C4 Forums | Control4

Using C4 to pass pool enclosure inspection

Dave w

has anybody been successful using C4 to pass local pool enclosure inspections in a jurisdiction that requires UL 2017 compliant alarms on all access doors?  My local code reads:

All doors providing direct access from a dwelling unit to the pool shall comply with one of the following: a. The door shall have an alarm that sound continuously for a minimum of 30 seconds within 7 seconds after the door and its screen, if present, are opened, and shall be capable of providing a sound pressure level of not less than 85 dBA when measured indoors at 10 feet. The alarm shall automatically reset under all conditions. The alarm system shall be equipped with a manual means, such as a touchpad or switch, to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening. Such deactivation shall last no longer than 15 seconds. The deactivation switch shall be located at least 54 inches above the threshold of the door, or b.....

Seems simple to accomplish with notifications....but my pool guy said it wont pass because "its too easy to deactivate."  He wants me to install these $50 battery operated trigger sensors that seem to pass fine.  ?? 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/safety-and-security/personal-security/5019709

my issue is that I have 17 doors going out to the pool to alarm and really dont want one of these things hanging off each one...nor do i want to pay for them when my home is alreadt smarter than that....

help...please.

9 hours ago, South Africa C4 user said:

You could make it (pretty much) impossible to bypass with C4 programming...

The point of the pool guy is that if C4 is down for whatever reason, the pool won't be complaint. I don't understand why safety issues like this are even considered messing with.

I’m a dealer and used Nyce door sensors and my audio distribution system to pass my pool inspection.  I have a keypad button near each door that I triple tap to toggle alarm state and change led color for status.

I also have the Nyce key fob that toggles the alarm on and off.  So it was really easy to go to each door, set the alarm, open door/alarm goes off, toggle the alarm button to shut off and then moved on to the next.

Granted, all my fence doors are always locked and I don’t have little kids that don’t swim to worry about.

Since inspection, I’ve yet to turn the alarm on.  Massachusetts is one of the strictest states for pool laws, so if it worked for me, I’d like to say it will work for you.

I wasn’t going to buy a temp fence that I’ll never use or have to store somewhere.  Nor was willing to buy those cheap door alarms that are ugly as sin.

lol...you wouldn't rely on C4 which is capable of multiply layers of redundancy and backup but a $40 battery powered alarm from a hardware store is ok?  Either can easily fail, bur I'm likely to know when c4 fails long before the cheap alarm.  But its a moot point as this is not a safety issue for us, its a compliance issue.  I'm not asking about which one in your opinion is more safe...i'm asking if anybody has passed compliance.  

Not all jurisdiction have same requirements, but the majority of those that do are based on the same standards and use same language....and while every inspector is different, knowing that somebody else passed after they added x or y feature that I did not think of could indeed be informative.

4 hours ago, Chico said:

The point of the pool guy is that if C4 is down for whatever reason, the pool won't be complaint. I don't understand why safety issues like this are even considered messing with.

As opposed to a dead battery? Or a magnetized door or frame?

At any rate, it's not up to a C4 dealer OR a pool installer to decide what is code or not - why not ask the inspector? Worst case the pool installer has them sitting ready to go and has them up in 15 minutes....

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.