C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the expiration date of the new certificate?  I'd like to put a reminder on my calendar in case something goes wrong and I've forgotten about this mess. ;)

On 7/16/2018 at 3:09 PM, Derrick Cain said:

Great to hear.  Please let me know if you're having issues connecting with Composer HE.

39 minutes ago, jfh said:

What's the expiration date of the new certificate?  I'd like to put a reminder on my calendar in case something goes wrong and I've forgotten about this mess. ;)

the issue was not a certificate expiration.  The issue was changing certificate vendors that necessitates a whole new chain of trust being pushed.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:18 AM, Derrick Cain said:

Apologies for the recent issues with Composer HE.  This recently encountered issue was a clerical error with the cert expiration date, as you can see the date was much shorter than intended.  Our team has been rolling out the fix on the controller side, and will not require different Composer HE software.  This should be finished hitting all systems shortly.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  

Mitch - Derrick indicated the recent recurrence was related to the cert expiration date which is why I asked the question.

24 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

the issue was not a certificate expiration.  The issue was changing certificate vendors that necessitates a whole new chain of trust being pushed.

The initial problem wasn't, but the latest one was.  See previous post.

4 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

No. That was the problem all along 

No, it wasn't.   The first issue was the new vendor certificate wasn't incorporated into the HE builds.  The mid-July problem was that the newly included certificate had an unexpectedly early (July this year) expiration date.

Given that both problems are corrected, the only thing I'm interested in is the expiration date of the latest certificate.

Sorry all. I have just had the "director is unable etc" error.

Do I carry out the updates to my HE as per http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

or do I ask my supplier to update C4 per Derrick's advice " Our team has been rolling out the fix on the controller side, and will not require different Composer HE software.  This should be finished hitting all systems shortly."

As I have to pay for someone else to update C4 I would like to be clear on exactly what steps I can take myself with HE and what I should tell my C4 supplier to do.

Please can Derrick help?

Thanks

PS I am running 2.10.1 and have applied the security patches

2 hours ago, Frances said:

Sorry all. I have just had the "director is unable etc" error.

Do I carry out the updates to my HE as per http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

or do I ask my supplier to update C4 per Derrick's advice " Our team has been rolling out the fix on the controller side, and will not require different Composer HE software.  This should be finished hitting all systems shortly."

As I have to pay for someone else to update C4 I would like to be clear on exactly what steps I can take myself with HE and what I should tell my C4 supplier to do.

Please can Derrick help?

Thanks

PS I am running 2.10.1 and have applied the security patches

If you're on 2.10.1, just download the 2.10.1 version and follow the steps from the PDF.

2 hours ago, zaphod said:

So are we happy that the cert issues have been fixed properly?  Or is this going to be something that occurs every 2-3 months now?

This was a clerical error, and has been reviewed again to ensure the cert does not expire in 30 days and is reviewed prior to any interruption.

Apologies for the inconvenience it did cause, I know Composer HE is the reason some people have Control4.

15 minutes ago, Derrick Cain said:

This was a clerical error, and has been reviewed again to ensure the cert does not expire in 30 days and is reviewed prior to any interruption.

Apologies for the inconvenience it did cause, I know Composer HE is the reason some people have Control4.

Thanks Derrick, good to hear.

• 4 months later...

What in the world is going on?!??! My controller is version 2.9.0.528365-res and my ComposerHE is 2.9.0 and I tried to login  today for the first time since probably last Christmas and I find that I can't. So I google the error message which leads me here. Lo and behold, I find that instead of being able to solve this problem myself, I have to PAY A DEALER to upgrade? Is this a joke?  CONTROL4 BROKE SOFTWARE THAT I PAID THEM FOR AND NOW THEY WANT ME TO PAY TO GET IT FIXED???

1 hour ago, jp97 said:

What in the world is going on?!??! My controller is version 2.9.0.528365-res and my ComposerHE is 2.9.0 and I tried to login  today for the first time since probably last Christmas and I find that I can't. So I google the error message which leads me here. Lo and behold, I find that instead of being able to solve this problem myself, I have to PAY A DEALER to upgrade? Is this a joke?  CONTROL4 BROKE SOFTWARE THAT I PAID THEM FOR AND NOW THEY WANT ME TO PAY TO GET IT FIXED???

Have no fear, I will upgrade you to 2.91 before the new year. Will be free, just ask me.  Merry Christmas and happy new beer.  (No, I'm not the real slim shady, just imitating).

On 12/21/2018 at 12:25 PM, dcovach said:

Have no fear, I will upgrade you to 2.91 before the new year. Will be free, just ask me.  Merry Christmas and happy new beer.  (No, I'm not the real slim shady, just imitating).

I'll take it if you are serious - what do I need to do? 

I still can't believe they broke something I paid them for and expect me to handle getting it fixed now.

6 minutes ago, jp97 said:

I'll take it if you are serious - what do I need to do? 

I still can't believe they broke something I paid them for and expect me to handle getting it fixed now.

It certainly was a pain, for dealers especially, but I can help resolve it for you. PM me with your email address. 

Archived