C4 Forums | Control4

Forthcoming Berto IoT Production Release

After several months of beta testing my new IoT driver suite I’m ready push a production release scheduled for the 5th June.

There are some significant changes to the way the main IoT Gateway driver works and as such I’m advising existing users of these drivers to turn Auto Update Off on all Berto drivers so that you can control when, or if, you update to the latest release.

Details of the update will be available at https://berto.io/c4z/Berto_IOTGateway/www/README.html but to provide a quick flavour...

• Support for devices running Tasmota firmware, native support for Shelly and Sonoff DIY devices, Lifx bulbs, Flic buttons, Homekit and Google Assistant integration.
  • Support for Buttons and Contacts connected to the Sonoff RF Bridge.
  • Devices controlled directly with HTTP or using MqTT broker (preferred method).
  • Automatic device discovery using mDNS, MqTT or manual IP address for auto detection.
  • Easy install of Berto Hub on Pi 3/4 or fully configured Pi 4 in case with POE for €150 which includes 1 year Premium subscription, please PM.
  • Just 3 IoT slave drivers providing support for dimmers & RGBW, switch lights, relays and numerous sensors (contact, input, power, voltage, battery, temperature, humidity, flood, vibration, tilt and lux).
  • Custom MqTT message sending and receiving eventually replacing the need for original Berto_MQTTBridge driver.

Other integration drivers include :-

• WebView to provide the native device web interface on T3 touchscreens, useful for managing RGBW lights realtime.
  • WebServer allowing bi-directional integration with your system controller. Read ALL your system devices and control them using simple HTTP commands. Send GET and POST requests and also establish WebSocket connections.
  • Pushover & IFTTT providing bi-directional messaging with https://pushover.net and https://ifttt.com.

Over 100 or so devices have been tested across various manufacturers and protocols, if you have a device that you would like support adding to the gateway then please PM and I’ll see what can be done.

Thank you

David

1 hour ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

After several months of beta testing my new IoT driver suite I’m ready push a production release scheduled for the 5th June.

There are some significant changes to the way the main IoT Gateway driver works and as such I’m advising existing users of these drivers to turn Auto Update Off on all Berto drivers so that you can control when, or if, you update to the latest release.

Details of the update will be available at http://berto.io/src/Berto_IOTGateway but to provide a quick flavour...

• Support for devices running Tasmota firmware, native support for Shelly and Sonoff DIY devices, Lifx bulbs, Flic buttons, Homekit and Google Assistant integration.
  • Support for Buttons and Contacts connected to the Sonoff RF Bridge.
  • Devices controlled directly with HTTP or using MqTT broker (preferred method).
  • Automatic device discovery using mDNS, MqTT or manual IP address for auto detection.
  • Easy install of Berto Hub on Pi 3/4 or fully configured Pi 4 in case with POE for €150 which includes 1 year Premium subscription, please PM.
  • Just 3 IoT slave drivers providing support for dimmers & RGBW, switch lights, relays and numerous sensors (contact, input, power, voltage, battery, temperature, humidity, flood, vibration, tilt and lux).
  • Custom MqTT message sending and receiving eventually replacing the need for original Berto_MQTTBridge driver.

Other integration drivers include :-

• WebView to provide the native device web interface on T3 touchscreens, useful for managing RGBW lights realtime.
  • WebServer allowing bi-directional integration with your system controller. Read ALL your system devices and control them using simple HTTP commands. Send GET and POST requests and also establish WebSocket connections.
  • Pushover & IFTTT providing bi-directional messaging with https://pushover.net and https://ifttt.com.

Over 100 or so devices have been tested across various manufacturers and protocols, if you have a device that you would like support adding to the gateway then please PM and I’ll see what can be done.

Thank you

David

Thanks a lot, this is a very comprehensive list and the capabilities are just amazing, thanks again for this powerful driver suite, you raised the bar and had evolved the IOT driver to such level :) 

You had contributed a lot in fully automating my house, something I could never achieve without your driver and service.

When I decided to install smart light switches, dimmers, and relays for my home, Control4 switches cost was a barrier. My house is 3.5 stories with 11,000 square feet, not counting the landscape. Control4 switches cost was as follows:

• 65 Switches X $200 = $13,000 (goal is 100 switch $20,000) Lutron was around that price.

