C4 Forums | Control4

Araknis or stick with Luxul

C4CA

I’m considering making the change to Araknis currently have luxul Im a fan of OVRC and arankis websmart switches.   Can someone with experience give me there opinion on Araknis (810) vs luxul (1610) access points access points and overall performance.

Thank you

I would go Ruckus Unleashed, never need to look at the UI, they just work. There is a phone app for the very rare occassions you want a question answered or you want to ugprade firmware. The ratio of Ruckus installed base to the hyper-niche products has to be rediculous and wifi is all about client compatibility (at least until every device is 802.11ax/Wifi6 or 6Ghz). 

I second Ruckus. 

I just finished deploying two AP's and am very happy. 

Ruckus has realized that their products have migrated to the Prosumer market and have started YouTube videos focused to the setup and optimizing of their Unleashed AP's.

I  have to say that their help feature in Unleashed has to be the best in the industry.

40 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

Do folks think there will be a Rukus wifi 6e product this year?  Or at least an Araknis wifi 6 or 6e release?  Seems like Rukus is the only game in town for enterprise grade wifi 6 equipment...

Not sure if 6E is just a firmware release later or actual hardware changes are required.   I have been happy with the Ruckus R650 on Wifi6...  

Rucks isn't the only game for enterprise wifi gear. We use Ruckus and Fortinet for SOHO customers. Ironically I would tend to not use Ruckus for large installs, we use Aruba or Mist for those. Unleashed scales to something like 50ap max, Aruba instant scales to over 100. All of the controllerless solutions have scaling issues in large environments except Mist. We have customers with 10s of thousands of APs with hundreds per site so something like Ruckus is a no-go for them. Aruba Instant is probably the same range pricewise as Ruckus but no user friendly app.  Aruba is also about to go subscription with AOS10 so not a good choice for home use. Mist is already subscription so also not a good choice for home use. If you look at sales, Cisco, Aruba, Comscope/Ruckus, and Hauwei have the perponderance of the market. Ubiquiti is the big fish of the little guys with 4%...Luxul, Araknis, Packedge etc.. together are a rouding error... 

RE 6E, it's more important and will have more real world benefits than 802.11AX/WiFi 6:

1. Additional channels will allow enterprise customers to run 40 or 80 mhz channels. This is an issue with hundreds of APs in a building, especially if you are near ground radar that kills some of the DFS spectrum.

2. No legacy support. Wifi is a shared medium and clients can be anything from an 802.11B/G client with 1 spatial stream to a new Mac Laptop with an AX radio with 3x3 mimo. All communications to multiple nodes (broadcasts and multicasts) are sent at the lowest allowed connection rate. This wastes huge ammounts of bandwith. The old 802.11 signalling is someting like 16 or 32 bits per waveform (can't remember), whereas with OFDM an AX radio can pack 1024 bits per waveform. Further, in pre-AX, the client waits for clear air and talks. This doesn't provide the best performance. In AX signalling the AP controls client transmit opportunities so it can get better performance or do fancy mu-mimo things depending on who can hear what. That all completely breaks if you have a legacy node on the AP. No legacy support means far superior performance. 

3. Everybody gets to buy or sell new gear. ;)

6e requires new hardware because not just the radio but the signal path and antennas have to be reconfigured to work at 6Ghz. Enterprise radios usually have sideband filters to prevent interaction with cellular signals so they would need those filters changed/removed to work in the first place at a minimum.

We are expecting 6e units on price lists from leading manufacturers this fall with ship before EOY. I would assume the first round of chips will work OK but I wouldn't pay a premium for gen 1 hardware. I also wouldn't not buy if I needed gear. All things being equal I would wait for Gen 2 hardware with massive performance/stability improvements as we've seen year after year with N, AC, and AX.

That's a good point re gen 1 vs gen 2.  I have noticed a massive improvement between Wifi 6 and AC.  Much better range and higher transfer speeds (2-3X).  That being said, you can presumably get the same impact with enough access points properly tuned.  I am moving and planning a new Control4 system and it will be painful to me to switch back to AC (if not Rukus due to the cost)...  I assume I can't use my Orbi Wifi 6 system.

35 minutes ago, Topspin14m said:

That's a good point re gen 1 vs gen 2.  I have noticed a massive improvement between Wifi 6 and AC.  Much better range and higher transfer speeds (2-3X).  That being said, you can presumably get the same impact with enough access points properly tuned.  I am moving and planning a new Control4 system and it will be painful to me to switch back to AC (if not Rukus due to the cost)...  I assume I can't use my Orbi Wifi 6 system.

I’m not seeing that kind of improvement of WiFi 6 over AC wave 2...  maybe a 10% throughout gain and not much difference in range.  Maybe it’s just my ruckus setup  where I have great coverage with 4 APs in 5000sq ft

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.