C4 Forums | Control4

Controller?? HELP PLEASE

Hello all. I've been researching for months and I become more confused when trying to decide on controller...Homeseer, MyServer( yes they are DIY) or control4 etc.

I really have to make a decision in the next few days. I really didn't entertain C4 because I was told it's very "locked down" to what devices/protocol you can use and your tied to expensive dealer fees.  

BTW, what protocol does C4 use for lighting etc.?

Here's my situation. I'm going to have the following. We don't have a very big house and right now I'm in the middle of pre-wiring.

1. 4 interior audio zones( LR, kitchen, basement, upstairs)

2. 2 outdoor audio zones.

3. 4 exterior cameras and 2 interior cameras plus security system

4. Would like interior lighting control for about 5 rooms and exterior lighting control.

5. HVAC system control.

My main objective is to be able to set scenes for multiple things to happen and activate those scenes from phone of wall tablet.

How much would I be looking at to invest to get the equipment/ software/programming to this up and running? Heard that remote dealers can work on system and are cheaper. Also hear there is a C4 Home Composer software which lets the user do some work.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciate. This has been a long mind numbing process..lol

My main objective is

There is very little the home owner can't do once the dealer sets up your system. I'd stick with control4. Anyone on here will tell you the same, composer home is very comprehensive.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

19 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

Ok and I agree. Just trying to determine ballpark of what it'll cost to get my system up and running. Just for the C4 equipment, software and programming I don't want to spend more than $2k. 

If you are including all the hardware and programming costs it likely won’t happen for 2k.  Maybe get the basics down then add over time. 

i mean you need 6 sets of speakers.  They can be 50/pair or 500/pair.  And the cost of the wiring. 

for lights you can buy Kasa lights and a driver or go for Control4 lights at 7-8x the price or the cheaper c4 essentials line.   You can also go for Lutron and a few other options.  You say 5 rooms - is there 1 switch per room or 5 per room?  Switches?  Dimmers?

sometimes it’s best to figure out the end goal, get a price and chip away at it.  Get the guts and wiring in place.  Then work these forums, eBay, etc and piece it together.  You may be happier with the additional functions of c4 lights vs the cheaper ones.  

$2k for all that ain't going to happen I'm afraid unless you already have some of the other items... eg Nest thermostat, cameras, security system, NVR,  4 room audio.

A basic c4 controller, remote and 5 c4 light switches are probably $1200 just for hardware.   Then $130 for the Home Edition software,  $100/yr for the cloud based access.  Plus dealer setup.

This doesnt touch any home networking setup  but assume you have that in another budget.     

Ok and I agree. Just trying to determine ballpark of what it'll cost to get my system up and running. Just for the C4 equipment, software and programming I don't want to spend more than $2k. 

So an EA3 and SR260 on eBay plus some remote dealer to set you up would be $2k.

I assume the other expenses are in other busget line items. Cameras speakers and amps there is $2k

2 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

guys I mean $2k just for control4 controller and programing. switches, cameras, cables etc. separate.

That’s easy to do assuming you don’t need to buy too many non C4 drivers

31 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

well I think I'll go control4.😁

what light switches can I use? I'm I locked in to only one type or can I use Lutron Casey's etc ? thanks 

I believe you can use the Lutron's but I think you need to buy the Lutron Bridge.   I have Lutron shades and use the bridge and works fine with C4.   But with the cost of the bridge, you probably would be able to get the C4 switches for not too much more.   C4 lights, with color, LED and engraving options make them a great option.

1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

How many items on the zigbee/project, how many audio feeds you want, etc. 

When you say audio feeds, do you mean zones or music sources/services?

Zigbee? They work with C4? 

Items on project do you mean number of smart switches etc.?

5 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

I don't think you ever participated in the other thread you created

36 minutes ago, mstrlucky74 said:

control4 has its own proprietary zigbee pro stack.  It can work with some other products on other protocols too - some zwave and other zigbee devices as well as IP devices (hard wired, wifi), or control over IR, RS232, etc to name a few.  And you can also integrate some other hubs like lutron hubs, vera, etc so that opens up things.  3rd party drivers bring in more integration - for instance anything with IFTTT can be integrated into control4.  But now you are moving to cloud integration vs local control.

Audio feeds goes both ways - the EA3 can put out 3 audio streams at once, the EA5 can put out 5.  They can go to tons of zones, likely more than you'll need.  People on here have 30+ audio zones.

and yes, the larger the project, the more horsepower you need.  The EA5 is a more powerful controller than the EA3.  That said the EA3 is well equipped to handle a lot of residential work.  

9 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

control4 has its own proprietary zigbee pro stack.  It can work with some other products on other protocols too - some zwave and other zigbee devices as well as IP devices (hard wired, wifi), or control over IR, RS232, etc to name a few.  And you can also integrate some other hubs like lutron hubs, vera, etc so that opens up things.  3rd party drivers bring in more integration - for instance anything with IFTTT can be integrated into control4.  But now you are moving to cloud integration vs local control.

Audio feeds goes both ways - the EA3 can put out 3 audio streams at once, the EA5 can put out 5.  They can go to tons of zones, likely more than you'll need.  People on here have 30+ audio zones.

and yes, the larger the project, the more horsepower you need.  The EA5 is a more powerful controller than the EA3.  That said the EA3 is well equipped to handle a lot of residential work.  

Truly appreciate the feedback. This forum alone is enough to make me a C4  user. Think I'll go with the EA3. Any other eye popping limitations?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.