So I decided to go with Berto's MQTT driver and to use Sonoff TX wall switches. The number of switches dropped from 65 to 50 because Sonoff had three gangs' switches.

Cost as follows:

• 50 Switches X $18 = $900 (goal is 100 switch $1,800) I even bought ten backup switches that I didn't use.
  • Raspberry Pi Hub = $80

Now, after 18 months, it's working with 50 Sonoff wall switches 1/2/3 gangs, a total of 100+ gang. Work is going on to install another 50. I also have 15 Shelly's relays & dimmers, and 8 Sonoff light strips. I haven't had any issue with the drivers since Jan 2019. Lights response is immediate.

In the beginning, I was reluctant, but MQTT has proven to be a reliable protocol which is being used in more sophisticated industrial fields. Thanks to Berto's drivers, the protocol is bi-directional with Control4. 

The driver is also compatible with Advanced Lighting agent, accessible via programming to add timers for exhausts and program the lights with motion and timer.

The beauty about MQTT is that switches and dimmers will continue to function even if the controller or LAN is down. And by using Sonoff Mini or Shelly relays, you can even convert any mechanical dummy switch to a smart switch which will continue to work even if everything is down (except electricity!).

My next project is to add:

I also believe that David is working on Zigbee to MQTT driver, which will allow adding more devices.

Other drivers that are on my list to test:

• Flic buttons driver
  • IFTTT
  • OwnTracks location service

Thanks to David for his help, support, and patient! Without his support, I wouldn't be able to reach the current automation level.

3 hours ago, Zuhair said:

When I decided to install smart light switches, dimmers, and relays for my home, Control4 switches cost was a barrier. My house is 3.5 stories with 11,000 square feet, not counting the landscape. Control4 switches cost was as follows:

• 65 Switches X $200 = $13,000 (goal is 100 switch $20,000) Lutron was around that price.

So I decided to go with Berto's MQTT driver and to use Sonoff TX wall switches. The number of switches dropped from 65 to 50 because Sonoff had three gangs' switches.

Cost as follows:

• 50 Switches X $18 = $900 (goal is 100 switch $1,800) I even bought ten backup switches that I didn't use.
  • Raspberry Pi Hub = $80

Now, after 18 months, it's working with 50 Sonoff wall switches 1/2/3 gangs, a total of 100+ gang. Work is going on to install another 50. I also have 15 Shelly's relays & dimmers, and 8 Sonoff light strips. I haven't had any issue with the drivers since Jan 2019. Lights response is immediate.

In the beginning, I was reluctant, but MQTT has proven to be a reliable protocol which is being used in more sophisticated industrial fields. Thanks to Berto's drivers, the protocol is bi-directional with Control4. 

The driver is also compatible with Advanced Lighting agent, accessible via programming to add timers for exhausts and program the lights with motion and timer.

The beauty about MQTT is that switches and dimmers will continue to function even if the controller or LAN is down. And by using Sonoff Mini or Shelly relays, you can even convert any mechanical dummy switch to a smart switch which will continue to work even if everything is down (except electricity!).

I also believe that David is working on Zigbee to MQTT driver, which will allow adding more devices.

• Flic buttons driver
  • IFTTT

Thanks to David for his help, support, and patient! Without his support, I wouldn't be able to reach the current automation level.

Wow, you've been busy since we last spoke!

I am working o Zigbee initially with the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge as Tasmota will hopefully have native support for it soon. I'm also looking at adding support to my Pi setup, all WIP.

Cheers

David

12 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Does this give Siri integration? Says HomeKit but not sure if this means Siri could control my lights?
Jeff

Jeff,

The Homekit is bi-directional, the same as Google Assistant, and works fine with Siri. If you are using outside of your home, ie. off your local network, then you will still need a certified Apple piece of hardware to act as the gateway. I use all the time to open gates etc. as it'f far quicker than opening the C4 app.

Thanks

David

1 hour ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Wow, you've been busy since we last spoke!

I am working o Zigbee initially with the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge as Tasmota will hopefully have native support for it soon. I'm also looking at adding support to my Pi setup, all WIP.

Cheers

David

I'm waiting for Berto's Sonoff Zigbee Bridge driver to add more motion sensors.

1 hour ago, WholeHomeControl said:

I am particularly interested in the Siri/HomeKit integration. How can I get more information about what’s required to get this setup (ie parts and process?)

Does this integration rely on HomeBridge?

