave up on Ring. I plan on adding blue iris for several cameras and wanted to know what is "RING-Like" that blue iris can interrogate so i can add my control4. thanks ahead

1 hour ago, StroTek LLC said:

The doorbird is right between the ring doorbell and the control4 door stations.. and for me its a perfect compromise

Agreed 100%.  And the products are stylish and more sophisticated looking than Ring or any of the other new doorbells.

@ILoveC4 Reading the documentation that comes with the doorbird it states:

The Video Door Station can be powered by two simple doorbell wires using the power-supply unit (Mains adapter) supplied with it or via PoE using a network cable. The Video Door Station can alternatively also be supplied with a DIN-rail power supply unit that you can obtain from us directly.

There is no subscription at the moment because their cloud service is in beta. Once it goes live there will be a fee. At the moment the only thing it does is live video and takes a picture and stores it locally, no recorded video/audio. It only stores 20 pictures from the doorbell button press and 20 from motion which. You also can't manually delete them they just overlap the last image.

You can record video with your NVR via RTSP but they will not allow audio at the moment because of European law. I was hoping to use the camera as both a doorbell and as an additional security camera but the quality is not good outside of the tiny video feed on the phone. According to DoorBird "The DoorBird was designed as a Video Door Station, not as a super duper security camera :)".

The live video is pretty good but you can only view the video vertically on the phone, it doesn't adjust when you turn th phone horizontally. The audio/voice sounded excellent.

I really wanted to like the thing because it's one of the few that integrates with c4 pretty well, but to me it is far from a complete product. Both the hardware and software felt like a prototype.

Archived