C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

15 minutes ago, RyanE said:

This is factually incorrect.  Control4 did not push the patch to 'invalidate your ability to self govern', whatever that means.

Control4's pushing the certificate patch automatically did not cause ComposerHE to stop working.

It kept ComposerPro working.  ComposerHE stopped working because the root certificate expired, the same reason ComposerPro would have stopped working without the patch.

Had Control4 pushed or not pushed the certificate patch, ComposerHE would have stopped working exactly at the same time.

RyanE

That's splitting hairs, technically.

Either they pushed server software which had the effect of invalidating ComposerHE, or they failed to push or allow download of client software (new Composer 10.2.3) in time for the certificate expiration still falls under lack of governance, testing, and remains unacceptable to not have a 1-day solution for us.

Now I'm unsure what you mean "whatever that means" because your quote of my post is neither whole nor accurate, yet I believe I have just explained there's practically no difference; their apathy toward owners is clearly showing now.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

Click ‘Edit’ in the upper left hand corner of this page. 

You can then check or uncheck the boxes allowing you to self govern yourself all night long. 

Thanks... they made that pretty unclear given greyed out check boxes have a UI characteristic that does not typically mean there's another place to allow them to change.

I am sorry for the past week, and I understand there are people that use Composer HE more than others and every customer is important.  As Ryan said this was not intentional and our teams are working diligently to have a fix out shortly.

Please reach out to my team and allow us to help if we can (older build, information, etc.).  https://www.control4.com/company/contact-us  Make sure you select "I'm a current customer in need of support" and that will go to our team.  Even if you're not on a build that was previously mentioned, we'll see how we can assist.  Make sure the submit button turns red, if it's grayed out, it means there's some info missing.

I've spoken to a few of you over the phone as well, you can request a callback, I can assure you it does not go into the trash.

-Derrick

There are 2 parts to the update:

1) Control4 is in the process of rolling out a patch to connected controllers that will update the ComposerHE certificate on the controller.  If you system is connected to the Internet, it should receive this patch automatically, and you should not need to manually apply a patch.

2) There will be new versions of ComposerHE released for 2.9.1 and 2.10.x.  In order to use ComposerHE, you will need to be at least on OS 2.9.1.  If your system is on 2.7 and above, it can likely be fairly easily updated remotely by either your dealer, or one of the many dealers on this forum who are willing to help out.

Until the push of part one has happened, the new version of ComposerHE will not be posted.

I plan on posting in this thread when the update is available.

RyanE

Just received this email:

As a reminder, Control4 secures remote access to homes using the same technology as online payments, banking and other secure online services: SSL encryption based on a trusted certificate authority. We have moved to a new certificate authority provider, requiring new security certificates in our products and tools.

We are currently experiencing an issue with the security certificate in Composer Home Edition (Composer HE), which is preventing you from accessing and programing your Control4 system using your installed Composer HE. We are working on an updated version of Composer HE, which will resolve the issue and restore your ability to access and program your Control4 system. As soon as we have resolved the issue, we will email you with instructions on the next steps to restore your Composer HE access.

In the meantime, if you have an active 4Sight license and your Control4 system has been updated to OS 2.10 or later, you can use When >> Then for your programming needs.
More information on When >> Then can be found here >

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. If you have any questions, please contact your Control4 Dealer.

Thank You!

-The Control4 Team

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

There are 2 parts to the update:

1) Control4 is in the process of rolling out a patch to connected controllers that will update the ComposerHE certificate on the controller.  If you system is connected to the Internet, it should receive this patch automatically, and you should not need to manually apply a patch.

2) There will be new versions of ComposerHE released for 2.9.1 and 2.10.x.  In order to use ComposerHE, you will need to be at least on OS 2.9.1.  If your system is on 2.7 and above, it can likely be fairly easily updated remotely by either your dealer, or one of the many dealers on this forum who are willing to help out.

Until the push of part one has happened, the new version of ComposerHE will not be posted.

I plan on posting in this thread when the update is available.

RyanE

Ryan thank you as always.  Will the controller patch be applied if I have unchecked on customer.control4.com "I allow my system to be updated automatically with critical software updates from Control4."?

I could of course check that if necessary but I would like to know.  Thank you.  When will we know whether or not our controller has received the update?

I think today we all got the email from Control4 (as Don Gator just posted).

To be clear, this is June 18th and the problem occurred on June 11th, a full week ago.

The email apology also lacks clear guidance as when->then is a very, very limited form of programming and this doesn't help those of us who add music constantly and want to scan (if we didn't build a 'scan now' button already for Director.)

Also, they continue to push us to our dealers; however our dealers are not the ones rolling out the new 10.2.[3?] for us.  

Off-topic but the dealer model is woefully outdated; it's 2018 and if you cannot handle B2C, you're as behind the times as the Composer software is.

1 minute ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Off-topic but the dealer model is woefully outdated; it's 2018 and if you cannot handle B2C, you're as behind the times as the Composer software is.

Do we have to keep rehashing this topic?  Its a free market - go pick Crestron, Savant, URC or Elan and do your own programming.  I am sure they have a more updated business model.

Whoops they are also dealer models without anything like Composer HE.....must be a really outdated model.

13 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

Nope, patch won't be applied if you have that unchecked.

hi thegreatheed.  is this an authoritative answer from control4?  i am only asking because it is not clear from your profile that you are a control4 employee.  just checking.

12 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

This is why these forums are awful. Your complaints are entirely rooted in this opinion. It's an opinion, it's NOT everyone's opinion, and many people think the dealer model is NOT outdated in 2018, and that's why they buy into Control4.

Thanks for your opinion. 

6 minutes ago, pfissure said:

except that i had that box unchecked all along and i still got the original security patch that started this whole adventure.

No, your existing security certificate expired. That's what started the whole adventure. It expired whether or not you have the box checked, because they expire (for good security-related reasons).

Edit: Also, if your box wasn't checked, you would not have gotten the fix, and even if Composer HE worked now for everyone else, it wouldn't work for you as your controller would not have been updated.

2 minutes ago, pfissure said:

except that i had that box unchecked all along and i still got the original security patch that started this whole adventure.

Which adventure? The "patch" for the updated certificate (regardless of how you got it) did not break HE. Not getting a patch broke HE because the outdated certificate expired. This according to up thread posts from C4.

8 minutes ago, prabeau said:

Lucky you 

I am still being ignored even after sending a request directly to C4 as of Friday

You sent a request Friday, and on Monday, you haven't received a response yet! OMG!

I don't think the customer service advocates work on the weekends. So...

3 minutes ago, thegreatheed said:

You sent a request Friday, and on Monday, you haven't received a response yet! OMG!

I don't think the customer service advocates work on the weekends. So...

All I'm getting at if you bothered reading all previous pages is that C4 has not reached out to notify users. So............. keep the OMG's

43 minutes ago, mkaiseraz said:

I don't see this option on my iPad. Are you sure?

These would be limited to lighting scenes, but yes you can do this through the iPad. I checked on mine and it does appears it'll work in landscape or portrait mode, but you have to click on "scenes" for the little pencil to show up. That's in the top right of the attached screenshot. 1708215444_Image-1(1).thumb.jpg.ea5da5dabe617b3368c6f2b2cb60f917.jpg

3 minutes ago, prabeau said:

All I'm getting at if you bothered reading all previous pages is that C4 has not reached out to notify users. So............. keep the OMG's

This is really crazy !

Screen Shot 2018-06-18 at 9.59.27 PM.png

Archived