C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

15 minutes ago, Adidaswood said:

I respect you a great deal, all the help etc...but, this is horse shit.  It shouldn't even matter.  

While it might be true (i have no way to prove one way or the other).  It absolutely speaks volumes about what they think of their End Users.  Even if we are not their "Target Customer", Control4 needs to understand that without us (the end users, residential, commercial or otherwise, and even you WAP), NO Dealer would be selling their product to anyone.   Its comically shortsighted.  Happy End users is always the Goal, and if you don't know who that really is, you need to take a hard look at your business.

I don't usually have much negative to say about Control4, but these kinds of issues and how they react are one of my main gripes.

maybe I've misinterpreted the sentiment here. 

I don't disagree with anything you said. I agree c4 hasn't handled this well 

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/15/2018 at 8:37 AM, RyanE said:

If you expect *any* company to not have occasional oversights, you're going to be continually disappointed.

I've just now gotten an update.  An update is *expected* to be released sometime today, barring any issues.

Here are some tentative notes:

• Will require updating ComposerHE.
  • ComposerHE builds will only be available for relatively 'up-to-date' systems (OS versions 2.9.1 and 2.10.x).
  • Will require a certificate patch on the controller as well.

If you are on a release prior to 2.9.1, you will need to update to 2.9.1.

IMHO, this *is* more than a few day's work (figuring out the fix, applying it to multiple ComposerPro builds, and creating a custom certificate patch), and the Composer team has hustled to get these custom builds and patches out in a timely fashion.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.

RyanE

ComposerHE is still not working (I just uninstalled 2.10.1 and reinstalled 2.10.2).  Could we get an updated ETA?  Would appreciate proactive communication on this issue since its very frustrating for many of us. 

I just got my system installed two weeks ago and was planning on spending this weekend programming it.  I have very limited control of my system right now, since I opted to try and program it myself rather than relying on a dealer.  I purchased ComposerHE expecting it to not break right away.  This is a very bad first impression of Control4.

Thanks.

On 6/15/2018 at 11:25 PM, RyanE said:

The fix for ComposerHE will only be built for version 2.9.1 and greater.

It's not my job to specify whether something is "end-of-lifed".

I'm just telling what will be available.

RyanE

Wow so Control4 as a Company rolled out a new certificate, which is totally fine with me, but that new certificate was bugged and now Control4 customers can't use the seperately purchased Composer HW software - this alone isn't much of an issue for probably the most people being affecting by it, because simply put "shit happens".

However instead of just sending an email to every customer who has a HE license in his account and explain what happened and that Control4 is sorry and working on a fix, now each and everyone who has the "cannot authenticate message" has to either visit this forum or call a dealer just to find out what has happened - this is the 1st major error with customer relations here.

Additionally it seems now that Control4 will roll out a patch only for OS Versions 2.9.1 and above - or in other words: People that still have older OS versions running and have a stable system with which they are still happy do now have to pay a dealer to needlessly upgrade their system to get a bug fixed that applied by Control4 - and some of them may even need to get a new controler to run 2.10.x properly!?

This is the 2nd major error in customer relations and turns the "shit happens" bug into a major "Fuck Up".
Because now Contro4 is trying to shirk itsself out of responsibility and now want's their customers to pay a dealer to fix a bug that was 100% Control4 fault - now let that sink in for a moment.....

That Control4 was never eager to communicate with the end user is nothing new, there is no public bugtracker, it's very dealer centric etc..., but this here brings it to whole new level and pretty much shows that Control4 as a company doesn't give a s**** about the customer base anymore - justas a side note: this has been the beginning of the end for many companies.

Control4 should keep in mind that if they treat customers like that and will continue to do so it will not go unnoticed - i.e. they will stop recommending Control4 and some may even just rip it out and buy Elan, Savant or Crestron...
Control4 should remember that there are customers buying their products and without customers there is no company - so keeping customers happy should be priority number ONE bei it commercal or private.

For me personally such a behavior is a red flag and in my opinion Control4 should fix all system to which they have applied the faulty certificate regardless of OS version or make sure those customers affected with older version do not have to pay extra to get the bug fixed

@RyanE

Even though this is like you said "out of your pay roll" and not your decision it might be worth a try to pass the sentiment of your customers up the ladder

If things stay this way anyone affected with older systems it might be wort sending an email to Control4 to express your point of view - maybe that will help

EDIT: typos and grammar

EDIT2: 17-06-18 - edited paragraph in italics to make clear I am not suggesting any acion here

50 minutes ago, blub said:

Wow so Control4 as a Company rolled out a new certificate, which is totally fine with me, but that new certificate was bugged and now Control4 customers can't use the seperately purchased Compoer HW software - this alone isn't much of an issue for probably the most people being affecting by it, because simply put "shit happens".

