C4 Forums | Control4

AMP108 issues

Thanks for the response. I’ve had this setup for a while and I don’t recall the zones ever being all red.

I do have triggers enabled via the HC800 and use audio sensing as one of the ways to make a zone go on for certain devices. But I can’t get these zones to turn on through sensing or through the app. I have two 8 zone amps (connected to the 16 zone switch). The issue appears to be just with this amp as the other one is functioning fine and none of the zones are red.

I tried programming one the zones on this amp to kick on via sensing when others do on the other amp. Getting sound out of the one amp but no this one. The app says the zone is on but there is no sound and the zone is still lit up red on the face.

4 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Red actually means there is a problem wirh the zone. If they are all red, you most likely are experiencing the well known amp-108 power supply issue and the amp will need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Oh no! With this issue is the amp is truly dead or is there a power supply replacement fix?

Appreciate the quick responses and helpful (albeit disappointing) info. Hearing that the issue is well known is concerning. These things are too expensive for there to be known issues that brick them after just a few years.

I’m just a couple of zones short so will likely look at non-C4 options rather than dropping more cash on another unit that may die before it should. I’ve got a couple of old receivers lying around that could prob get me by...

27 minutes ago, chopedogg88 said:

Red actually means there is a problem wirh the zone. If they are all red, you most likely are experiencing the well known amp-108 power supply issue and the amp will need to be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

my bad, sorry should have read properly. 

My advice is to take it to an electronics expert as this can be a very cheap easy fix.

It’s not always a power supply and it can be a 12v regulator chip failure on the main board due to  over heating and can easily be replaced by an expert. 

• 2 weeks later...

On the C4-amp108 all red lights can mean a power supply problem.  This problem is easily solved by replacing the 220uF 35V capacitors located on the power supply pcb right behind the voltage regulators for + and - 12V.  I also move the voltage regulators to the bottom of the chassis to keep them cool.  If the red lights then do not turn to blue then the amp modules may be the problem.  I am hoping someone will tell me what to do about that. 

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

If you're certain it only goes red when one specific zone is turned on, than that likely means a short in that zone (blown speaker could cause that too)

Everything from amp disconnected including speakers. It happens if input is put onto the zone. 

• 6 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 11:58 PM, Robert Bliek said:

On the C4-amp108 all red lights can mean a power supply problem.  This problem is easily solved by replacing the 220uF 35V capacitors located on the power supply pcb right behind the voltage regulators for + and - 12V.  I also move the voltage regulators to the bottom of the chassis to keep them cool.  If the red lights then do not turn to blue then the amp modules may be the problem.  I am hoping someone will tell me what to do about that. 

This is 100% correct - I just replaced the 6 220uF caps in my AMP108 and its working perfectly (for now). On testing the ones I removed only two of them were significantly off value. Relatively simple to do armed with a solder sucker and an iron.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.