C4 Forums | Control4

Alarm System Help - Thinking DSC Neo 64 zone?

rf9000

• rf9000 changed the title to Alarm System Help - Thinking DSC Neo 64 zone?

4 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

Yes it’s a good panel 

What module do I need to link this into C4? I know that I need the following items:

1 x HS2064 panel and cabinet

1 x 16.5V 40VA power transformer

1 x 12V 4A backup battery

Everything I have is hardwired except one patio door is a going to be a wireless  due to wiring constraints. This panel only has 8 hard wired zones so I will need to expand it. I would like to at least get more than enough hardwired zones.  I have wired:

-7 alarm sirens

- 4 motion detectors (for the alarm, I also have various ones that I will be using to trigger events but those dont get wired to the alarm panel I assume)

- 6 glass break sensors

- 5 wired door contacts

- 1 wireless door contact

11 hours ago, rf9000 said:

(for the alarm, I also have various ones that I will be using to trigger events but those dont get wired to the alarm panel I assume)

You can - c4 can read individual zones and there is no noticeable difference between wired motion to C4 vs wired zone to DSC Neo to C4 (wireless motion is a different matter, if that is needed you're better off putting in a directly connected zigbee motion)

12 hours ago, cshepard said:

Neo panels use the TL-280 for C4 integration.

But isn't the TL-280-re just for un-monitored systems? Wouldn't I need the TL-280-le-r for a cellular monitored system? What does everyone do these days? Is cellular monitoring common?

I have the TL280le and have both C4 integration with dual path monitoring (Ethernet and Cellular). As long as you plan to integrate to C4 via Ethernet, you do not need the card that includes serial but you can still use the card with LTE, Ethernet and Serial. I also agree with the comment above that you do not need 7 sirens. Do note that you cannot integrate with both Alarm.com and C4 that I know of. But you can have 3rd party monitoring and C4.

15 hours ago, cshepard said:

Neo panels use the TL-280 for C4 integration.

Can you recommend a good DIY book or reference for putting one of these systems in your own home?   Less about the C4 integration (I get that requires a dealer), more about setting up the panel, keypads, etc...

2 minutes ago, chudel said:

Can you recommend a good DIY book or reference for putting one of these systems in your own home?   Less about the C4 integration (I get that requires a dealer), more about setting up the panel, keypads, etc...

www.alarmsystemstore.com is a good DIY supplier. But a web search will give you others.

https://www.alarmgrid.com/ is also very good for DIY, both they and Alarmsystemstore will preprogram the whole system for you in advance for a small fee.  You then just install and pug it together.  What you don't get is onsite testing and walkthroughs to QC it all.  

Note that with the Neo system there are limitations on what you get in your navigators for alerts and feedback. For example you can get notified of alarm events, but you cannot see what zone was triggered in the notification.  You also cannot bypass specific zones when arming, etc...  Its very stable and reliable though once set up. 

On 1/21/2021 at 9:46 AM, C4 User said:

I have the TL280le and have both C4 integration with dual path monitoring (Ethernet and Cellular). As long as you plan to integrate to C4 via Ethernet, you do not need the card that includes serial but you can still use the card with LTE, Ethernet and Serial. I also agree with the comment above that you do not need 7 sirens. Do note that you cannot integrate with both Alarm.com and C4 that I know of. But you can have 3rd party monitoring and C4.

So just get the 280-le to be safe? Or will this not work at all if not third party monitored?

13 hours ago, Dave w said:

Yes it can be 3rd party monitored.   You can also use the DSC powerG sensors with the Qolsys panel and get 3rd party monitoring, Alarm.com, and C4 all at the same time: 

https://qolsys.reamaze.com/kb/faqs-for-iqp2/how-to-integrate-your-iq-system-with-control-4

Ok, but not really sure what any of that is. I apologize, but I'm just looking for a simple answer to my question. I'm not quite sure yet that I'm going to monitor the system. I also am unclear on  monitoring by cellular or Ethernet? Is one more commonly used than the other in this day and age? Which is better? IF I buy the 280-le and choose not to monitor at all, will I have any problems? I had heard that with one of these, I cant remember which one,  that it must be monitored.

