C4 Forums | Control4

Can a POE injector wreak havoc with the network?

pinkoos

Hi, apologies for posting this in a separate thread, but thought it might be helpful not just for me but for others either now or in the future dealing with the same or similar problem

This is in reference to this thread:  

This is my question/questions:

Could a POE injector be causing these problems (and not in fact the switch)?

I have a POE injector for an IP Cam plugged into a separate switch downstream from the main switch

Today, the network went down 3 times in the span of 1.5 hours, each time a reboot of the main switch brought it back up

I was racking my brains to try and figure out if there is anything I added to the system that could be the cause of this

And, though I mentioned above that the POE injector and IP Cam were installed (by me) after the first time the network went down (so, not seemingly related), that's the only thing I could think of removing from the equation and testing to see what happens

Though it's early, the POE injector has been unplugged from the downstream switch since this afternoon and, so far, the network hasn't gone down

I went back through my texts with my wife and figured out the first time the network went down was around Sept. 11 and I didn't even buy the IP Cam and POE injector until Sept. 13 and, even then, I didn't get around to installing it for probably 3 or 4 days after that

Anyway, my dealer is planning on stopping by and possibly switching out the switch, sometime this week

I also mentioned to my dealer the possibility of the POE injector and IP Cam causing these problems and he thought it was very unlikely

This is the POE injector:  https://www.microcenter.com/product/467188/poe-48-24w-g-poe-adapter

This is the camera:  https://www.microcenter.com/product/603152/unifi-uvc-g3-flex-network-camera

I don't have a link to the downstream switch, but it's a small, basic 6 or 7 port unmanaged switch

Thanks

The camera install and POE injector are 2 different things.  Could the camera be causing problems, maybe...but the POE injector - never heard of that before.

And you said the problem started before you even installed this hardware, so why are you even thinking this is the cause?

13 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

The camera install and POE injector are 2 different things.  Could the camera be causing problems, maybe...but the POE injector - never heard of that before.

And you said the problem started before you even installed this hardware, so why are you even thinking this is the cause?

Not necessarily the sole cause, but possibly a contributing factor, thanks

1 hour ago, chopedogg88 said:

Can you describe in more detail what happens when the network "goes down"? Are you losing internet only? Is your switch going dark? Are you losing wifi connectivity? Wired connectivity?

Have you changed out your ISP modem?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yes, all internet connectivity

Switch is not going dark - it's all still lit up and blinking like normally

Wifi and wired is gone

Modem hasn't been changed, I own it - it's a Motorola Arris Surfboard and it checks out when Comcast runs their automated check

28 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Yes, all internet connectivity

Switch is not going dark - it's all still lit up and blinking like normally

Wifi and wired is gone

Modem hasn't been changed, I own it - it's a Motorola Arris Surfboard and it checks out when Comcast runs their automated check

Is it only internet connectivity?  Can you ping other devices on your LAN?  Can you ping your router?  

Sorry - but you're not really giving us much information to work with here.  I think you need someone locally that can work with you to do some basic troubleshooting.

Based on everything you said, and the fact you didn't have the POE/Camera prior to the first outage, it could be a switch going bad. Did you change that yet?

When you have the outage, have you tried to ping your router and other devices on the network? Good sign its a switch problem when you can't.

2 minutes ago, ekohn00 said:

Based on everything you said, and the fact you didn't have the POE/Camera prior to the first outage, it could be a switch going bad. Did you change that yet?

When you have the outage, have you tried to ping your router and other devices on the network? Good sign its a switch problem when you can't.

Once I figure out how to ping things, I can report back! 🙂

1 hour ago, pinkoos said:

Once I figure out how to ping things, I can report back! 🙂

if you know your IP address of your router, probably 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 go to a DOS prompt in windows or terminal on Mac and type "ping" followed by the address. If it responds, awesome. 

There's also a few free tools you could always download.  Google network scanner.

It’s pretty obvious based on that ping what the problem is.  You’re getting packet loss to the router.  Either your switch is failing or the router itself.

If you did the ping from a WiFi connection, could be your wireless too.

Get someone in there who knows what they’re doing.

27 minutes ago, pinkoos said:

Went down at 5:40 this morning so definitely not the camera or POE injector

So I’ll continue this in the original thread but here is a screenshot of pinging attempt of the router

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 5.48.11 AM.png

you can download IP Scanner from the Mac app Store.  There's a free version.  If you're not seeing other devices when you have a problem, good chance the  switch is bad.  

If your Mac is a wireless connection, there is a chance the wireless is having a problem.

1 hour ago, pinkoos said:

Went down at 5:40 this morning so definitely not the camera or POE injector

So I’ll continue this in the original thread but here is a screenshot of pinging attempt of the router

Screen Shot 2019-10-01 at 5.48.11 AM.png

Can you hard-wire a laptop into a port on your switch and perform the same test?  If you don't have packet loss when hard-wired (to your router), the problem is likely your WIFI.  If you do have packet loss, you have other issues (with the switch it's self, with broadcast storms, with loops, etc).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.