However instead of just sending an email to every customer who has a HE license in his account and explain what happened and that Control4 is sorry and working on a fix, now each and everyone who has the "cannot authenticate message" has to either visit this forum or call a dealer just to find out what has happened - this is the 1st major error with customer relations here.

Additionally it seems now that Control4 will roll out a patch only for OS Versions 2.9.1 and above - or in other words: People that still have older OS versions running and have a stable system with which they are still happy do now have to pay a dealer to needelssly upgrade their system to get a bug fixed that applied by Control4 - and some of them may even need to get a new controler to run 2.10.x properly!?

This is the 2nd major error in customer relations and turns the "shit happens" bug into a major "Fuck Up".
Because now Contro4 is trying to shirk itsself out of responsibility and now want's their customers to pay a dealer to fix a bug that was 100% Control4 fault - now let that sink in for a moment.....

That Control4 was never eager to communicate with the end user is nothing new, there is no public bugtracker, it's very dealer centric etc..., but this here brings it to whole new level and pretty much shows that Control4 as a company doesn't give a s**** about the customer base anymore - justas a side note: this has been the beginning of the end for many companies.

Control4 should keep in mind that customers who have the money to buy Control4 are usually not on the poor side of live and if it makes its rounds that such things are going on they will stop recommending Control4 and some may even just rip it out and buy Elan, Savant or Crestron...
Control4 should remember that there are customers buying their products and without customers there is no company - so keeping customers happy should be priority number ONE bei it commercal or private.

For me personally such a behavior is a red flag and in my opinion Control4 should fix all system to which the have applied the faulty certificate or make sure those customers affected with older version do not have to pay extra to get the bug fixed

@RyanE

Even though this is like you said "out of your pay roll" and not your decision it might be worth a try to pass the sentiment of your customers up the ladder

If things stay this way anyone affected with older systems it might be wort sending an email to Control4 to express your point of view - maybe that will helpl

Trust me that C4 is not concerned at all about this problem for one reason, the majority of C4 owners are not on this forum. This is like a closed isolated room for frustrated C4 owners to scream. I'm sure if we all started to post our concerns regarding composer HE on C4 social media accounts they might wake up.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/control4fans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/control4

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/control4/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Control4Automation

Intstegram: https://www.instagram.com/control4_smart_home/?hl=en

@RyanE

4 minutes ago, Zuhair said:

Trust me that C4 is not concerned at all about this problem for one reason, the majority of C4 owners are not on this forum. This is like a closed isolated room for frustrated C4 owners to scream. I'm sure if we all started to post our concerns regarding composer HE on C4 social media accounts they might wake up.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/control4fans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/control4

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/control4/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Control4Automation

Intstegram: https://www.instagram.com/control4_smart_home/?hl=en

@RyanE

This is true but most people here are not frustrated ;-). But even though many are not on this forum here they will recognize that something was working and now isn't and then have to pay to get it fixed - that they will recognize.

I do not wantr to start a rant here, just to make a good point that this is not the correct behaviour and that it is the wrong way to present as a company

Control4 treat us with contempt ~ because we are not there customers ~ they only care about the dealers 

the last few days shows us this. 

We are just cash cows who they think will pay big magins on cheap products they sell 

time for a change 

I don't know how much CHE costs because I never paid for it.  All this disdain over C4/Composer seems harsh to me.  What about product EOL?  Do the same folks come here and bitch about all the money down the drain (Wappinghigh excluded)?  I know I've tossed more than my share of hardware in the bin over the years...

It means we stop updating our systems for 12 mths and buying bits and bats 

go on Twitter and tell people how we have been shafted ~ Control4 will get the message very fast 

there customers (dealers) will start to complain very fast ~ negative PR only hurts Control4 

1 hour ago, blub said:

Control4 should keep in mind that customers who have the money to buy Control4 are usually not on the poor side of live and if it makes its rounds that such things are going on they will stop recommending Control4 and some may even just rip it out and buy Elan, Savant or Crestron...

Look I’m not happy.  I have 2-3 issues I wanted to work on this weekend.  That said if I ripped out my system for your choices above I’d never have the ability to get composer HE type software.   Double edge sword of sorts.  

