C4 Forums | Control4

newbie confused about RCA outs

Rjxox

Hi,
We are in process of building a new house and we are considering using a Control 4 system with EA3 and a Triad 8 zone amp. I'm a little confused with the amp. It has 8 stereo, phoenix connectors for the output. They look like RCA jacks. How do these connect up to my speakers which have regular speaker wire posts? I have spent all morning searching the web and some sites show splicing a regular RCA jack to speaker wire however they are using a something like an 18 or 24 gauge wire where as I prefer 12 gauge. it just doesn't seem right to hook up to such a flimsy connector. I have an Axiom audio system with M80's for fronts and the other zones have ceiling mounted Yamaha speakers. Thank you.

1 hour ago, Rjxox said:

Hi,
We are in process of building a new house and we are considering using a Control 4 system with EA3 and a Triad 8 zone amp. I'm a little confused with the amp. It has 8 stereo, phoenix connectors for the output. They look like RCA jacks. How do these connect up to my speakers which have regular speaker wire posts? I have spent all morning searching the web and some sites show splicing a regular RCA jack to speaker wire however they are using a something like an 18 or 24 gauge wire where as I prefer 12 gauge. it just doesn't seem right to hook up to such a flimsy connector. I have an Axiom audio system with M80's for fronts and the other zones have ceiling mounted Yamaha speakers. Thank you.

Is it a Triad Audio Matrix Switch or an Amplifier? Those are different components and if you have 8 stereo RCA outputs, that's the Audio Matrix, not the amp.

Phoenix connectors DON'T look like RCA jacks. They literally designed to straight up accept speaker wire.

Phoenix connector = image.jpeg.41449c3eb5cfbb3e0cfb467097e3b30d.jpeg

RCA jack = image.jpeg.10c5e9754a5948454c6d8b761e6c46b3.jpeg

That clears it up, thank you.   I was just noticing the rca inputs.  Can you fit 12 gauge in the Phoenix connector?  Its the AMP I was referring to.
image.thumb.png.f57398b9c7e7d0780dee12c977e1a742.png

It will be snug but you should be able to.

They use these connectors to get more devices per rack. 8 amps in a single rack unit.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Good luck with the 12 gauge.  I recall it being extremely difficult to fit that size.  Had to install a separate speaker binding post panel and made jumpers from the amp to the panel.

I've used angled 2mm banana plugs to deal with this (opposite direction for each input).

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Conwork-4-Pair-Banana-Speaker-Connector/dp/B06ZZL14DD?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Done solder and shave the ends as well.

I don't like the "less than stellar" connection the gate on the phoenix terminal makes with a metal pin.  Sure, it works, but not really a lot of real estate there to grab on to for when they come loose.  AND they will come loose at some point, just a matter of when. 

That's why we did a separate speaker panel. 

It's basically the same when Pro Audio manufacturers tell you not to "tin" your wires when using terminals.  Not a lot of surface connection.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.