C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

On 6/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, CFUG said:

Four things to consider or execute properly-

1.  Project must be operating on 2.9.1 or higher

2.  Existing corresponding CHE program should/must(?) be uninstalled

3.  Install only the CHE version listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

4.  Run only the patch listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

This is all self-explanatory stuff.  However, I started with no Composer program installed.  Some here have indicated that this process failed with an existing/pre-cert. version of HE onboard their computer.

*************** S O L V E D ********************

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/20/2018 at 9:14 PM, RyanE said:

I had hoped to hear yesterday / last night, but I'm now on PTO, and have been driving for the last 9 hours.

I think an email went out with this info to those affected, but it appears some of you are not getting the ComposerHE emails:

http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

Note: I think you may not have to do the ComposerHE patch mentioned near the end of this document, as it should have already been applied remotely.  Give it a try without, if it doesn't work, apply the patch.

If you continue to have issues, I suggest you contact Control4 as Derrick Cain suggested up-thread, with the contact method he recommended.

RyanE

This link is not working. Error 404. What is the correct link?  Thanks!

31 minutes ago, philfeldman said:

This link is not working. Error 404. What is the correct link?  Thanks!

Sorry about that, I have our web team looking at it now.  In the meantime, I can link you any of downloads.  PM me you version, and I can help.

Edit:  It's accessible again.

I de-installed my version of 2.9.0 and installed 2.10.2, applied the patch, and I still get the same problem.   I even used IO Installer, which gets rid of associated files that the Windows installer does not.  I did need to put my creds in after the new installation, so it was completely de-installed.  I rebooted my machine after de-installation.  I am running Windows 10, 64-bit.

I see that a couple of other people have that same issue.  Any ideas on it?  There must be something that is lingering somewhere....

I would like to suggest that it would be easier for those of us trying to get it working if the responses from now on deal with how to get it fixed - rather than company bashing posts that are just making it harder to wade through all of the responses to get useful ones.

Thanks,

Larry

I uninstalled composer HE on my PC, reinstalled 2.10.2, applied patch and still wouldn't connect.

Then I tried uninstalling everything (Composer HE, Composer ME and the Conrol4 app) and rebooted PC

Reinstalled just Composer HE and made sure that "automatically launch composer" was not ticked so it didn't run until after i ran the patch and bingo it worked.

Thanks for sorting this.

Tony.

I thought that I had done exactly what you did (even down to  not automatically launching HE & rebooting after uninstall), but I tried again just to be sure.  This time it worked.  I believe that the difference may be in the patch.  The CMD dialog said that the patch was complete - so the other times I closed the window.  This time I let the CMD window close on its own.  It may not have been quite done.

Other than that, I tried the full uninstall/reboot/install several times yesterday - but this time it worked.

Thanks for the advice.

ON EA-5 which was on 2.9.0 and could not get ComposerHE 2.8.2  to connect, it worked last in Apr 2018 when I updated my Media and programmed some keypads.

Tried downloading 2.9.1 and 2.10.2 - no dice, kept getting Unable to Authenticate.

Called in C4 Customer Advocacy line @ 1- 888-223-1073 and was lucky enough to reach Derrick C.

My dealer is no longer in business so Derrick help by upgrading EA-5 to 2.9.1 and patched it up so it can work with Composer HE 2.9.1.

All good now until next fire-drill. Comes with technology.

Thanks Derrick & other C4 members - had a call back from another tech as well.:D

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/6/2018 at 8:25 PM, RyanE said:

Follow these instructions:

http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

Basically, you download a *new version* of ComposerHE, and download and run the patch if necessary.

RyanE

hey all, I followed this exactly yesterday and it worked perfectly. Today I tried to log back in to Composer and I get the same Unable to Authenticate error. I reinstalled Composer and re-ran the patch and still no luck. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

TIA

I am in Alberta, Canada, and have the same issue. Worked fine yeste3rday when I used it for the first ever time. Today I went ot use it andit wouldn't work. Uninnstalled, reinstalled, installed the patch again etc and done all this a number of times with various restarts etc. No luck. Help needed!

4 hours ago, wnpublic said:

Also broken for me, again.  Annoying and possibly indicative of a larger issue with this company.

This is a clear illustration of C4 quality control. If it's not a quality issue, then it how C4 looks to the end users. 

Last month issue, C4 responded only after this thread got longer! And users started complaining on the social media.

42 minutes ago, Zuhair said:

This is a clear illustration of C4 quality control. If it's not a quality issue, then it how C4 looks to the end users. 

Last month issue, C4 responded only after this thread got longer! And users started complaining on the social media.

Without an rca how do you conclude its quality issue? 

10 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Without an rca how do you conclude its quality issue? 

To be more specific, it's a quality assurance issue, if this makes it better. End user shouldn't be concerned with RCA, UAT, QSA... etc

When a software company release a defected application and followed by a  (defected) fix, it's obvious that the RCA would be lack of quality assurance/control and proper testing (UAT/SIT). 

If I have a mutual interest with an organization I will find all the excuses for them and act as defender. If I'm an end user I will see it a quality control issue.

The purpose of this thread is to pass our concerns to C4 and show the real size of Composer HE problem.

2 hours ago, Zuhair said:

To be more specific, it's a quality assurance issue, if this makes it better. End user shouldn't be concerned with RCA, UAT, QSA... etc

When a software company release a defected application and followed by a  (defected) fix, it's obvious that the RCA would be lack of quality assurance/control and proper testing (UAT/SIT). 

If I have a mutual interest with an organization I will find all the excuses for them and act as defender. If I'm an end user I will see it a quality control issue.

The purpose of this thread is to pass our concerns to C4 and show the real size of Composer HE problem.

It is not obvious that an rca would point to quality. If it always pointed to quality there would be not purpose for an rca 

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

It is not obvious that an rca would point to quality. If it always pointed to quality there would be not purpose for an rca 

Maybe I failed to get my point clear.

The point is that the end user wants a working and reliable product, end user does not care about RCA (and he/she shouldn't). Releasing a product with a bug and fixing it with another bug is not a sign of a proper quality control. 

BTW, seriously I wasn't pointing to you in regards to defending.

Apologies for the recent issues with Composer HE.  This recently encountered issue was a clerical error with the cert expiration date, as you can see the date was much shorter than intended.  Our team has been rolling out the fix on the controller side, and will not require different Composer HE software.  This should be finished hitting all systems shortly.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.  I would have answered this thread as well, I initially saw the thread below first.

Archived