C4 Forums | Control4

Video over IP Matrix Switch (23x10)

I know someone will say search the topic, but not too many "big" matrix switch discussions.

I have 10 inputs and 23 TV's for my house under construction.  April is the move in month (probably May, construction is crazy here right now).

My installer is suggesting Atlona which can be built to size through video over ip and does 4K.

Any other options in the same price range?

5 hours ago, panamagixxer said:

I know someone will say search the topic, but not too many "big" matrix switch discussions.

I have 10 inputs and 23 TV's for my house under construction.  April is the move in month (probably May, construction is crazy here right now).

My installer is suggesting Atlona which can be built to size through video over ip and does 4K.

Any other options in the same price range?

Just Add Power is the tried and true product, other than Crestron HD over IP.

I just couldn't trust a project of that size to Atlona. Been burned way too many times by them. Even when we are successful at getting warranty replacement, it takes multiple hours, multiple truck rolls, and tech support agents who are amazing at making you feel like an idiot.

Remember, not all 4K is the same. There's 4K30, 4K60, 4K30HDR, 4K60HDR, compatibility with 10.2Gbps, and compatibility with 18Gbps. Just because it's "4K" doesn't mean it supports all the latest formats. For example, Wyrestorm and Binary both have HDIP solutions, but are only compatible with formats that would natively use 10.2Gbps or less. Which means essentially no HDR. Almost every 4K Source on the market now supports video formats past 10.2Gbps, including Dish Network, DirecTV, 4K Blu-ray, Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape, XBOX 1X and PS4 Pro. So if you went with an HDIP solution, you will not be able to use the majority of 4K sources on the market right now. 

4K30 looks way too jittery for me. Drives me nuts. I would rather lose HDR than go from 60FPS to 30FPS. 

Out of your 23 TV's, do you need them all to be fully independent? If you had several that were independent or mirrored, it would allow you to go to a boxed solution like AVProEdge and get full 4K60HDR and 18Gbps compatibility at each location. That would be a big plus to me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Atlona OmniStream.

I've also been told to check out SnapAV's Binary MoIP, but it is limited to 4k HDR @ 30hz.  It will do non-HDR 4k @ 60hz.

I'd love to implement AV over IP instead of an ungodly expensive matrix, but I am still trying to work out the pros and cons.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:29 PM, jesseasmith said:

Just Add Power is the tried and true product, other than Crestron HD over IP.

I just couldn't trust a project of that size to Atlona. Been burned way too many times by them. Even when we are successful at getting warranty replacement, it takes multiple hours, multiple truck rolls, and tech support agents who are amazing at making you feel like an idiot.

Remember, not all 4K is the same. There's 4K30, 4K60, 4K30HDR, 4K60HDR, compatibility with 10.2Gbps, and compatibility with 18Gbps. Just because it's "4K" doesn't mean it supports all the latest formats. For example, Wyrestorm and Binary both have HDIP solutions, but are only compatible with formats that would natively use 10.2Gbps or less. Which means essentially no HDR. Almost every 4K Source on the market now supports video formats past 10.2Gbps, including Dish Network, DirecTV, 4K Blu-ray, Roku Ultra, Apple TV 4K, Kaleidescape, XBOX 1X and PS4 Pro. So if you went with an HDIP solution, you will not be able to use the majority of 4K sources on the market right now. 

4K30 looks way too jittery for me. Drives me nuts. I would rather lose HDR than go from 60FPS to 30FPS. 

Out of your 23 TV's, do you need them all to be fully independent? If you had several that were independent or mirrored, it would allow you to go to a boxed solution like AVProEdge and get full 4K60HDR and 18Gbps compatibility at each location. That would be a big plus to me. 

So, Just Add Power has which 4K?  4K60HDR?

On 11/25/2018 at 1:35 PM, panamagixxer said:

So, Just Add Power has which 4K?  4K60HDR?

As thecodeman stated the actual formats that J+P Supports.

This rule basically follows whatever video formats would utilize 10.2Gbps or less in a straight HDMI world. 

Also, while J+P is compatible with some formats, like 4K60, it will downconvert to 30 frames per second and doesn't look very good. This becomes a problem with most 4K sources on the market, which typically utilize 60 frames/sec for their 4K content. 4K30 does not look good on most modern 4K and HDR systems. Even though you can set Roku/Apple TV to 30 frames, the motion is very jittery and is not smooth at all. 

On 12/2/2018 at 1:08 PM, jesseasmith said:

Even though you can set Roku/Apple TV to 30 frames, the motion is very jittery and is not smooth at all. 

This has not been my experience.  I use AppleTVs and DirecTV boxes connected to a Leaf matrix, with LG and Sony TVs and an Epson projector connected as displays.  I have everything set to 4K HDR@24FPS.  The picture quality has been very satisfactory for me.

I am not trying to suggest you're wrong - just offering my experience.  Perhaps it's more of an individual judgement or it's equipment dependent?  I don't think it's an absolute truth that "the motion is very jittery and is not smooth at all."

Archived