C4 Forums | Control4

Google Nest Thermostat Driver V2 disabled...

Jabou

Hi,

I am trying to added a Nest Thermostat to my project. I've added the Master Driver and followed the directions to connect to Google and to Control4 accounts and then added the Nest Driver.

My problem is that after I add the driver, I get an 'Nest Thermostat not allowed in   . driver is disabled' ... and nothing works.

I've also tried adding the Master Driver and the Nest Driver without connecting to Google or Control4 - and I get the same problem.

Anyone run into a similar problem and have a fix? Thanks in advance!

jb

This is from the driver info...

Google Nest Thermostat

Manufacturer: Google Nest Model: Google Nest Thermostat
Creator: Control4 Modified Date: Wed Oct 14 13:30:00 UTC 2020
Device Type: THERMOSTATV2 Control Method:  
Version: 16 Certified: FALSE
Supported OS Version: 2.8.2 and above
Driver Type: C4Z  (This driver type requires Control4 OS version 2.6.0 or higher)

• 2 months later...

Must a NEST Thermostat have to have 5 wires to install and function. My home is only 8 years old so I would have expected wiring for smart Thermostats. Mu Local dealer said that I did not have the correct wiring.

Are there any workarounds?

Is it the same for Control4 Thermostats?

13 hours ago, fdastoor said:

Must a NEST Thermostat have to have 5 wires to install and function. My home is only 8 years old so I would have expected wiring for smart Thermostats. Mu Local dealer said that I did not have the correct wiring.

It may not be the wire count that is the problem and more the brand.  Some HVAC brands use the thermostat wires to communicate over a bus instead of triggering relays. 

Use the compatibility checker. 

https://store.google.com/us/widget/compatibility/thermostat?hl=en-US&GoogleNest

14 hours ago, fdastoor said:

Nest has some power adapters if you are missing your common wire (continuous power)  so you could check and see if you have a compatible model. No C4 units do not need common,  they have 4aa batteries to run on like a traditional Tstat. 5wire is pretty much needed for any smart unit but most HVAC guys still run 4wire to save on cost. I normally run 7wire because of humidity, remote temp options etc. 

51 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

I've never installed a Nest, nor care to, but.....you could use the wiring to install a remote temp sensor at the current tstat location, then move the stat down to your hvac unit.  Much cleaner look like this anyway.

this is what I did (but using C4's Thermostat vs Nest).  though the nest is "nice" looking its still wall acne at the end of the day

17 hours ago, fdastoor said:

It depends on two factors.

1) what was the previous thermostat wired for / what type of furnace it is?  IE. was it wired for a 'communicating' thermostat.  IE.  4 wires.  2 wires for power, 2 wires for data?  Where does the wires go back to?  @DanITman was referring to this. 

Some newer Carrier furnaces use communicating thermostats for their high efficient 7 stage furnaces.  If it is a newer Carrier and you want to install a different thermostat you will have to give up the 7 stage efficiency.  It means it will burn more gas, it's not a lot more, but it is something to consider.  

2) If it's a standard furnace, it depends on how many functions the furnace is doing.

- How many stages of heat

- How many stages of cool

- Is there a fan connected?

If it's a simple single stage heat with fan control you need 4 wires but they have to go back to the furnace.  

- 2 wires for power

- 1 wire for fan

- 1 wire for heating

While it is possible to run some thermostats off batteries. I don't recommend doing it.

4 hours ago, Control4Savant said:

Nest has some power adapters if you are missing your common wire (continuous power)  so you could check and see if you have a compatible model. No C4 units do not need common,  they have 4aa batteries to run on like a traditional Tstat. 5wire is pretty much needed for any smart unit but most HVAC guys still run 4wire to save on cost. I normally run 7wire because of humidity, remote temp options etc. 

Nest has a battery inside of it and it can steal power when heat or ac is running.  When its stealing power it charges the battery. 

I am not a fan of nest thermostats.  I have fixed more HVAC problems/installs from other companies that use them then I care to count/remember.

One of the things I have seen is that if the battery gets low, the thermostat shuts off so it can charge the battery.  In a winter climate where temps can get down to -40F... the last thing I want the thermostat to do is shut off 🙈😂.

While the Control4 thermostat and many others do have 4 AA batteries, I never use them to run the thermostats (we install them but just back up purposes).. again, don't want anything happening during cold winters.  We always supply power from the furnace, it's safer and better.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
On 9/1/2021 at 12:54 AM, DanITman said:

This error will show when you don't have a location set on your project.  The driver only works in certain countries.

@DanITman

You mean the location on Control4 project or nest app? 

Is there a way to bypass the location???

I need to get it up and running in Sri Lanka…. 

can you please help ?

On 11/23/2023 at 11:32 PM, Dinushan Paranavithana said:

@DanITman

You mean the location on Control4 project or nest app? 

Is there a way to bypass the location???

I need to get it up and running in Sri Lanka…. 

can you please help ?

Location in the Control4 project.  You can change your location in your project and the driver will work.  However, that location is used for a lot of other things so I'm not sure you want to do that. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.