C4 Forums | Control4

Best brand TV for IP integration to Control4

JEvans

1 hour ago, annex⁴ said:

The driver is nowhere near your speculated costs

I'm not speculating at all - I stated that it would greatly depend on what the cost would be. The two large range examples I stated were just basic 'extremes' used for example. I sincerely doubt anyone but yourself made the assumption I was speculating on the actual cost (considering I STATED I did not know the cost)

1 hour ago, annex⁴ said:

I will also state you are entitled to your opinion, yet you have no experience with our LG driver, and can only experience lesser quality TV drivers that do not have the same level of integration the LG does with features or mini drivers.

I will also state that I never said it wasn't worth it - was only stating that it's worth is limited if all you do with a TV is use it as a monitor.

The driver may be the greatest thing since sliced bread - but if you do not USE any of the features, it's still not worth a penny.

And while I have not used your DRIVER - I sure have used the LG TVs, inside and outside of C4, including their most recent models, and those not even on the market yet. So yes, I feel that I've got a fair 'entitlement' to comment on the use of the driver for these EXTRA functions based on the value of the EXTRAS themselves. YOUR opinion will certainly differ from mine on the function of the TV apps vs other, dedicated 3rd party devices made for the functions. People can make of that what they will.

I'm well aware that you tend to feel attacked by anything remotely negative about the company or it's drivers - but reasonable argument considering the value of a (paid) driver in the user case(s) that I was commenting on is no 'attack' by any stretch. Don't be so prickly on the subject matter.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

I'm not speculating at all - I stated that it would greatly depend on what the cost would be. The two large range examples I stated were just basic 'extremes' used for example. I sincerely doubt anyone but yourself made the assumption I was speculating on the actual cost (considering I STATED I did not know the cost)

I will also state that I never said it wasn't worth it - was only stating that it's worth is limited if all you do with a TV is use it as a monitor.

The driver may be the greatest thing since sliced bread - but if you do not USE any of the features, it's still not worth a penny.

And while I have not used your DRIVER - I sure have used the LG TVs, inside and outside of C4, including their most recent models, and those not even on the market yet. So yes, I feel that I've got a fair 'entitlement' to comment on the use of the driver for these EXTRA functions based on the value of the EXTRAS themselves. YOUR opinion will certainly differ from mine on the function of the TV apps vs other, dedicated 3rd party devices made for the functions. People can make of that what they will.

I'm well aware that you tend to feel attacked by anything remotely negative about the company or it's drivers - but reasonable argument considering the value of a (paid) driver in the user case(s) that I was commenting on is no 'attack' by any stretch. Don't be so prickly on the subject matter.

Myself or a company I am involved in does not feel attacked by you. You like to comment on anything and everything, even things you know little about. To be honest I find you add minimal value to this forum, especially when you comment the same thing as 3 other people most of the times. I wish I had the time to worry about boosting my post count or making myself sound important. 

I highly doubt you have used TVs from LG that have yet to hit the market, maybe seen if you went to CES, but whatever makes you feel important.

Seeing as how there are very few apps or any drivers that do what ours does with a TV you use of an LG TV or any other does not reflect the experience with something you haven't used.

It's noted your opinion is to sell more devices. Ours is with the annex4 driver it's not needed.

Again I could care less of what you have to say, but some people on here not in the know could take your opinion as fact, especially from someone with boosted post counts that could look important.

On 08/01/2017 at 10:29 PM, JEvans said:

Is there a particular brand TV that integrates best with control4 of IP? 

To get back on topic, our opinion would be that the brand that best integrates via Control4 would be LG(due to features/experience not because we sell it). It is the most feature rich experience for a TV and allows you to easily leverage the built-in services.

The cost is minimal for the features you get. Even if you are not fully using everything built in the setup typically saves labour costs and has been extremely reliable.

There is a 21 day trial which will give you ample time to try the driver and see if the features are to your liking.

There are a few dealers here that have done a number of installs remotely that I'm sure will gladly give you their opinion on our driver and what you may need. Maybe reach out an PM a couple of them.

1 minute ago, ILoveControl said:

Really interested to see that non of the Samsung smart TVs are on the list. They huge in market (non US) In fact Sony TVs don't exist here. Are there no IP integrated drivers for the Samsung smart TVS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the problem with Samsung has always been that you can not power on via IP.

