C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

5 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

in general I think C4 is really good with EOL.  They just decommissioned controllers that were like 10 years old.  And you can still use them as long as you do not go to 2.10.x.  

What happened with these certificates wasn't great, but its a small blip and likely impacted a very small % of installations.  Does not make it right, just need to take it all in stride.  Mistakes happen.

Being good at EOL means publishing it ahead of time so people know what to expect. Supporting something for a really long time is also good, but not the same thing.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Sorry for been wrong 

Yes I do understand that, but you would hold on to shares if you think profit is to made in long run 

you give me 10000 shares to keep me on board, I would not sell until they doubled/trebled at the minimum before I would sell. 

Your wage is not going to be small side, so why sell ~  hence my reason to sell 

So I agree with a lot of what you are saying (C4 duffed this one up and it would be great if they could find a cheap - free to customer - way to fix it) but I don’t think you have this point right - sadly...

I run a small to medium sized company with a couple of thousand staff.  We are the only company on our stock exchange to have had a real increase in profits every year for the last 20 years (so no one can argue our performance).  Lots of our staff have had share options and much less than 1% have held them for more than a few weeks after they vested.  Sadly employees today see share options and the like as a cash bonus and don’t tend to hold for the long term investment.

Something else to consider is in the manufacturing world, sometimes things happen with EOL parts, etc that are not anticipated and require a product change or some other change that has to happen too quickly for the solution to be fully baked.  At the end of the day there is a reality where somethings are just out of a company's control and they have to do the best they can to minimize the issues and respond to them quickly even if it's not an ideal scenario.  

16 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Being good at EOL means publishing it ahead of time so people know what to expect. Supporting something for a really long time is also good, but not the same thing.

im not a software engineer so maybe my terms are wrong.  Point is they support stuff and when they release a new OS they do say if any hardware is EOL.  So they give notice prior to upgrading.  Since 2013 when I got into C4 its been like that release after release.  This is the first blip of this kind i can recall.  It happens.

1 minute ago, eggzlot said:

im not a software engineer so maybe my terms are wrong.  Point is they support stuff and when they release a new OS they do say if any hardware is EOL.  So they give notice prior to upgrading.  Since 2013 when I got into C4 its been like that release after release.  This is the first blip of this kind i can recall.  It happens.

It's common in a hardware and software world. You publish very explicitly when support ends in advance. How long in advance varies to some degree. If you do not put a product on the EOL timeline the assumption is that the product is going to be EOL farther out than the latest date on the EOL schedule.

In my opinion what would help everyone is to put the products on a schedule. It's always acceptable to extend the schedules. It's not acceptable to shorten the schedules after they are published. That's the point. Its a "contract" for the lifecycle of the products.

For example, I have not found an EOL schedule for an HC800. If C4 published an EOL schedule for this product to end 2019 dealers could plan a timeline to start contacting customers for planned upgrades. That sort of thing gives opportunities for evaluating the systems and upselling etc. As a customer I now know it's probably smart to upgrade to an EA3 sooner than later. If I don't have an EOL schedule I'm left guessing and may all of a sudden face a breaking patch that makes everyone jump into a fire drill of resolution mode. C4 is the kind of product where enterprise class planned obsolescence can help to ensure stability and quality. On the C4 side planning an EOL date makes it possible to strategically plan new innovations that require breaking changes and new hardware without needing a lot of marketing spin and ruffled feathers.

To be clear I am not trying to debate. Just sharing my perspective. I just really think that there is an opportunity to use EOL communications to their advantage.

16 minutes ago, mstafford388 said:

Something else to consider is in the manufacturing world, sometimes things happen with EOL parts, etc that are not anticipated and require a product change or some other change that has to happen too quickly for the solution to be fully baked.  At the end of the day there is a reality where somethings are just out of a company's control and they have to do the best they can to minimize the issues and respond to them quickly even if it's not an ideal scenario.  

Absolutely. Often this kind of thing is solved by giving something to the end user. Sometimes its a trade in for new product. Sometimes its repair/swap. And, yes, sometimes the customer just plain suffers from reduced functionality and has to tough it out. There is an expense in all cases. Just comes out of different budgets.

5 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

look at how many SVP at control4 are selling shares at the moment if I was dealer that would be concerning about that and c4 

I can tell you *exactly* how many SVPs have sold shares in the past 22 days.

Exactly ZERO.  None.

Control4 employees can only buy/sell shares during open trading windows, that typically start 3+ days after public release of Quarterly Reports, and end at the end of the same month.

Executive level employees are more restricted than that.  They can only sell after filing paperwork with an intent to sell some time in advance of when they want to sell.

Control4's next earnings announcement is scheduled for Thursday, August 2, 2018, which means that the next trading window will open at 12:01 AM (EDT) on Tuesday, August 7, 2018.