Yes, the Siri integration uses https://www.npmjs.com/package/hap-nodejs. If you install the IOT Gateway driver all the install files are in /mnt/internal/c4z/Berto_IOTGateway/hub. If you have a Pi 3/4 or Ubuntu 18.04 system all you need to do is setup a user that has sudo rights without a password and then you can take the Install IOT Hub option from the Actions tab. Alternatively you can do by hand if you grab the files off the controller, it's pretty straightforward.

Once installed you can then setup Exposed Devices in the gateway and set a Homekit pin code, Publish Configuration from Integration Menu on Actions tab and your ready to go. If you have a Berto Assist Token registered, again on the Integration Menu then you'll also expose the devices to your Google Assistant. Homekit with Siri is fast and the voice recognition is better in my opinion than GA but it's personal preference. I'm also working on adding native Alex support as well. 

2 hours ago, WholeHomeControl said:

Thanks, could you compare this architecture for Siri integration to the Varietas driver that uses HomeBridge?  Are there any advantages/disadvantages in comparison?

I'm not familiar with the Varietas driver but believe it uses HTTP requests as the link between the Pi and the Control4 system. 

I'm using MQTT.

Thanks

On 6/1/2020 at 1:28 PM, Zuhair said:

Cost as follows:

• Raspberry Pi Hub = $80

• Flic buttons driver
  • IFTTT

@Zuhair if you use the shelly relay or sonoff mini is there two way feedback when the light is turned on using the mechanical switch? E.g. if someone turns the light on via the mechanical switch and we use the app/control4, will control4 know the current state of light? Or will it just be able to do a toggle?

1 hour ago, maskas said:

So this essentially acts like a two way switch but control4 always knows the current state the switch is in? 

Yes, this is correct.

When ever the state changes on the device, regardless of how, it publishes its new state via MQTT which is picked up by all subscribers to the device including Control4.

27 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Yes, this is correct.

When ever the state changes on the device, regardless of how, it publishes its new state via MQTT which is picked up by all subscribers to the device including Control4.

Ok thanks!

1 hour ago, juan15pablo said:

Hi!

Does it work with cheap electrical floor heat thermostat? (like TUYA, BEOK HOTOWELL, etc? 

What is the model of the device?

At the moment I've got no support for thermostats but I have a virtual heating system being developed which effectively joins temperature sensors to relays/actuators and Control4 becomes the heating system.

The IoT suite is used to manage radiator values or UHF actuators and temperature sensors, Berto Heating then joins everything together to create the zones, with the thermostats on touchscreens and schedules etc. Due for release next week once IoT is out Friday.

Thanks

David

Actually what can be neat is the control of WiFi based Roller Curtin controllers, I just got a couple from AliExpress, $65 a piece, flashed with Tasmota already and waiting to build the template and control via C4 as well.  Another replacement instead of paying $250 for other Zigbee based brands!

AVATTO Smart Motorized Chain Roller Blinds,Tuya WiFi Remote Voice Control Shade Shutter Drive Motor Work With Alexa/Google home
https://a.aliexpress.com/_dVwGdIj

@david@berto.co.uk Do any of your drivers support dimming for lights?

Also, have you taken a look at the new zwave2mqtt project from OpenZWave?  Might be an interesting way to interface with Z-Wave devices from Control4 (through your MQTT drivers).

(I also need to investigate ways of interfacing Control4 with other Z-Wave devices like the GE Z-Wave outdoor switch.  It supports energy reporting and it would be great to have Control4 + Your drivers to schedule device on/off and also monitor energy usage, etc)

1 minute ago, sofakng said:

@david@berto.co.uk Do any of your drivers support dimming for lights?

Also, have you taken a look at the new zwave2mqtt project from OpenZWave?  Might be an interesting way to interface with Z-Wave devices from Control4 (through your MQTT drivers).

Yes, the IOT Dimmer driver support dimming and RGBW. The WebView driver provides a native interface on the T3 touchscreens.

I’m working on zigbee2mqtt at the moment along with the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge, zwave2mqtt is in the pipe line.

Thanks

David

2 hours ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

I’m working on zigbee2mqtt at the moment along with the Sonoff Zigbee Bridge, zwave2mqtt is in the pipe line.

This will be great, there are so many devices that can be integrated as well beside RF, Ikea, Xiaomi, Osram, GE, Hue and other brands that have many quality products ...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.