First and foremost:

-Stop using zwave locks

Second and almost as expensice

-Stop using zwave locks

Note:

-Zwave locks are garbage, stop using them

Advice? Get C4 locks

And stop using zwave locks

And no there are no zwave extenders. All you can do is add more zwave devices in between the last node and the next.

Did I note not to use zwave locks? Just want to be sure of it.

Uhm.

First and foremost:

-Stop using zwave locks

-Stop using zwave locks

Note:

Advice? Get C4 locks

And no there are no zwave extenders. All you can do is add more zwave devices in between the last node and the next.

I may or may not have laughed abit too hard at this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Uhm.

First and foremost:

-Stop using zwave locks

-Stop using zwave locks

Note:

Advice? Get C4 locks

... loud and clear.  Better yet anyway to obtain the zigbee module insert for a Kwikset Obsidian lock?

What’s wrong with z-wave locks? My Schlage lock ran very well. My C4 zigbee locks always died after 4 months and constantly threw low battery warning notifications. Just curious why people think that z-wave locks are junk? Are is it z-wave you think is junk?

Zwave locks have an extremely limited range due to security concern, have added 'pad on' security features that tend to get 'forgotten' by zwave hubs (C4's own being one of the more stable) and are poor at communicating status.

Every Kwikset C4 lock I've installed comes with the note that it needs to be properly aligned (as should any motor driven lock) and I've not had ONE die on me ever. Batteries in regular setup tend to last 1 year plus (stop using cheap batteries). Yale a little less success though the issues have only really been with the touch faces.

Every SINGLE Zwave lock we've dealt with so far (we don't supply them) has had to be replaced within 2 years, with over half of them within the year.

See why I say stop using Zwave locks?

As for buying C4 locks outside of a dealer...well that's kind of how C4 operates so....

Module for kwikset? Well that's where I'm finding them lacking - Yale sells the modules separately through C4/dealer) and I wish kwikset did too.

In the end, to each there own. Zwave lock are avialable, can be integrated a few ways -  but I test zwave locks that integrate (via Vera or direct) at least once a year, and every time I find them lacking.

Zwave locks have an extremely limited range due to security concern, have added 'pad on' security features that tend to get 'forgotten' by zwave hubs (C4's own being one of the more stable) and are poor at communicating status.
Every Kwikset C4 lock I've installed comes with the note that it needs to be properly aligned (as should any motor driven lock) and I've not had ONE die on me ever. Batteries in regular setup tend to last 1 year plus (stop using cheap batteries). Yale a little less success though the issues have only really been with the touch faces.
Every SINGLE Zwave lock we've dealt with so far (we don't supply them) has had to be replaced within 2 years, with over half of them within the year.

See why I say stop using Zwave locks?

As for buying C4 locks outside of a dealer...well that's kind of how C4 operates so....
Module for kwikset? Well that's where I'm finding them lacking - Yale sells the modules separately through C4/dealer) and I wish kwikset did too.

In the end, to each there own. Zwave lock are avialable, can be integrated a few ways -  but I test zwave locks that integrate (via Vera or direct) at least once a year, and every time I find them lacking.

Cyknight, as always we appreciate your candor and insight.

So is it because you aren’t the only ones that can supply them? I’m struggling with this.

And frankly, z-wave plus devices have fantastic range. I have two Schlage locks that are over 5 years old. With the C4 z-wave module, they have performed better than my c4 locks. The c4 options are not the greatest and cost twice as much as they should. To the OP, just get help from a dealer that understands z-wave. The guy I worked with did a great job and realized that each protocol has its own little quirks. I’m sure it sucks when we can drive to Home Depot and get a $169 Schlage lock that isn’t locked down by C4. But not all of us end users have thousands and thousands to spend.

I just don’t want people steering away from them because some people might not know how to integrate them. And no, the Vera integration doesn’t count. I used it before by itself and it was crap. Go ahead and buy the C4 z-wave dongle and it will be fine. If you need help finding someone that will add it and the door lock, just send me a message.

9 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

I just don’t want people steering away from them because some people might not know how to integrate them. And no, the Vera integration doesn’t count. I used it before by itself and it was crap. Go ahead and buy the C4 z-wave dongle and it will be fine. If you need help finding someone that will add it and the door lock, just send me a message.

I personally do see the point of running 1-2 z-wave devices when I already have 10-20 ZigBee devices! yes c4 lock are more $$, I have never had a lock stop.. I have had my locks for close to 10yrs!

So is it because you aren’t the only ones that can supply them? I’m struggling with this.

