C4 Forums | Control4

Are legacy wireless dimmers compatible with latest EA & CA controllers?

My home has the original LDZ-101 dimmers, installed around 14 years ago, and they work just fine with my EA-3 controller running OS3. Of course, their Zigbee stacks were upgraded along the way from Embernet to Zigbee Pro. AFAIK, there is no reason why they would not work with newer ones on the same mesh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, SMHarman said:

a fiddly 2 step upgrade path on an older controller.

Quite the understatement.

Not only does it REQUIRE an older controller (HC500/300/200) it must be done on older software. Dealer would need to have access to those (software isn't a problem - controllers might be)

Do note that older lighting has in SOME instances proven not as responsive on newer controllers (though better on EA series then on HC250/800).

In those scenarios, it may be required to have two meshes (or more depending on coverage) - one for old stuff, one for new - which means you would need to have multiple controllers.

This is NOT common, but should be noted as a possibility.

IF you're looking to 'save money' on a new install - just get the Essential line of lighting and save yourself the headache.

If you've got an existing setup and want to upgrade controllers, you shouldn't have any major issues.

On 9/27/2020 at 10:23 AM, hunger said:

My home has the original LDZ-101 dimmers, installed around 14 years ago, and they work just fine with my EA-3 controller running OS3. Of course, their Zigbee stacks were upgraded along the way from Embernet to Zigbee Pro. AFAIK, there is no reason why they would not work with newer ones on the same mesh.

Me too - mine were installed around the same time and I have several dozen of these dimmers and lots of 6 button keypads of the same era.

Quite the understatement.
Not only does it REQUIRE an older controller (HC500/300/200) it must be done on older software. Dealer would need to have access to those (software isn't a problem - controllers might be)

Pretty sure you can do this on a 250 and maybe an 800 on an older software version. 2.53?

I've never had a 500/300/200 in my system but have done this 5 years ago when I got a bunch of hardware.

1 hour ago, SMHarman said:

Pretty sure you can do this on a 250 and maybe an 800 on an older software version. 2.53?

I've never had a 500/300/200 in my system but have done this 5 years ago when I got a bunch of hardware.

250/800 aren't able to do embernet signals, so no - you cannot use those to update (you can certainly have a system on 2.5.3 running on on an HC800/250 - but you need to have one of the others in there to do the embernet communication, could be an HTC or MC too by the way, provided they are supported to run in the OS version you're updating in)

15 hours ago, Cyknight said:

LOL

I have a pile of HC200's for this - those things were pretty solid other than powersupply failures (and those are easy enough to get if needed) but probably haven't done one in over 2 years now. That said I have one coming up soon!

Curious.... do you find most embernet to zigbee conversions occur when the house changes owners? of is it a case of processor failure forcing conversion?

On 10/1/2020 at 7:54 AM, RAV said:

Curious.... do you find most embernet to zigbee conversions occur when the house changes owners? of is it a case of processor failure forcing conversion?

NOW I'd say 40% is 'standard' upgrades, 30/30 for new owner setup/failed controller.

There just isn't much left out there to update. Vast majority overall eventually went at least 1.8 or 2.x as a 'natural' process already

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.