C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI over Cat5/6

Hello,

I'm looking for some advise with HDMI Exterders or HD-BaseT.

So we ran Ca6 Cables behind the TV's for the Project and put the Cable Boxes in the Wiring Room.

Which HDMI Externder do you guys recommned?

I had used these Vanco's but find that once in while I would get a 1-2 Second Freeze in the Video

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/HDMI_162/HDMI-over-Single-Cat5eCat6-Cable-Extender_1457

I was told to use an HD BaseT Kit, so I tried once from Atlona, but for some reason i get chopy video and no sound.

http://atlona.com/product/at-hdrx/

Called support and was told to upgrade the Firmware.

Any direction on which is the best to use.

Thanks

Everything is in a Patch Panel and Jacks by the TV

Would you say I should go with CAT6 Shielded Patch Cables or Remove the Patch Panel and Jacks and use CAT6 Shielded RJ45 Crimps ?

Plug into the patch panel and see if it works.

Optimally you would have.

HDMI source / AVR or matrix output > Balun > CAT6s cable with RJ on it > Balun > HDMI destination (telly / projector)

Hdbaset spec allows for 2 patch cords within the signal chain. So your setup should be absolutely fine. I have many installs using CAT6 UTP wire that experience no issues at all.

Shielded is preferred but not needed. I would check the actual cabling for any anomalies before pointing fingers at the Extender product.

• 2 weeks later...

I got a question on this side . i currently have a cat5 for ir extender but i would like to use it for hdmi and ir at the same time . is it possible ? The balun will be connect directly to my tv decoder. And no i can't pull a new cat/5 behind my tv  :(  .....

I got a question on this side . i currently have a cat5 for ir extender but i would like to use it for hdmi and ir at the same time . is it possible ? The balun will be connect directly to my tv decoder. And no i can't pull a new cat/5 behind my tv  :(  .....

Yes, many popular HDMI extenders, including HDbaseT models, can also provide an IR path on a single category cable, some even do RS232 and Ethernet.

Archived