C4 Forums | Control4

Director is unable to authenticate Composer HE

1 minute ago, Zuhair said:

Does this mean that ComposerHE is not a priority because it only affect end-users? Does it also means if it's Composer Pro, C4 will act immediately because it's a revenue generating product?

Oh come on. Lets not argue for arguments sake.

In those words you quoted I actually suggested it could be the highest priority item for them right now.

Also, yes, priority is obviously relative. That's just how life and business works. There is a relationship between priority and severity, but given a list of equally severe issues they can still be prioritized.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, RyanE said:

You update to 2.9.1.  2.9.1 is the terminal release for 2.9, and has many bugfixes over 2.9.0, and has been the recommended 2.9 release for quite some time.

It's possible you also could use the 2.9.1 ComposerHE with your 2.9.0 system.  It *may* work, but it's always recommended to use the exact version of ComposerPro for the OS release on the controller.

RyanE

Ryan,

You can't say that running different versions "may" work when Control4 has always said that HE and OS versions must match or you risk the possibility of corrupting your project.  That is the reason why Control4 releases new OS, Pro and HE versions simultaneously, right?

Notwithstanding the bug fixes, my project was running fine on 2.9.0. 

If I am being forced to update to 2.9.1. in order to use HE, who is paying for the related costs of this forced system update?

If they knew they couldn't or wouldn't address all versions, they shouldn't have done anything to negatively affect versions earlier than 2.9.1. until they had the resources to do so in a way that is not at the detriment of endusers.

3 hours ago, pfissure said:

ok thank you.  my question is whether, in this typical situation you describe , the patch can be applied remotely?  i am not at home and won't be for a while but really want to be able to patch my controller

I've been told it *can* be patched remotely, although I don't have specifics as to whether that has to be done by a dealer, or if you as a homeowner could apply the patch remotely.

RyanE

1 hour ago, RyanE said:

I've been told it *can* be patched remotely, although I don't have specifics as to whether that has to be done by a dealer, or if you as a homeowner could apply the patch remotely.

RyanE

thank you.  either way would be fine for me.

6 minutes ago, Wattsup said:

So to be clear my system is running 2.8.2 without issue but I can’t use HE anymore unless I pay to update to 2.9?

That is correct.  At least 2.9.1, to be specific.

RyanE

Of course. Just asking. Obviously, I think people who are below 2.9.1 legitimately would be rightfully upset if they are blocked from using HE. If their version was unsupported that would be another story. If there is some technical limit on supporting lower versions I think it would be reasonable to compensate the customers that are impacted. That number might be low and I am sure C4 knows the number based on metrics available from authentications. Lack of any previous wording about limiting HE support to newer version prior to a defect blocking authentication would be viewed as a reduction in paid functionality.

To be clear,  I am not impacted. I would have been, but I am not. 

Just now, Pounce said:

If there is some technical limit on supporting lower versions I think it would be reasonable to compensate the customers that are impacted. 

That is above my pay grade.

RyanE

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

RyanE

Back to the subject discussed earlier on this thread, if the patch  requires a dealer, are we going to pay the cost of C4 glitch?

1 hour ago, Zuhair said:

Back to the subject discussed earlier on this thread, if the patch  requires a dealer, are we going to pay the cost of C4 glitch?

I don't believe the patch will require a dealer to install.

RyanE

I realize there has not been an announcement regarding a fix release, but I thought I'd check.

so, I just logged on to the C4 download page and a new version of the ComposerHE is available for download...

ComposerHE-2.10.2.550334-res.exe

This file is 118 MB vs the previous release - ComposerHE-2.10.0.542492-res.exe - which was 69 MB.

I thought I'd give it a shot... I've installed it and it still won't let me connect to my Director...

"Director is unable to authenticate ComposerHE"
   "Could not connect to Director at... <IP address>"

I hope there's a fix released soon for this error

... Just wondering if the new version requires a dealer installed matching update to the controller?

3 hours ago, RyanE said:

... I've installed it and it still won't let me connect to my Director...

"Director is unable to authenticate ComposerHE"
   "Could not connect to Director at... <IP address>"

I hope there's a fix released soon for this error

... Just wondering if the new version requires a dealer installed matching update to the controller?

Edited 15 minutes ago by terje_a 
afterthought of possibility of requirement for controller version update

One word, PATCH

Ryan E

so who is going to pay for this update? I have paid for HE and without warning or official notification from Control 4 i’m now being told via a forum that it is EOL.

i don’t have a local dealer and use the excellent remote dealers on this forum; the reason I haven’t updated is because it’s not recommended to do so remotely in case of a a glitch. 

i believe the issue lies with expired client certificates so why can’t these just be updated and a Patch released to preserve functionality?

There are lots of devices that are receiving updates over the internet all the time so surely it’s about time that C4 supported this model too. But then there’s no profit in that for a dealer.... and that is an old topic! 

1 hour ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

I can not believe Control4 have not sent out any type of official statement on this issue. 

Goes to show what they think of Us. 

Shows how small a population actively use he

6 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Shows how important is the end-user. If as you said that the population is small and doesn't require an urgent fix, this small population deserve a respect, few words from C4!

Composer HE is critical for my setup as I've used it to create a full integration with IFTTT/Google Home (since C4 has not seen fit to create a native integration with Google Home).  I've done extensive modifications to scenes, etc. and I change them often.  As President of an international software development firm, I find the lack of communication with clients regarding this issue to be inexcusable.  I understand that unforeseen issues occur.  We have them ourselves.  When we do, we communicate regularly with our clients both our awareness of the issue and an on-going progress report towards resolution along with an ETA.  I can't believe that C4 has been totally silent towards paying customers.  I would also agree that when this issue is resolved, C4 should offer some form of compensation for the downtime (extend everyone's subscription one month perhaps).  I do hope this gets resolved soon though as C4 systems are supposed to be the cream of the crop and something like this in an era of increased competition could result in a significant defection to less expensive technologies.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Says a lot more about Control4.

Dont really care about the end user attitude which is always the beginning of the end for any business taking that route.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I respect you a great deal, all the help etc...but, this is horse shit.  It shouldn't even matter.  

While it might be true (i have no way to prove one way or the other).  It absolutely speaks volumes about what they think of their End Users.  Even if we are not their "Target Customer", Control4 needs to understand that without us (the end users, residential, commercial or otherwise, and even you WAP), NO Dealer would be selling their product to anyone.   Its comically shortsighted.  Happy End users is always the Goal, and if you don't know who that really is, you need to take a hard look at your business.

I don't usually have much negative to say about Control4, but these kinds of issues and how they react are one of my main gripes.

maybe I've misinterpreted the sentiment here. 

Archived