37 minutes ago, ILoveControl said:

That makes total sense, man such a simple thing you would expect them by 2016 to have had this sorted :(

Yeah I agree. Would love to get rid of my serial connections to them. From what I have read the issue is that it will affect their Energy Star rating if they left the port on (I have no idea if this is true or not).

Yeah I agree. Would love to get rid of my serial connections to them. From what I have read the issue is that it will affect their Energy Star rating if they left the port on (I have no idea if this is true or not).

Sounds like one of those excuses that are so complicated to investigate we just smile and buy a different TV

3 hours ago, ILoveControl said:

Really interested to see that non of the Samsung smart TVs are on the list. They huge in market (non US) In fact Sony TVs don't exist here. Are there no IP integrated drivers for the Samsung smart TVS?

we never did get the Samsung driver via Exlink to work - I am not aware of any real IP driver for Samsung (WiFi or RJ45).

From what I read around C4F Sony does work ok and the above mentioned LG driver seems to be excellent.

12 minutes ago, blub said:

we never did get the Samsung driver via Exlink to work - I am not aware of any real IP driver for Samsung (WiFi or RJ45).

I have 2 TVs using the Samsung EX-Link Serial driver. They both go through a Global Cache iTach. Been very reliable.

There is definitely a way to control the Samsung Smart TVs via IP for everything except power on. I know Simple Control has been doing it for awhile. 

7 minutes ago, therockhr said:

I have 2 TVs using the Samsung EX-Link Serial driver. They both go through a Global Cache iTach. Been very reliable.

There is definitely a way to ontrol the Samsung Smart TVs via IP for everything except power on. I know Simple Control has been doing it for awhile. 

Ah ok, maybe I will give it another try

6 hours ago, blub said:

Ah ok, maybe I will give it another try

EX link reliability seems very dependent on the model - also the settings required also differ per model (driver document tab gives most scenarios, and it's probably about two pages long if printed...). I have two Sammies in my house - on my main TV it's absolutely flawless, the other one it wouldn't turn the tv off half the time (moved it to IR). It would appear the more recent models are all OK (at least in the UN series).

6 hours ago, blub said:

for everything except power on

Which is kind of crucial. I suppose dual driver could be made, but by that time, EX-Link makes more sense - when it DOES work, it works well.

I'm having a lot of trouble with the ip driver for my Sony Bravia 4K. It just randomly stops working, or only some of the features will work. The TV is hard wired, but it is being distributed through a managed switch. Anyone think this could be the issue? 

2 hours ago, Shardik said:

I'm having a lot of trouble with the ip driver for my Sony Bravia 4K. It just randomly stops working, or only some of the features will work. The TV is hard wired, but it is being distributed through a managed switch. Anyone think this could be the issue? 

Is it a D series TV?

Panasonic 800/900 series. Cannot be beat. The driver is better than the Sony drivers (input swiching on a pansonic doesnt have the same delay you see from the certified sony drivers)

The panasonic even adds a mini driver Panasonic TV apps to control things like netflix built right it. It also works great. 2 way volume control.

I have yet to see my panasonic dropp offline. I have it hooked up with WiFi and its still solid

We have 5 Sony TVs (1 75X940D and 4 65X750D), all have been flawless with IP control. I would strongly recommend them. The one time I had an issue with On/Off control had to do with an IP conflict between 2 TVs. Since then they have been perfect.

We have updated our LG WebOS driver today to include our LiNK Reveal API, this allows devices to automatically send toast messages to each other.  Our first pairing of this the OPPO UDP-203 and the LG WebOS Drivers.  You will get a notification on disc type/change, power on/off, and tray opened/closed.

We have some other amazing features coming for both of these drivers in the coming weeks also.

15 minutes ago, annex⁴ said:

We have updated our LG WebOS driver today to include our LiNK Reveal API, this allows devices to automatically send toast messages to each other.  Our first pairing of this the OPPO UDP-203 and the LG WebOS Drivers.  You will get a notification on disc type/change, power on/off, and tray opened/closed.

We have some other amazing features coming for both of these drivers in the coming weeks also.

Can you give an example of the new feature for the lg tvs?

Archived