All this, of course, is to avoid issues with insider trading.  Control4 takes that *very* seriously.

RyanE

2 minutes ago, Drake0508 said:

Still having trouble connecting. I followed the steps in the PDF. Am I missing something? I don’t use Windows very often. 

Four things to consider or execute properly-

1.  Project must be operating on 2.9.1 or higher

2.  Existing corresponding CHE program should/must(?) be uninstalled

3.  Install only the CHE version listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

4.  Run only the patch listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

This is all self-explanatory stuff.  However, I started with no Composer program installed.  Some here have indicated that this process failed with an existing/pre-cert. version of HE onboard their computer.

1 minute ago, CFUG said:

3.  Install only the CHE version listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

4.  Run only the patch listed in http://update.control4.com/patches/C4_Cert_Replacement_Patch/Composer_HE_Download_Instructions.pdf

This is all self-explanatory stuff.  However, I started with no Composer program installed.  Some here have indicated that this process failed with an existing/pre-cert. version of HE onboard their computer.

Thanks! I definitely followed all the steps. I will delet and start over to make sure I didn’t mess something up. 

8 hours ago, RyanE said:

I can tell you *exactly* how many SVPs have sold shares in the past 22 days.

Exactly ZERO.  None.

Control4 employees can only buy/sell shares during open trading windows, that typically start 3+ days after public release of Quarterly Reports, and end at the end of the same month.

Executive level employees are more restricted than that.  They can only sell after filing paperwork with an intent to sell some time in advance of when they want to sell.

Control4's next earnings announcement is scheduled for Thursday, August 2, 2018, which means that the next trading window will open at 12:01 AM (EDT) on Tuesday, August 7, 2018.

All this, of course, is to avoid issues with insider trading.  Control4 takes that *very* seriously.

RyanE

RyanE

Yes they are - 

https://marketexclusive.com/insider-trading-activity-control4-nasdaqctrl-svp-sold-1042-shares-of-stock/2018/04/

https://www.americanbankingnews.com/2018/06/19/control4-corp-ctrl-svp-sells-261053-76-in-stock.html

Susan Cashen and Dryce Judd 

https://www.control4.com/company/management

11 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

So I agree with a lot of what you are saying (C4 duffed this one up and it would be great if they could find a cheap - free to customer - way to fix it) but I don’t think you have this point right - sadly...

I run a small to medium sized company with a couple of thousand staff.  We are the only company on our stock exchange to have had a real increase in profits every year for the last 20 years (so no one can argue our performance).  Lots of our staff have had share options and much less than 1% have held them for more than a few weeks after they vested.  Sadly employees today see share options and the like as a cash bonus and don’t tend to hold for the long term investment.

Total agree, however would your main board be selling there share once they get them ? 

Does not show a great belief in the Product or Vision  

3 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Total agree, however would your main board be selling there share once they get them ? 

Does not show a great belief in the Product or Vision  

Fair point... depends... I’ve had to sell some of my shares from time to time to fund my expensive hobbies (primarily C4 🤣)

10 hours ago, Drake0508 said:

Thanks! I definitely followed all the steps. I will delet and start over to make sure I didn’t mess something up. 

The key is to be sure that you download only the full version for your Director version (2.91, 2.10.0, 2.10.1 etc) from the link in the PDF.  The version on the  Control 4 website downloads page is still the outdated certificate version.  I made the same mistake initially thinking that they would have updated their website with the updated version.  Once I downloaded from the PDF links and installed, all was good. 

11 hours ago, compuaid said:

The key is to be sure that you download only the full version for your Director version (2.91, 2.10.0, 2.10.1 etc) from the link in the PDF.  The version on the  Control 4 website downloads page is still the outdated certificate version.  I made the same mistake initially thinking that they would have updated their website with the updated version.  Once I downloaded from the PDF links and installed, all was good. 

I tried this and still no luck.  Got upgraded from 2.9 to 2.10.2 today, uninstalled everything, used the links in the PDF and still unable to connect.  Anyone have any thoughts?

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

lol this thread is amazing 

so now we’re onto C4 execs jumping ship and insider trading. 

Cant wait for the Netflix documentary on this order. Or at least this thread. 

No kidding. I think it helps to think of some of these threads as proper bar conversations you might be having with the random mix of regulars and first time bar customers. Extra rounds of hyperbole. 

On 6/22/2018 at 8:31 PM, Drake0508 said:

On 6/22/2018 at 8:29 PM, CFUG said:

Thank CFUG ! it works.

Would the ADMIN of this page be kind enough to control what is posted here in relation to the topic

It would be much simpler to find the answer...
I have the same issue. Version 2.10.2.

Archived