C4 Forums | Control4

Why don't C4 controllers have Bluetooth?

zaphod

But IR only has range as far as a cord in most instances. 

I know that this won't work so well for a centralized systems but doesn't the typical system have a controller sitting with other AV components under a TV, or on a shelf beside the TV?  Why would range be an issue for those considerations to control a PS4, Switch, PC, Xbox, AndroidTV device, etc?  And don't many SoCs come with Bluetooth built in, or very easy and cheap to implement.  A Raspberry Pi Zero W has Bluetooth alongside the rest of a complete SoC and is $10.

I know IR can be extended, but it usually doesn't have to.  Nor would BT in most instances.  But wouldn't a Bluetooth bridge like this do the trick?  (Assuming that this product was released - it seems to have been announced at CES a year ago but it isn't clear if it is shipping)

I don't mean to be cheeky, but there must be (not exaggerating) over a billion devices on the planet that have both wifi and BT.  (like every smartphone, tablet, Amazon echo, laptop, etc).  They manage to coexist without F'n each other up.  Why can't a C4 controller?  I probably have at least two dozen of said devices in my home. 

Does Zigbee cause additional issues.

Because many of these devices don't offer IP control for various reasons, often security I assume.  Is that not the case with AndroidTV devices (other than adb or hacks), gaming devices like Nintendo Wii or Switch, Sony PS4 and others - they have IP addresses on your LAN but you can't control them via IP?  Don't C4 users use a USB Ir device for boxes like the Shield?

I can use my Harmony remote control to control a BT device, why shouldn't a C4 remote (or Nav) have the same functionality?

But dealers are buying IR units to allow control of the Nvidia Shield and PS4, are they not?  And they are not installing "No control" drivers for Nintendo game devices?  My dealer just did for me when I got my kids a Nintendo Switch for Christmas.  Isn't a "control" driver better than a "no control" driver?

In most instances you will be using a gaming controller, but it you want to use a gaming device to watch Netflix, Plex or Kodi then just using your C4 remote makes sense.  But you have to buy additional devices to do so today.  I believe there is a thread here on the front page about just such a device for a PS4.

Harmony remotes are designed to stay in one room, where BT range isn't an issue. Control4 remotes are not. Plus, Harmony assumes all your equipment is in that room, again, negating the BT range issue. In Control4, you frequently have sources in a centralized location or in multiple locations.

BT range is a deal breaker for everything but static one-room solutions.

Harmony remotes are designed to stay in one room, where BT range isn't an issue. Control4 remotes are not. Plus, Harmony assumes all your equipment is in that room, again, negating the BT range issue. In Control4, you frequently have sources in a centralized location or in multiple locations.

BT range is a deal breaker for everything but static one-room solutions.
But nothing prevents anyone from building like a z2bt hardware. What limits people is the market. There would be no roi

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

Doesn’t BT make sense in any and all instances where you have one controller per room with AV controlled by C4.  I assumed that only a small minority of C4 setups have centralized sources, but maybe I am wrong on that.  Does anyone know the stats on that?

Are C4 remotes really meant to travel through your house?  To me it makes sense to have one per room, and that’s especially the case if you are going to have multiple TVs in use at the same time. And aren’t the buttons on remotes mapped to a room anyhow?  When you press a blue button the blue button is found under rooms on Composer. 

Another use case case for BT is to feed headphones. I bought a BT transmitter on Amazon that I plug into the headphone output of the AVR in my bedroom to listen to TV or music in bed when I am not allowed to make any noise due to kids or wife. It would be nice to be able to switch audio to BT if possible. 

While we are discussing future functionality another interesting idea would be to give  C4 controllers AndroidTV capabilities. I am not 100% sold on that but it is interesting to think about. And you wouldn’t need to switch inputs on your TV to go from Navigator to content. 

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Doesn’t BT make sense in any and all instances where you have one controller per room with AV controlled by C4.  I assumed that only a small minority of C4 setups have centralized sources, but maybe I am wrong on that.  Does anyone know the stats on that?

no stats, but I would also say a small # of projects have BT control only devices

11 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Are C4 remotes really meant to travel through your house?  

yes, thats why they use zigbee

12 minutes ago, zaphod said:

And aren’t the buttons on remotes mapped to a room anyhow?  When you press a blue button the blue button is found under rooms on Composer. 

no, you use the list button to change rooms and then the blue button applies to that room. I do it nighty to turn out lights and TV's in rooms that no one is any longer in

13 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Another use case case for BT is to feed headphones. I bought a BT transmitter on Amazon that I plug into the headphone output of the AVR in my bedroom to listen to TV or music in bed when I am not allowed to make any noise due to kids or wife. It would be nice to be able to switch audio to BT if possible. 

BT for control and BT audio output as a different zone are totally different beats

13 minutes ago, zaphod said:

While we are discussing future functionality another interesting idea would be to give  C4 controllers AndroidTV capabilities. I am not 100% sold on that but it is interesting to think about. And you wouldn’t need to switch inputs on your TV to go from Navigator to content. 

you are all over the place...but yes, I tend to agree the controllers should do more then just Navigator

37 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

no stats, but I would also say a small # of projects have BT control only devices

yes, thats why they use zigbee

no, you use the list button to change rooms and then the blue button applies to that room. I do it nighty to turn out lights and TV's in rooms that no one is any longer in

BT for control and BT audio output as a different zone are totally different beats

you are all over the place...but yes, I tend to agree the controllers should do more then just Navigator

So then what do people do for control if they have one of the following:  PS4, Wii, Switch?  And the Shield (and other AndroidTV devices) would be more easily controlled with BT vs. other methods.  Some AndroidTV devices have built in IR, some don't.  Some have apps that can be controlled with IP but I don't think that is the case with all apps - I think it is true for stuff like Kodi and Plex but not native apps like Netflix, YouTube.

BT for audio and HID are two different beasts but there is no reason that it can't work.  Cars can have multiple BT conections to your phone -- for handsfree audio, data, etc.

AndroidTV had noting to do with BT (otherthan you can use BT to control AndroidTV devces) but I just thought I would throw that one out.  I have been reading up some of the stuff on Netplay and with AndroidTV on the controller it could act as a receiver for content from Netplay.  But even if you don't care about Netplay you can get almost al of the content you want with apps in AndroidTV so it can allow you to go back to one source in many instances.  A controller can act as an audio receiver of a sort with stuff like Shairbridge and Spotify Connect, so why not do the same with video?

13 hours ago, Cyknight said:

You mean why isn't there direct bluetooth connectivity in the software. Because of it's extremely limited use.

Again - what about for controlling the PS4?  Didn't you say this a couple of weeks ago about the IrUSB:

Now if we could get that expanded to control a PS4 I'll start buying these by the crate

So why wouldn't it be useful to be able to control a PS4?  Or a Shield without an IrUSB?  Or a PC?

Yeah, I personally don't see where I'd use it in my own system, much less any client systems we've installed over the years. PS4, XBox and the like I'd be more inclined to use IR on them given the limited amount I'd be controlling them anyway.

Bluetooth is finicky enough with headphones and car connectivity, I don't think I'd want to carry that potential headache over to AV systems that need to "just work".

As others have said, the ROI for this seems very limited which is probably why it's never been considered. I know this is the first time I've seen it come up myself. Neat idea, but limited in application.

My experience with Bluetooth -- every version of it, even the "good" version -- has been less than stellar. Its shit technology that is never implemented correctly by the vendor or manufacturer. Maybe next year they'll get it right. 🙄 Hard pass. Use something that works.

Bluetooth -- It'll be awesome next year!®️

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.