C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Keynote Announced Control4 Integration !!

1 hour ago, zaphod said:

Maybe they can lever off of third party libraries but I would think that it is hard to compete with the big 3 of Amazon, Google and Apple when trying to come up with high quality voice recognition.

I don't see C4 ever doing local voice control, which would be ideal and a big step up from Alexa.  

I'd settle for a much better integration of Alexa support.  Right now, the native C4 support for VR pales in comparison to what you can do with Alexa Routines and the Epic Alexa driver (a solution which has the benefit of not requiring C4 web services).

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Savant posted their release and I asked them about Siri control of Savant devices. Their response to me was they are investigating both options, as in both Apple TV control and Siri control of Savant devices. Which is exactly what Crestron said. 

Also, my comment about Control4 clarifying was not to suggest we get special information. I think it's perfectly reasonable for them to clarify what is obviously a question many of us have, and is probably not under NDA given open statements from both Savant and Crestron. I don't expect Ryan to unilaterally decide to tell us stuff, but at the same time there's nothing wrong with asking for some clarification. 

Again, to be clear, I'm not trying to pressure Ryan or anyone else. But given the statements from Savant and Crestron, it would be nice if they could see if a clarification could be given on this. If the answer is no, then that's fine, but as I said earlier, I think it's a perfectly reasonable request.

John

2 hours ago, therockhr said:

Did I come off as smug? I would say I am more annoyed than anything because like clockwork as soon as a few people display the slightest bit of excitement over this the usual cast of characters come in to throw a wet blanket. 

So you DON'T see the irony.

3 hours ago, control4user007 said:

She says "Use thier remotes to control your apple tv, even including support for Siri"

Which is not ' Said the siri integration coming to the remotes '

One states that there will be (better/official) control for AppleTV and possible support/API for Siri (to be used as a control).

The other states that (C4) remotes are getting Siri.

Two rather different things IMHO

22 minutes ago, jfh said:

I don't see C4 ever doing local voice control, which would be ideal and a big step up from Alexa.  

I'd settle for a much better integration of Alexa support.  Right now, the native C4 support for VR pales in comparison to what you can do with Alexa Routines and the Epic Alexa driver (a solution which has the benefit of not requiring C4 web services).

Ever? I mean that's sort of a long time.

I see opportunities with Alexa for Business and C4. That offers private skills and extra functionality.

4 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Which is not ' Said the siri integration coming to the remotes '

One states that there will be (better/official) control for AppleTV and possible support/API for Siri (to be used as a control).

The other states that (C4) remotes are getting Siri.

Two rather different things IMHO

Agreed. I took the Apple announcement to mean the integrators remotes could do everything the Siri remote can do, including using it to issue commands to the Apple TV by voice. There was nothing in Apple's announcement that suggested anything other than that. But both Crestron and Savant have indicated that there's more to it, including control of their devices using Siri, akin to what we have with Alexa today. This is why I'd like Control4 to clarify this, because we're hearing different things from all parties.

John

17 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Ever? I mean that's sort of a long time.

C4 can't get an intercom ap working on their own platform using an established product for over a year.  You think they are going to tackle local VR?   So, yeah.  I'll go with "ever". ;)

2 minutes ago, jfh said:

C4 can't get an intercom ap working on their own platform using an established product for over a year.  You think they are going to tackle local VR?   So, yeah.  I'll go with "ever". ;)

I hadn't heard anything about the intercom app not working. Is that something they announced? Maybe I missed that. Is anyone upset about that. Maybe we should say something. 

3 hours ago, therockhr said:

Sorry but Crestron is much more known than Control4 and even it is not widely known.

https://www.control4.com/blog/407/control4-named-leading-home-control-brand-for-3rd-year-in-a-row

2 hours ago, jfh said:

If C4 wants remotes to remain relevant, they need to support voice control and probably touch screen in a future model.

Yet... professionals will tell you how little VC is used and requested even with devices that currently available.  So no... just like Apple.. Control4 is not quick to jump on niche things just because a group of users likes the feature. And they shouldn't be worried about it because they are an automation company designed to work with other 3rd party devices. You wont see Control4 toilets either. 