No idea where you got this from. WE don't supply ZWave locks because we don't want to be responsible for them, and we do not charge for troubleshooting or warranty related labour for anything we supply. As mentioned, we've HAVE integrated them.

And frankly, z-wave plus devices have fantastic range. I have two Schlage locks that are over 5 years old. With the C4 z-wave module, they have performed better than my c4 locks.

Glad you've had better success

because some people might not know how to integrate them

Rather presumptuous here though. But if it makes you feel better, keep believing it. In the mean time I'll keep installing ZWave as I've been for years, and stay away from locks.

I tend to agree although my experience was 3 years ago, Zwave Integration via Vera was pain in the neck and I completely removed Zwave locks and Vera and went with C4 KS locks! With a healthy and strong Zigbee Network and IKEA charagable batteries, I change them every 10-12 months depending on use

• 2 weeks later...

An update.  While @Cyknight advised against zwave locks, I was already committed with owning two of the them (Obsidian) and the C4 zwave module.  I was able to add in an Aeotec Range Extender 6 (the Range Extender 7 did not work for me) to the zwave mesh, greatly improving the reach and making reliable connections to my farthest lock.  Currently working great.  One note on adding the Range Extender 6: it requires a two press button action to add it with the right security protocol.   We'll see how it goes in the long run.

• 4 months later...
On 5/23/2020 at 2:29 PM, GRV said:

An update.  While @Cyknight advised against zwave locks, I was already committed with owning two of the them (Obsidian) and the C4 zwave module.  I was able to add in an Aeotec Range Extender 6 (the Range Extender 7 did not work for me) to the zwave mesh, greatly improving the reach and making reliable connections to my farthest lock.  Currently working great.  One note on adding the Range Extender 6: it requires a two press button action to add it with the right security protocol.   We'll see how it goes in the long run.

I’m in a similar position debating between whether to integrate through the Vera or using the C4 dongle. Helpful to know your experience to get the small C4 zwave mesh where it needs to be if I go that route. 

Can anyone share whether linking the Schlage z-Wave locks through Vera into control 4 will allow for user code management in Control4?  If that works well it would be my best option since the Vera zwave mesh is very large and robust given all my lights are on it. 

I don’t remember being able to manage codes through the z-wave lock. Seems like it was missing a few things. As far as Vera vs. C4 dongle, there are far more device types you can use with the Vera. C4 dongle only supports a handful of items.

2 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

I don’t remember being able to manage codes through the z-wave lock. Seems like it was missing a few things. As far as Vera vs. C4 dongle, there are far more device types you can use with the Vera. C4 dongle only supports a handful of items.

Thank you very helpful.  Was the lack of code management with C4 dongle or Vera?  Did you have a bad experience with Vera? What do you run now? Thinking I might try the locks through Vera first and add the C4 zwave dongle if it doesn’t work through Vera....

On 10/5/2020 at 10:30 PM, Drake0508 said:

Mine was through the C4 dongle. No experience with Vera because I had a lot of trouble with it when I used it stand alone. I’m using the August connect now with Yale locks.

Thank you! I’ll give it a shot through Vera first and report back for others that may be looking at this thread in the future. 

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2018 at 8:46 AM, sonic30101 said:

There is a zwave sensor driver directly for the door and windows and you can set up experience buttons to show feedback.

The blinds would be a bit of trial and error. Guessing it is more than an open/close scenario which would be pretty simple. Experience button> zwave relay driver which is configured to a virtual switch that is in vera> when the virtual switch changes state you set up a scene in vera to control the device. I would have to look and see about increments, that will be a bit of a science fair project. 

Option1- find a c4 driver that you can programmatically change the value of a virtual dimmer then in vera when the virtual dimmer changes adjust the binds accordingly

Option2- set up multiple experience buttons for desired percentages that control different virtual switches to change the blinds to the increments you want.

Option1 is definitely ideal but I don't have any blinds here to test that it could work. I am sire option2 is possible

Would you mind sharing the settings you use to setup the virtual device in Vera?  And also the advanced settings fields for the virtual device once it is in the system?  I'm having a very difficult time doing it correctly - the virtual device keeps saying "device is not a switch" in C4 where the C4 device is brought in as a relay.  Would sincerely appreciate your settings so I can try to get it working.  Also wondering if you know whether the "security device" C4 vera driver is a motion or door sensor?  If it isn't a motion sensor then I'm thinking I could link the actual motion in vera to a virtual switch once I get that part figured out and then bring that virtual switch into c4 as a relay so I can program off of state......

• 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.