C4 Forums | Control4

Cord cutting question with C4

eggzlot

On 12/10/2019 at 9:35 AM, therockhr said:

If you have Charter Spectrum already for internet, their streaming service is the best deal going.

We have Charter Spectrum internet but are using Hulu for streaming.  Would be curious to hear move about your experience and what you are currently paying?

On 12/10/2019 at 9:31 AM, eggzlot said:

Well Altice TV + Fios Internet is very expensive.

Altice Internet is substandard.  

Fios really limits your ability to use your own hardware, you can easily get Double NAT or there are workarounds but then you start to lose On Demand services or ability to use the Fios Apps, etc

Not sure the last time you looked at using your own hardware with FIOS, but you may want to try it again if you are still interested. I do this today with a Ubiquiti USG. On Demand, FIOS Apps, DVR, everything still works. I had to setup some port forwarding rules, but other than that there wasn’t any major work that needed to be done. 

3 hours ago, Topfox said:

Not sure the last time you looked at using your own hardware with FIOS, but you may want to try it again if you are still interested. I do this today with a Ubiquiti USG. On Demand, FIOS Apps, DVR, everything still works. I had to setup some port forwarding rules, but other than that there wasn’t any major work that needed to be done. 

i dropped fios maybe 8-9 months ago.  I followed the suggestions on DSLR report website to set up port forwards and the like.  I know someone who has done this on other fios set ups and tried to help but had issues too.  I wonder if its the type of Fios box I had, maybe a local setting, etc

Either way, wife has been working from home for 2 weeks and so far no issues with her VOIP phones and data transfers using the substandard Altice internet.  she likes Altice/Optimum as she knows all the channel #s already.  so she knows ball is in her court.  If it were me, I'd go back to no cable TV subscription and just have Hulu or Youtube with live TV for live sports/broadcast TV and that would be it.

On 2/23/2020 at 5:57 PM, indecision said:

We have Charter Spectrum internet but are using Hulu for streaming.  Would be curious to hear move about your experience and what you are currently paying?

sorry for responding late. they have a couple of different streaming only packages. one is all local channels and you pick maybe 10 other channels for like 29 bucks a month or something like that.

The Spectrum app has worked well for me on Roku and i have seen it on AppleTV and it works really well on there as well.

Here are the codes for direct launching YouTubes

Videos:  (use the video id at the end, same as in a web browser)

QLAUNCH android-app://com.google.android.youtube.tv/http/www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp668EGfKPE

Playlists:  (use the list id at the end, same as in a web browser)

QLAUNCH android-app://com.google.android.youtube.tv/http/www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Osr9JxQRMelaTR9RFVc4cnDcNS97Hn4

We also support a shorted version in the next IRUSB app version (in beta).  The shorted version skips the package name and lets Android resolve it for us.

QLAUNCH http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp668EGfKPE

QLAUNCH http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9Osr9JxQRMelaTR9RFVc4cnDcNS97Hn4

I’m very interested in finally cutting the cord after ...well, a lifetime?

I’m a very happy TiVo cable card guy. I have bolts and 3 Roku Ultras at main viewing areas (so far TiVo has the most limited apps of any steamer). 2 of these rooms share a high end BluRay player via a matrix.

Loft and bedrooms have TiVo Mini’s, so I use the TiVo Apps in those rooms.

My question is related to the new TiVo Stream 4K. With their partnership with Sling, I assume I can finally cord cut? By finally... I mean that I require mini apps and I require Dolby Vision (at least any version of HDR) and all higher end audio formats (Atmos is a must) on all of the common apps Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, Hulu, Vudu, Apple+, etc.

What are the chances I can end up with DV and Atmos wherever conceivably available and mini apps. I know know one has a crystal ball and TiVo is being cryptic about next month’s stream launch. But I assume if anyone has sling working and the original TiVo Stream working, maybe there’s historical info available?

I admit it’s a tall order. I’m asking for everything. DV, Atmos, locals, mini apps... and worse, at the end of the day... the way my ISP works (Comcast Xfinity), the cost of gigabit speed internet isn’t much cheaper than a full package of cable and phone with premiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.