C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did all right out of that deal - However we have still not answered the Question. 

So on HE if you are on 2.9.0 or below it will not work - You have to update 2.9.1 or above

If you are a dealer no issues PRO will work with any software. 

Is that correct 

I am an end user, not installer.  I have been affected by this certificate update too.  I never received an email that this was about to happen and what to do if there were problems.

I have been watching this thread patiently on a fix for this problem.  Yesterday I saw some posts with a link to a patch.  I logged into my C4 account and downloaded and installed the patch.  That did not work.  My ComposerHE and HC-800 are at version 2.9.0.  I saw another link on this thread for an updated ComposerHE version for 2.9.1.  I downloaded and installed that.  I was able to log into the controller, but received a message that I was in read-only mode, and my controller needs to be updated to be compatible with 2.9.1.  My installer wants $300 to "fix" my controller by bringing it up to the latest release.  That is unacceptable.  C4 needs to step up to the plate and fix the problem they created in the first place.  I have sent a message to Customer Service but have not heard back from them yet.  Am I the only person left that cannot connect to their controller?

As always, I appreciate this forum and the wealth of information that is available here.

8 minutes ago, GSC4Home said:

I am an end user, not installer.  I have been affected by this certificate update too.  I never received an email that this was about to happen and what to do if there were problems.

I have been watching this thread patiently on a fix for this problem.  Yesterday I saw some posts with a link to a patch.  I logged into my C4 account and downloaded and installed the patch.  That did not work.  My ComposerHE and HC-800 are at version 2.9.0.  I saw another link on this thread for an updated ComposerHE version for 2.9.1.  I downloaded and installed that.  I was able to log into the controller, but received a message that I was in read-only mode, and my controller needs to be updated to be compatible with 2.9.1.  My installer wants $300 to "fix" my controller by bringing it up to the latest release.  That is unacceptable.  C4 needs to step up to the plate and fix the problem they created in the first place.  I have sent a message to Customer Service but have not heard back from them yet.  Am I the only person left that cannot connect to their controller?

As always, I appreciate this forum and the wealth of information that is available here.

I charge about the same for my clients to fix the patch that not work. Sorry, C4 is dealer model. 

10 minutes ago, GSC4Home said:

Reading the paperwork anyone 2.9 downwards have to update to get the fix 

Looks like you the end users just got Control4ed 

as per by pervious post Control4 do not care about the end user 

it should be free update in my eyes 

Agreed it should be free.  I've heard of getting Legoed, but I think Control4ed is worse.  I can't change my programming now.  Guess the neighbors will have to deal with floodlights shining into their bedroom all night.  And why should I have to pay to fix a problem I did not cause?

14 minutes ago, GSC4Home said:

If you've reached out to customer service, we typically respond fairly quickly if it's during business hours.  You can PM your case # and I'll find out who's working with you.

If you filled out the web form, and did not receive an email back within minutes providing a case number, please fill it out again, and ensure all contact information is correct.

4 minutes ago, Derrick Cain said:

If you've reached out to customer service, we typically respond fairly quickly if it's during business hours.  You can PM your case # and I'll find out who's working with you.

If you filled out the web form, and did not receive an email back within minutes providing a case number, please fill it out again, and ensure all contact information is correct.

Derrick, 

are you giving these guys free updates ?

if yes that would be great.

46 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Reading the paperwork anyone 2.9 downwards have to update to get the fix 

Looks like you the end users just got Control4ed 

as per by pervious post Control4 do not care about the end user 

it should be free update in my eyes 

the update is free.  The installation is not.  I know, i know, I am splitting hairs.  But that is true.  you own a life time license to updates with your controller.

33 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Derrick, 

are you giving these guys free updates ?

if yes that would be great.

I just don't understand why you think you should have to fight everyone elses problems.  Let control4 deal with it.  You are fine.

Why should they be any charge ?

its a control4 mistake so the fix should free including labour.

Why should Control4 get away for not paying the dealer to sort out there mistake. 

I get involved because people need to be transparent in their working with the public 

look at how many SVP at control4 are selling shares at the moment if I was dealer that would be concerning about that and c4

should be talking to dealers  about how to sort this issue out and how C4 would reimburse the dealer to keep the end user happy.

remember it’s the end user that pays all your wages 

5 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

look at how many SVP at control4 are selling shares at the moment if I was dealer that would be concerning about that and c4

look how many officers of public companies sell stock everyday....

A fair few,  but not from a company that as being buying back shares for the last few years. 

Lets get back to End Users and the fact C4 are not paying for the update on a issue they caused and hiding behind dealers. 

Just imagine if they had a major issue with a controller etc 

would you like the fact you would be responsible ?

18 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

A fair few,  but not from a company that as being buying back shares for the last few years. 

Lets get back to End Users and the fact C4 are not paying for the update on a issue they caused and hiding behind dealers. 

So when apple releases a new iOS that is not compatible with older phones and I lose features or ability to get new apps Apple should give me a free iPhone to replace it?  For the most part C4 is fairly good at servicing older hardware/platforms.  For the small % that want to use a piece of software, you now need 2.9.1 or greater.  Welcome to the ever changing world of technology.  I've had numerous 3rd party devices/drivers stop support, close APIs (*cough houselogix, cough sonos*) and life goes on.  I either accept the new norm or I pay to get what I want.

I'd be upset if I were on lower than 2.9 and had to pay a dealer to fix it, but I was also upset with Sonos closed the driver with functions I used.  I had Play 1s and 3s in my house.  Did Sonos come over and install hardwired speakers for me so I can hook it up to a C4 native streaming setup?  No, they did not.  When Houselogix decided to stop updating the Holovision driver, the new intercom agent messed up my doorstation, made it a very expensive brick.  I had options, keep the brick and use an old school bell and add a separate camera, or find a way to fix what I got.  I spoke to the manufacture, they gave me 1-2 options, and I had to PAY for that option to upgrade the guts.  Did Houselogix or Holovision give it to me for free?  No, they did not.

Things change and break and get fixed, it is part of this hobby.

Same old argument - however end users paid for this software. 

Dealers software works, contril4 forgot about the end users, so just botched the fixed and forced a group of people to update at a cost.

I understand when product goes out of date and have no issue with that. 

Its pretty simple for me - The end user got stuffed 

26 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Control4 has had major issues with controllers before (DOM issue). They took care of the dealers. Your concern is appreciated, but Control4's record on that issue is clear.

Oh, C4's stock price is great. I imagine that's why "so many SVPs" are selling. Cashing out. I would too. 8 or 9 straight quarters of beating the street consensus for both profit and revenue, I think it is. Their CEO has mentioned they are spending PROFITS on buying back stock, because it gives them strategic options in the future.

I sold my stock holding, but it’s not great when it went public it was 22 dollars a share -I sold around 26 dollars { bought at a lot less} 

i bought on the hope of a bid from the major players, I think C4 was hoping for that too. 

It could happen, but if that does, will they go with the dealer model ?

8 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I sold my stock holding, but it’s not great when it went public it was 22 dollars a share -I sold around 26 dollars { bought at a lot less} 

i bought on the hope of a bid from the major players, I think C4 was hoping for that too. 

It could happen, but if that does, will they go with the dealer model ?

C4's IPO was at $16.

and you have to remember SVPs had options and vested shares...the rules of those as well as the strike prices and grants are totally different.  Thankfully the stock I have been awarded in a public company is worth a nice amount right now :)

Archived