4 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

It means we stop updating our systems for 12 mths and buying bits and bats 

go on Twitter and tell people how we have been shafted ~ Control4 will get the message very fast 

there customers (dealers) will start to complain very fast ~ negative PR only hurts Control4 

as I said, not wanto to start a rant here. Let's wait unil the patch is out.

46 minutes ago, prabeau said:

Just gave a piece of my mind at

https://www.control4.com/company/contact-us

Probably goes to the trash😠

Try these channels and make your concerns public. This will make dealers unhappy, and they will push for a solution.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/control4fans

Twitter: https://twitter.com/control4

Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/company/control4/

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Control4Automation

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/control4_smart_home/?hl=en

2 hours ago, blub said:

usually means for us end-users we need to get another system....

I'm serious, where the hell would go?  There is no "need" to jump ship over this.  After this is over with, I'm sure some of us will remember those who literally trashed C4.  Help is a two-way street around here.

2 hours ago, CFUG said:

After this is over with, I'm sure some of us will remember those who literally trashed C4.  Help is a two-way street around here.

Did I understand this correctly that if someone disparages C4 you would not help them later? You want people to know that in hopes that you will reduce people complaining about an outage of some of the product?

3 hours ago, CFUG said:

I'm serious, where the hell would go?  There is no "need" to jump ship over this.  After this is over with, I'm sure some of us will remember those who literally trashed C4.  Help is a two-way street around here.

Do you see two-way help in this case? Was there any sort of respect from C4 toward its end-users? We all know that product outage can happen to any product, again, what we are missing here is respect and proper communication from C4. Do you think if C4 made a proper announcement to its end-users day this thread will be there?

Thank God that I have remote and on-site dealers that understand my situation.

After this is over with, I'm sure some of us will remember those dealers and gurus literally trashed system owners.  Help is a two-way street around here.

@pounce

@CFUG

Just now, cannemi said:

I am having same issue and I am on 2.10.2.550334-res

All opinions aside,  @RyanE Post said they should have something on Thursday/Friday, pending no issues.  Has there been any update since?

We all have the same issue, not an official word or announcement from Control4.

You guys need to put down your torches and pitchforks. Seriously. Your systems aren’t broken nor are they not functioning. 

RyanE going out of his way to inform you guys - and probably getting shit on from his bosses for it, since we all know that C4 loves their NDA’s. 

1 minute ago, knowitall said:

You guys need to put down your torches and pitchforks. Seriously. Your systems aren’t broken nor are they not functioning. 

RyanE going out of his way to inform you guys - and probably getting shit on from his bosses for it, since we all know that C4 loves their NDA’s. 

I'm leaving for holiday and I need to activate few routines for security purpose to do specific actions based on motion.

I have few programmed audios related to local events and need to be disabled because the event is over last Thu, they are still playing few times a day!

I wrote few programs to randomly open/close shades while we are away.

I need to activate a program to run the exhausts in my studio at a specific temp. 

... etc

I'm not able to modify any of the above via the WEB GUI "when>>Then" because it was created with ComposerHE, will Control4 pay the cost if I ask the dealer to do it?

If something is not important/urgent to you, please don't assume its the same for others.

Finally, what does it mean that @RyanE is out of his way to inform us? And why he's getting shit from his bosses? The answer is we, as end-users means nothing to Control4. Instead of worrying about NDA's, they should worry about their end-users, the source of income.

I've seen electricians that have no Lutron certifications or training call Lutron for support because a lighting module blew. System was 6 years old.

Lutron says no problem, sends out a free replacement module  directly to the clients home and his electrician replaced the module for a small amount of labour under Lutrons guidance.

No programming was necessary, the electrician just had to change the dip switch to the correct address.

All I'm gonna say is Good luck with Control4 in that type of situation.

My guy just fixed my 2.53 installation and it works, albeit with some authentication warnings, but I was able to log into my system and update codes on my door locks for future guests. You should all lean on your installers or whoever to get it going for you. 

On 6/15/2018 at 3:43 PM, george57 said:

Just curious? What is the cost of the upgrade to 2.10.2 from 2.5.3.  The reason I haven't upgraded yet is because I have 2 touch pads that will not work after 2.5.3.  I guess I will lose those when I do the upgrade.  Will my dealer have to come to my house to do the upgrade or will he be able to do it remotely?  If he does it remotely it should be just the cost of the liscense?  ANY IMPUTWILL BE APPRECIATED! Thanks

Archived