C4 Forums | Control4

Contemporary Lighting & Engraving

9 hours ago, ejn1 said:

I agree, but this decora thing may prevent me and many others from pulling the trigger.

It's more than likely going to prevent me from pulling the trigger on retrofitting.  I have a mix of Lutron switches, mechanical rocker switches and C4 keypads.  I have Eaton decora switch plates everywhere, and having to replace them with C4 plates is both a) expensive and b) annoying (maybe impossible?) due to the combination of switches I have.  I feel like C4 sort of dropped the ball on this whole thing.  Very disappointing. 

On 11/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, bobbay said:

The Contemporary dimmers/switches are NOT decora. They are smaller. They will fit in a Decora faceplate, but there will be gaps around the device. C4 Contemporary faceplates will NOT work with standard decora outlets, switches etc. The opening is smaller than a Decora opening. There is, or is going to be, a C4 faceplate that is 1 contemporary opening and 1 decora opening. 

Maybe there was a design constraint with the existing switches that caused them to go away from the decora form factor, but this seems like a terrible choice. 

Can someone take a photo of the contemporary buttons in a decora faceplate?

9 minutes ago, WhyPhy said:

I think the contemporary buttons look fine in decora wall plates if you use the old-style light bar. The only configuration that looks bad is the top middle (decora plate with new recessed light bar.)

(unless I’m misinterpreting the photo.)

One thing that the photo in the lower right/top right doesn't make super obvious is that the keypad buttons stick out from the Decora plate quite a bit, which looks bad from the side profile.

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

One thing that the photo in the lower right/top right doesn't make super obvious is that the keypad buttons stick out from the Decora plate quite a bit, which looks bad from the side profile.

Basically, look at your current lighting in a standard decora, note the furthest point sticks out - the contemporary sticks out as much (maybe even a touch more), but all along the edge, straight, with a sharp edge vs the rounded off way the current ones are from the edge to that furthest point.

I've said it before, and I'll repeat it. Contemporary can be FIT using a decora plate, but it won't look good, defeating the whole point. Either go all the way or stick with the 'traditional' look.

And as I've said, if you are looking for total consistency with your outlets and outlet faceplates, you are SOL, unless C4 starts making outlets that match the size of the Contemporary switches (good luck).

I love the look of the Contemporary switches - very modern and the visual elimination of the actuator bar and light bar make it look very clean.  I think they could have carried off the same look and still have done it in the traditional Decora size to not create all of these issues.

For example, in my office I have a C4 switch above a built in credenza, then there are two outlets spaced out on the wall at the same height - the faceplates are all the same, everything at the same height, etc.  Could not do this if I switched over to the Contemporary.

5 hours ago, anon2828 said:

unless C4 starts making outlets that match the size of the Contemporary switches (good luck).

Well... if they do come out with a change kit for the essential line, it'd be interesting to see if they come out with a change kit for outlets. Of course, that could get rather costly 🤷‍♂️

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.