C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Keynote Announced Control4 Integration !!

Why is Siri a big deal to most here??  Have you actually used Siri before??  It is awful, never does what you ask, never understands what you say.

Pathetic VC if you ask me.  I see this announcement as Apple knows they are hurting and sucking wind to the other tech companies and are trying to stay afloat.  Apple now is not what Apple used to be.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Think you find that End Users are part of the Beta Programs with Most Tech Companies -Like Apple, Sonos, Microsoft - Sometimes closed Beta and then on Pubic Beta 

Think you'll find that Apple, Sonos, and Microsoft don't *have* a dealer network, so if they want to do a wider beta than employees, they don't have much choice.

RyanE

There was no more or less suggesting that it would be exactly what you assumed. In fact, I'd love to know how APPLE would make that work on existing remotes, or do people expect Apple to make voice remotes for these other companies?

IMHO, integration will be through Homekit, then Siri can control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Pathetic VC if you ask me.  I see this announcement as Apple knows they are hurting and sucking wind to the other tech companies and are trying to stay afloat.  Apple now is not what Apple used to be.

welp

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Think you'll find that Apple, Sonos, and Microsoft don't *have* a dealer network

RyanE

Maybe they are on to something ... ;)

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

Think you'll find that Apple, Sonos, and Microsoft don't *have* a dealer network, so if they want to do a wider beta than employees, they don't have much choice.

RyanE

That's actually not true. I'm a Microsoft Partner and have participated in Beta's that were not public.

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

So the people who create apps and software are not there dealer network - C4 need to open there mind and stop working in a silo's

I'm hoping C4 integration with Siri is direct and not through something convoluted as homekit or another box.  It was nice when SiriProxy worked and I could use my phone through Siri to control my house.  The problem with Alexa or Google Home is that anyone with the keyword or knowledge can cause havoc within your house, especially during a party, kids etc.   To me, having a phone and only controlling it through the phone, is the best solution for me.  I know many like the idea of not having a device attached and to speak openly (like the movies show), but the authentication/privacy of such needs to be dev before it can distinguished between me and someone else.  I'd settle for Siri working with the C4 app or on basic wifi...but I keep hoping...

There is some hope with Alexa. If you use Alexa for Business your devices can be associated with a room. That gives your commands room context. Also, you can voice profile the users so that your housekeeper cannot check your calendar etc. I believe we may see some dealers deploying Alexa for Business for C4 customers.

3 hours ago, Zuhair said:

IMHO, integration will be through Homekit, then Siri can control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps. What's HomeKit again? Oh right, the product everyone keeps saying will 'take off soon..' ... 'now it's going to be a player' ... 'this time...'

That said, if they manage to get Siri up to par, it would be another option over Alexa, and may prompt Google to open up for the same sort of thing.

I ALWAYS like more options.

1 hour ago, Gene said:

I'm hoping C4 integration with Siri is direct and not through something convoluted as homekit or another box.  It was nice when SiriProxy worked and I could use my phone through Siri to control my house.  The problem with Alexa or Google Home is that anyone with the keyword or knowledge can cause havoc within your house, especially during a party, kids etc.   To me, having a phone and only controlling it through the phone, is the best solution for me.  I know many like the idea of not having a device attached and to speak openly (like the movies show), but the authentication/privacy of such needs to be dev before it can distinguished between me and someone else.  I'd settle for Siri working with the C4 app or on basic wifi...but I keep hoping...

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this yet (because the first page or two was dumpster fire crap again) but Apple did actually announce a feature called Siri App Shortcuts which is all the "Siri integration with Control4" could be. The feature allows you to create custom key phrases to trigger the C4 system via the Control4 iOS app we already use. C4 doesn't have to work closely with Apple on this at all.

Seeing this announcement was from the AppleTV team (not the Siri team or anyone else) it sounds like, to me, the AppleTV will get an official API (rather than using the iTunes control hack) and they are working with Crestron, C4, and Savant initially to get this done. Notably missing was Logitech. I'm not sure why they weren't up there... very odd.