5 minutes ago, Hardware said:

professionals will tell you how little VC is used and requested

I'm curious about that. Not that I don't believe it, but I am interested in the source or market where this is is a fact. 

Interestingly, I am seeing voice control becoming popular with older people that need reading glasses. One they know they can talk to things they skip grabbing glasses to fiddle with buttons and screens.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

I'm curious about that. Not that I don't believe it, but I am interested in the source or market where this is is a fact. 

Interestingly, I am seeing voice control becoming popular with older people that need reading glasses. One they know they can talk to things they skip grabbing glasses to fiddle with buttons and screens.

Speaking from the generalized non-tech crowd that drives consumer markets. The tech consumer is niche. A decade from now that may be different.. a decade is a lifetime in the electronics world. 10 years ago we were hardly into smart phones.

People also liked buying iPads because users with poor vision can zoom into text...but I don't think Apple banks their sales by any means based on that demographic.

Oh the irony of this thread. Everyone complained about the intercom app since it was pre announced. No one was happy. 

Now everyone wants the details on non available features here... 

10 minutes ago, Hardware said:

Speaking from the generalized non-tech crowd that drives consumer markets. The tech consumer is niche. 

I don't think I understand this statement. Non technical people are a larger segment in voice control.

1 minute ago, Pounce said:

I don't think I understand this statement. Non technical people are a larger segment in voice control.

People buying it... You're not getting numbers on people who aren't interested at all. 

1 minute ago, Hardware said:

People buying it... You're not getting numbers on people who aren't interested at all. 

Not sure I am following you.

(People who aren't interested) is not the same as (people who don't know about it, don't have it and have never tried it)

Do you have numbers on the people?

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Oh the irony of this thread. Everyone complained about the intercom app since it was pre announced. No one was happy. 

Right on queue

Who is complaining on this thread? It’s mostly just people interested in what the partnership or whatever it is might entail or people speculating what could be done. Normal message board talk. 

Would you rather we had another thread on what your favorite audio system is or someone asking whatever happened to the fireplace switch?

Just now, therockhr said:

Who is complaining on this thread? It’s mostly just people interested in what the partnership or whatever it is might entail or people speculating what could be done. Normal message board talk. 

Would you rather we had another thread on what your favorite audio system is or someone asking whatever happened to the fireplace switch?

I'm not saying anyone is complaining. I was just pointing out that when the intercom app was preannounced and is taking longer then liked. 

Likely these features will take longer then expected too 

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Its pretty simple....just explain a little bit on the timeline and unforeseen changes.  A little clarity goes a long way.

25 minutes ago, digitaltrader said:

Its pretty simple....just explain a little bit on the timeline and unforeseen changes.  A little clarity goes a long way.

It IS pretty simple. They released a beta product. When the final product is ready they will tell everyone when it will be released. This is pretty standard with most tech companies. I am not sure why that justifies you(anyone) needing to be part of the R&D committee just because they said they are working on a future feature.  

4 hours ago, johnpg said:

There was nothing in Apple's announcement that suggested anything other than that

There was no more or less suggesting that it would be exactly what you assumed. In fact, I'd love to know how APPLE would make that work on existing remotes, or do people expect Apple to make voice remotes for these other companies?

1 hour ago, Hardware said:

It IS pretty simple. They released a beta product. When the final product is ready they will tell everyone when it will be released. This is pretty standard with most tech companies. I am not sure why that justifies you(anyone) needing to be part of the R&D committee just because they said they are working on a future feature.  

Well if it was truly made out to be just a beta announcement then it wouldn't be a big deal...but the marketing department got a hold of it and ran too far with it.  Reminds me of the old RTI days when the old saying "just another 2 weeks."  That was the beginning of the end for them.  

3 hours ago, Hardware said:

Think you find that End Users are part of the Beta Programs with Most Tech Companies -Like Apple, Sonos, Microsoft - Sometimes closed Beta and then on Pubic Beta 

Archived