C4 Forums | Control4

Advanced alarm programming

I currently have a GE interlogix panel. I have sensors on all windows, doors, motions, etc 

Despite multiple attempts, I'm unable to do (what I think C4 should have) advanced programming. 

Examples 

1. Have the panel send the id of the individual who disarmed to C4. Would like to program a push notification. 

2. Have the panel report which zone caused a fail to arm event. Again - would like to program an announcement and/or push notification. 

3. Do cool stuff - if window open and darksky weather driver reports rain in an hour then play announcement and/or push notification. 

I'm at the point where I likely have to change panels. I would like to avoid anything dependant on the cloud. Can anyone tell me whether dsc or another panel would accomplish the custom programming above. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, ERDrPC said:

I currently have a GE interlogix panel. I have sensors on all windows, doors, motions, etc 

Despite multiple attempts, I'm unable to do (what I think C4 should have) advanced programming. 

Examples 

1. Have the panel send the id of the individual who disarmed to C4. Would like to program a push notification. 

2. Have the panel report which zone caused a fail to arm event. Again - would like to program an announcement and/or push notification. 

3. Do cool stuff - if window open and darksky weather driver reports rain in an hour then play announcement and/or push notification. 

I'm at the point where I likely have to change panels. I would like to avoid anything dependant on the cloud. Can anyone tell me whether dsc or another panel would accomplish the custom programming above. 

Thanks

I had the GE, so based on memory it only reported the open/close...   there may be others online with it currently....

1. I didn't think it would do that. I don't remember that there's variable passed that had the alarm code of users to C4 from the driver

2. use the sensor's to trigger a notification

3. again use the sensors that are being bound to trigger anything.

I just moved to Qolsys, and I really like the system and integration. But as with the GE system, I don't see a way to let you know who unlocked the system.

Hopefully someone has direct knowledge of doing that...I'm more than happy to learn a new trick.

1 hour ago, South Africa C4 user said:

I would have thought that almost any security system can do this with some programming... but I may well be wrong.

It's Ironic that a security system's driver would pass user codes. That goes against basic security principals 101.

2 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

It's Ironic that a security system's driver would pass user codes. That goes against basic security principals 101.

Identifying the individual who activates /  deactivates the alarm does not require the user code to be passed...

For instance, you could have the following:

User number : User name : User code

1 : Master : ****

2 : Mr Smith : ****

3 : Mrs Smith : ****

All that one is interested for programming is User name (or even user number)

7 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

I had the GE, so based on memory it only reported the open/close...   there may be others online with it currently....

1. I didn't think it would do that. I don't remember that there's variable passed that had the alarm code of users to C4 from the driver

2. use the sensor's to trigger a notification

3. again use the sensors that are being bound to trigger anything.

I just moved to Qolsys, and I really like the system and integration. But as with the GE system, I don't see a way to let you know who unlocked the system.

Hopefully someone has direct knowledge of doing that...I'm more than happy to learn a new trick.

So I've tried for the life of me to program 2 and 3. The security driver has a variable that looks like it should have the info for the failed zone. However the security panel never actually sends the info or allows it to be pulled into C4. 

All my windows have open/closed sensors. But cannot program off of them. 

3: You need to add sensor drivers (generic) then connect them to the virtual relays from the security driver.

2: Program a notification for trouble starts, using the ability to 'add variable' - trouble type is under the main driver device variables, I'd also add trouble tex under the partition device variables. Maybe display text as well for complete info.

1: under the the main device drivers there is the option of Partition 'x' last user - that'll give you the last user name so as per (2) you can send a notification on system disarmed, with that variable info.

As per above, user codes are never transmitted - they are encrypted and blocked from view.

This is assuming you are using the newer driver - not the old one (if you're on 3.x you're good, if you are on 2.x and have the 'circle' to arm/disarm you're good)

fwiw, I have the same panel and am doing #2 so I know that works.

For each window am using a window contact sensor, and each door has a door contact sensor. They are connected to the contact sensor outputs on the superbus 2000 driver. Then (programming) on an arm fail, I look to see which window/door was open and then send the push notification.

