C4 Forums | Control4

Guaranteed to work Ethernet switch

meracus

Blackwire has tested numerous Planet switches to great success - they are indeed ont he recommended list by C4 - but as setup by Blackwire (managed switches).

Snap A/V has the Araknis line and a switch that is tested and recommended by C4 that fits the bill.

Pakedge (well yeah...they now own it)

Dlink DGS 1210 and 1500

Netgear FSxxxxTP

Luxul XMS

Still can't wrap my head around TrendNet being on there but sure.

The above are all on C4's recommended list and have been tested accordingly.

The Cisco is NOT - not because there's anything wrong with it but because they are MANAGED switches which is not recommended by C4 due to the setup involved (hence BLACKWIRE int he list but not PLANET, and Pakedge is the other exception because they own it and thus now have people and direct knowledge in house to walk dealers through setup).

Personally I love the Cisco 300 and 500 series, BUT you need to be able to set it up right for C4 and I understand and agree that thus it's not recommended as such because too many dealers CANNOT do this).

You want it easy and WELL priced - I'd suggest going through Blackwire at least in the US. Of course there's not being a dealer problem - in which case I'd have you look at (yes indeed) D-Link or Netgear. Again I personally like the Cisco, but there's that managed switch thing...

One very important point to remember is to look at the PoE budget - 180 W is only good for ~ 10 C4 devices or so. There's plenty out there that may have 24 ports that do PoE, but that in no way means it can provide enough power for 24 PoE devices.

Also check that PoE is ENOUGH for your needs - PoE+ requirements are becoming more common these days (EA3 for example, though T3 does not need it)

1 hour ago, Johann Stroh said:

What kinda setup would you need for C4 vs most other robust networks on your managed switch?

Just curious.. I have a SG300 that is rock solid for me

Like I said, 300 is great, but it goes wonky once you start managing it IF you do it wrong.

For 'basic' operation, a managed switch needs to be dumbed down (to a 'normal' switch) - and some will come factory at the right setting.

The reason for it not being recommended lies in the fact that C4 wouldn't (and shouldn't) want to hold every dealer's hand every time they deploy one, and for every possible managed switch brand and model - networking is undoubtedly the number 1 problem in tech support as it is.

i'm running a cisco 3560x 48 port, but my current problem is POE and not having UPOE, so upgrading to 3850. also, c4 has a problem with spanning tree protocol, which is a pain in my ass, so had to restrict it on the switch. if you/your dealer are network engineers, enterprise cisco products are excellent, but highly recommend staying away from anything cisco unless you're willing to learn about or pay for L2/L3 switching knowledge. 

15 minutes ago, Christopher Spitler said:

i'm running a cisco 3560x 48 port, but my current problem is POE and not having UPOE, so upgrading to 3850. also, c4 has a problem with spanning tree protocol, which is a pain in my ass, so had to restrict it on the switch. if you/your dealer are network engineers, enterprise cisco products are excellent, but highly recommend staying away from anything cisco unless you're willing to learn about or pay for L2/L3 switching knowledge. 

Hi,

Can you describe the problems C4 has with spanning tree? 

26 minutes ago, rayk32 said:

Hi,

Can you describe the problems C4 has with spanning tree? 

hey @rayk32, when i built my house, i installed a very resilient setup. at the access layer, i have multiple vlans for security, user, guest, and home automation with some quite extensive ACLs between to control traffic. however, before i set all of that up, i ran c4 on the user vlan, and had tons of stp block issues on the hc800 port. ended up using the portfast config, and then eventually migrated to it's own vlan. 

Interesting.  So the switch port was just blocking or was it seeing a topology change that caused the port to repeatedly fluctuate from forwarding to blocking?  I'm very curious as to why a controller would be acting like a switch and try to influence Spanning Tree.  I sure hope C4 controllers don't send out BPDU's.

I have a collapsed core network in my house with one core switch (Layer-3 in the core) and a few access switches.  All host ports are configured as follows:

switchport access vlan XX
 switchport mode access
 spanning-tree portfast
 spanning-tree bpduguard enable

Luckily, I haven't seen any network problems.

so i think that was the issue at some point (BDPU coming from a controller) but i'm really having trouble remembering right now. i just left for china but i'll restore my configs to original version to see if i can replicate later. that said, counters currently show BDPU received on that port at zero, so that's good:

Port 26 (GigabitEthernet0/26) of VLAN0201 is designated forwarding 

Port path cost 4, Port priority 128, Port Identifier 128.26.

Designated root has priority 28672, address 7085.c641.6d1f

Designated bridge has priority 32769, address 1ce8.5dbf.2900

Designated port id is 128.26, designated path cost 19

Timers: message age 0, forward delay 0, hold 0

Number of transitions to forwarding state: 1

The port is in the portfast mode by default

Link type is point-to-point by default

BPDU: sent 387, received 0

my real network issue is with my aruba access points. i have two in the house, as one is not enough, but two is too much. i'm waiting for a controller instead of using instant OS (given recent flaws) so i can adjust the rf power of the radios/bands. the primary problem this is causing is mac flapping between two ports on the switch (i have 802.11r enabled...) and it's filling up my logs haha.

On the cheap side, TP-Link product are so cheap surprisingly well built and I never have any issue using them with a C4 system. You can get a true 1Gpbs, full bandwidth 24 port TP-Link rack switch with metal casing and built-in power supply for around $100

On 5/18/2016 at 10:11 AM, Christopher Spitler said:

so i think that was the issue at some point (BDPU coming from a controller) but i'm really having trouble remembering right now. i just left for china but i'll restore my configs to original version to see if i can replicate later. that said, counters currently show BDPU received on that port at zero, so that's good:

my real network issue is with my aruba access points. i have two in the house, as one is not enough, but two is too much. i'm waiting for a controller instead of using instant OS (given recent flaws) so i can adjust the rf power of the radios/bands. the primary problem this is causing is mac flapping between two ports on the switch (i have 802.11r enabled...) and it's filling up my logs haha.

With Aruba Instant, one AP is acting as a virtual controller and should manage and adjust the power and RF coverage of all the AP's that are joined to it.  You really want the controller to manage the RF.  How close are the AP's to each other?  The biggest concern is that you don't want your clients constantly jumping back and forth between the 2 AP's.  I have an Aruba 3200 controller with 2 AP's and a Cisco WLC 2500 with 2 AP's running in my small house and I haven't experienced that issue.  I have 2 AP's on the top floor and 2 in the basement ... 1 Aruba and 1 Cisco per floor. 

802.11r is primarily for wireless voice over WiFi, which is necessary while moving from one AP to another when in motion and leveraging your wireless network instead of using cellular.  You can also use it for other wireless devices that are in motion.  That might be why you are seeing the MAC flapping between the two ports because your devices are flipping back and forth between the 2 AP's.

I really like those Aruba Instant AP's. 

yep :) i'm not sure how they're working that out though. they're about 65' apart, recommended spacing is 50' in mixed material environments, given it's all sheetrock , i did 65' per recommendation of our SE. i think that .11r is causing the issue, so when i get back from overseas i need to set up a non-.11r SSID and see if that helps. of course im running all apple gear, so the .11r is not helping for sure. i have a controller for the environment i just haven't moved the instant APs over to the controller, i'm away from home too much so not enough time. 

yeah, the instant APs are great, but with all of the instant OS vulnerabilities released a short time ago, i may need to switch them out until they have a solid software version out. i dont feel good passing radius certs over that hardware anymore....

• 2 weeks later...

Archived