Sorry, but there are no simple answers for you.  There are just too many variables.  But let me see if I can summarize...

You alarm panel communicates within its own system with sensors, keypads, sirens, etc....and does not need a communications card such as the TL280 to do this.   If you want to communicate with third parties then you need the communications card.  Certain ones are used for certain things.  For C4 you need either TL280 ethernet card with power neo boards.  There is a rumor you can also use the TL280 serial card, but I have not seen it actually done or had it verified by anybody.    For monitoring you need either the ethernet or cellular card or the dual band.  Most people use cellular over ethernet for monitoring if you have a good signal as its more reliable.  Many people use the dual band so you have both forms of communication as a fail safe. Since you need Eth for C4 you might as well get the dual band. If you know you never want monitoring the Eth card is fine. 

The Qolsys panel is an alternatives to the DSC panels that uses same PowerG sensors from DSC, but has all communications built in and will also integrate with alarm.com. All around more simple, cheaper, and good integration. But not as robust of a pure alarm panel from a security installer perspective as to features and flexibility. But that doesn;t seem like it matters to you.   

Alarm systems are complex.  You might consider just hiring somebody and being done with it. 

-1 If you want to monitor a DSC NEO AND integrate it, you're stuck with land-line or cellular. If you need to use cellular, you will need the le board, and as you mention, YES you will HAVE to enable it (at least the cellular portion even if you're not monitoring) and pay for it. At least I can tell you that everytime we came across this card, it would not operate properly until the cellular card was activated.

On 1/20/2021 at 6:13 AM, rf9000 said:

for the alarm, I also have various ones that I will be using to trigger events but those dont get wired to the alarm panel I assume

If motion evens is what you want, you do NOT want to wire these to a Qolsys. The units seem to work well as such and is one of the easiest (maybe THE easiest) to setup as well as get integrated, but pass-through response is too slow for individual sensors.

Are you going to have system monitored?

If yes, what services do you want to use? If  Alarm.com, I think it, won't work with both systems (Control4 and ADC use same same slot for connection and  you can not split it). DSC Power can work with both system together. But..... I have never connected 64 zone system to C4 and ADC simultaneously.

23 hours ago, vitali said:

If  Alarm.com, I think it, won't work with both systems (Control4 and ADC use same same slot for connection and  you can not split it). DSC Power can work with both system together. But..... I have never connected 64 zone system to C4 and ADC simultaneously.

Uhm...

23 hours ago, Cyknight said:

If you want to monitor a DSC NEO AND integrate it, you're stuck with land-line or cellular.

.😋

On 1/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, chudel said:

youtube!!!  But wait..... 64 zones???? First time I installed 8 zone DSC NEO I found it is easier than Home theater installation... But, if it comes to big system, you need to consider a lot of "small things". Multiple power sources, distances, etc. It may be not that easy. I mean not easy at all for DIY without experience. 

On 1/28/2021 at 11:09 PM, Cyknight said:

-1 If you want to monitor a DSC NEO AND integrate it, you're stuck with land-line or cellular. If you need to use cellular, you will need the le board, and as you mention, YES you will HAVE to enable it (at least the cellular portion even if you're not monitoring) and pay for it. At least I can tell you that everytime we came across this card, it would not operate properly until the cellular card was activated.

If motion evens is what you want, you do NOT want to wire these to a Qolsys. The units seem to work well as such and is one of the easiest (maybe THE easiest) to setup as well as get integrated, but pass-through response is too slow for individual sensors.

Another option is to communicate via cellular with one of these...

https://www.uplink.com/our-products/alarm-communicators/

They use the bells output on the panel to trigger the cellular call to the alarm monitoring center.   I have the regular TL280 (non cellular) and use an Uplink for outbound cellular.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.