Implementing #3 should be the same conceptually.

5 minutes ago, cjh said:

Then (programming) on an arm fail, I look to see which window/door was open and then send the push notification.

Sure, but much easier to just get the info direct from the panel 😉

5 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Sure, but much easier to just get the info direct from the panel 😉

I do it that way so I can turn lights on in the room w/ open win or door. Agreed, if push notification only you're right.

2 minutes ago, cjh said:

I do it that way so I can turn lights on in the room w/ open win or door.

Ah ok,  yeah, then you'd have to program off of an 'actual' sensor.

I was still in the 'notification mode' in which case that could be a VERY long line of IF statements just to get 'bedroom window is bypassed' in a single notification, or you're potentially get a huge string of notifications if multiple sensors are open.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2021 at 3:05 PM, cjh said:

For each window am using a window contact sensor, and each door has a door contact sensor. They are connected to the contact sensor outputs on the superbus 2000 driver. Then (programming) on an arm fail, I look to see which window/door was open and then send the push notification.

Implementing #3 should be the same conceptually.

@cjh

Any chance you can post or send me a screenshot of some programing examples?

Thanks

5 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

I have 8 partitions in my system. 

Do I need to include the trouble text and display text for each partition zone? 

I'd be very surprised if you have 8 ACTIVE partitions - most likely 1, maybe 2 or 3 if you have separate buildings.

the programming that I have done but doesn't work

Define not work - are you getting emails or pop-up notifications in but they're not populating the info, or are you not getting anything to come through?

5 hours ago, Neo1738 said:

My guess is as stated only Partition 1 is being used so if you're trying to program any others it will error. 

Partition 1 is called "house security". That is the only partition that I am using to program the notification. 

Has anyone been able to pull the zone in error from the alarm panel. Having a single if zone failed (variable) then push text "$variable zone is open" makes more sense. 

I understand that I could have 42 if statements (one for each window) but that seems like a lot of wasted programming. Also, I'd be concerned that the alarm panel itself will clear the error prior to all 42 if statements being evaluated at run-time. 

17 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

@Cyknight Any suggestions - I think I have 8 partitions due to the size of my system? Each window is a separate sensor. 

I thought I followed your suggestion for programming. Can you lead me to where I errored? 

It'll load all POSSIBLE partitions by default, but reads the panel and disables unused ones. Main driver info should state what partitions are inactive.

I'd try doing an email test - see if it loads values in there better, to get an idea on what's going on.

Here is what I setup with email

Trouble Type ${Security->Security::TROUBLE_TYPE}
Last Arm Failed ${Security->House Security::LAST_ARM_FAILED}
Trouble text ${Security->House Security::TROUBLE_TEXT}
Open zone count ${Security->House Security::OPEN_ZONE_COUNT}
Display text ${Security->House Security::DISPLAY_TEXT}
Partion1 last user ${Security->Security::PARTITION1_LAST_USER}
Partition State ${Security->House Security::PARTITION_STATE}

This was the output:

Trouble Type 
Last Arm Failed Bypass
Trouble text 
Open zone count 1
Display text System Ready
Type code to arm
Partion1 last user UNKNOWN
Partition State DISARMED_READY
This event happened at : 3/19/2021  1:47 PM EDT

So you will see nothing displays for trouble type, last arm failed, trouble text. Open zone count is 1 which is correct. Display text is "System Ready
Type code to arm" which makes no sense unless the alarm panel clears the error before C4 and pull? 

this thing is killing me

This is my baseline panel screen

20210319_143456.jpg.4d72908e5300f5463853b5ddc9fbaae1.jpg

This is the screen with an open zone

20210319_143517.jpg.803f1397b46112987afbc83ca13397b3.jpg

I have to press the down arrow in order to see this

20210319_143522.jpg.495fab24b1b7bf1b500fc01c32b79ab2.jpg

Even when the door is held open and I attempt to arm - I get a display text "system ready, type code to arm" from my email notification. The alarm screen  is "system not ready for help, press ->" This makes it seem like C4 is not pulling the right text??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.