What would be another cool feature is if we started seeing media info show up in the C4 navigator from the AppleTV. So you could select Game of Thrones on a T3 and the C4 system would be able to trigger that all the way to the HBO App. Or maybe Apple Music integration using the AppleTV. Not really sure but if you look at the teams as individual businesses this was the AppleTV business -- not Apple as a whole -- making this announcement. 

In any event I will be excited to see what the partnership brings. 

6 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Perhaps. What's HomeKit again? Oh right, the product everyone keeps saying will 'take off soon..' ... 'now it's going to be a player' ... 'this time...'

That said, if they manage to get Siri up to par, it would be another option over Alexa, and may prompt Google to open up for the same sort of thing.

I ALWAYS like more options.

To be fair there are probably more HomeKit installs in a month than C4 has installed controllers in its entire lifetime. So keep that perspective in mind when you judge whether something is successful or not. 

26 minutes ago, Pounce said:

There is some hope with Alexa. If you use Alexa for Business your devices can be associated with a room. That gives your commands room context. Also, you can voice profile the users so that your housekeeper cannot check your calendar etc. I believe we may see some dealers deploying Alexa for Business for C4 customers.

Now that is something interesting in this thread and I need to investigate this.  I must say that if this is true (and I have no doubt it is), I have not idea why Amazon doesn’t make all Alexa’s room (or device) associative.

Yes, more competition means more options.

13 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Now that is something interesting in this thread and I need to investigate this.  I must say that if this is true (and I have no doubt it is), I have not idea why Amazon doesn’t make all Alexa’s room (or device) associative.

Level of complexity. They charge for Alexa for Business and there is a management console... but I agree that would be nice on the consumer products. Perhaps as the products mature there will be better context options.

A use case for a business is Alex in each conference room. Any user can say Alexa start the meeting etc. Then each employee can actually use their own device/account and access their calendar etc. You can also voice profile people to somewhat authorize access on shared devices.

One nice thing about the business product is that none of the audio is available to listen. You can only delete. That's different than a personal account.

https://aws.amazon.com/alexaforbusiness/

32 minutes ago, seth_j said:

To be fair there are probably more HomeKit installs in a month than C4 has installed controllers in its entire lifetime. So keep that perspective in mind when you judge whether something is successful or not. 

.Lol, tue.

But Betamax player sales were millions per year for years on end. Keep that in mind when judging success as well.

I believe the prospects for homekit/homepod are some 4 million this coming year? Those numbers (for Apple) are minimal, less than half of Apple watch prospects and less than half the number of iPads sold in the first quarter of the year.

Understand that I have no wish to see HomeKit fail or disappear, but it seems to depend on whether Apple is willing to slug it out for quite some time (and money) if the HomeKit will end up being a staple product or a paperpress

45 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

.Lol, tue.

But Betamax player sales were millions per year for years on end. Keep that in mind when judging success as well.

I believe the prospects for homekit/homepod are some 4 million this coming year? Those numbers (for Apple) are minimal, less than half of Apple watch prospects and less than half the number of iPads sold in the first quarter of the year.

Understand that I have no wish to see HomeKit fail or disappear, but it seems to depend on whether Apple is willing to slug it out for quite some time (and money) if the HomeKit will end up being a staple product or a paperpress

I believe the dealer model will end up like Blackberry  

Oh Apple have a interest - I wonder why  - THEY HAVE SHED LOAD OF CASH - Buy out Time 

I thought C4 had a Intercom APP  

This is so much fun 

They is a reason I bought Shares is C4 and it was not to lose money - I did not buy in to setting up a dealership  

1 minute ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I believe the dealer model will end up like Blackberry 

Possible. I worked for them at the peak and the beginning of the end. There was an arrogance that they had the better product AND that people will buy the better product. Better is defined in so many ways. They were also a sitting duck. Many things contributed. The biggest issue was they were not agile enough internally and the legacy of the carrier model on a global level had a choke hold.  Markets change.

Internet time runs fast. Sometimes you don't know you are getting pulled into a death match. 

8 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Harsh - But correct also run by a CEO who is a Mormon religion always switch off to other investors.

I don't believe Control4's current CEO is LDS, although I'm not sure what that has to do with anything.

RyanE

Archived