C4 Forums | Control4

Extracting Audio from Apple TV

Samurvi

Hi,

I have currently my Apple TV connected to an AV receiver with outputs to the Family room speakers. This works fine. I would like to get sound from the Apple TV to another room which has Sonos speakers through a audio matrix switch.

To feed the audio to Sonos bridge, I need to extract audio from the HDMI port on Apple TV.. I have seen some products available on amazon that do this. However, I am also told that by doing that, I will likely

not get a 4K resolution from that device for my family room. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to split the audio to 2 different rooms from the HDMI port on Apple TV and also not lose any resolution?

Thanks

Samaresh

• 4 weeks later...

Well what you linked is a splitter (and I don't see audio extraction off of it...) so that wouldn't work at all.

As for using an extractor to get stereo (or digi) audio off of an HDMI, there's plenty of devices out there that do it - but many have limited support for 4K. They'll sey they are, but only at 30Hz, or limiting int hat they won't to yyc 444, only yyc 422 or 420, don't do HDR, or HDR only at 30Hz, or lower number of color bits etc etc.

Certainly does exists, but prices can go up quick if you want full  any of the following: ycc 444 support at 4K with HDR, downmixing especially from atmos so the receiver keeps full atmos capability, and not even usre if there IS one that does all this above 8bit color....

Here's one, and it's still limited to 8 bit on yyc 444 ...

https://www.avproedge.com/ac-avdm-auhd.html

It goes for around $1000 USD on amazon I believe......

My AV receiver has audio outs on RCAs.   I use these to feed the little RF link that goes straight to my hearing aids.   The only issue is that the thing doesn't have a stereo-only out.    I had to put a little mixer to mix a bit of the center channel into the left and right as the hearing aid thing only has a straight stereo input.

No need to spend the crazy amount on the AVProEdge device; Atlona has essentially the same device for much cheaper: https://atlona.com/product/at-hdr-m2c/

Additionally, since the ATV doesn't pass anything more than DD+, I would recommend taking a look at JTech Digital's Extractor that can still pass through DV: https://jtechdigital.com/product/hdmi-2-0-audio-extractor-converter-with-downmix-jtech-exd2/. Don't know if it can do DD+, but it can do DD. 

2 hours ago, tmj4 said:

I would recommend taking a look at JTech Digital's Extractor that can still pass through DV: https://jtechdigital.com/product/hdmi-2-0-audio-extractor-converter-with-downmix-jtech-exd2/.

Great place to start.  You'll probably be very happy with it.  Here's the other cheap solution I would recommend :

https://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Converter-Repeater-Splitter-Amplifier/dp/B07D9BNVM1/ref=sr_1_1?crid=29Q1FKD2IDTW4&keywords=av+access+4k+60hz+hdmi+2.0+audio+extractor+converter&qid=1648162252&sprefix=av+access+HDMI+audio+%2Caps%2C114&sr=8-1

Cy is right - this can be challenging  

On 3/22/2022 at 8:22 PM, Cyknight said:

downmixing especially from atmos so the receiver keeps full atmos capability

4 hours ago, tmj4 said:

No need to spend the crazy amount on the AVProEdge device; Atlona has essentially the same device for much cheaper: https://atlona.com/product/at-hdr-m2c/

Aaaah but it doesn't. 4K @ 60Hz up to 6 feet only (!?). This may not be a huge issue for the device's most common installs but....

Also note how they say the can do 4K@60 with 4:4:4 ... PLUS support for HDR. But they don't say they do 4K@60 WITH HDR

It down misxes ... but it doesn't downmix AND pass - the downmix will come out of the HDMI as well

This essentially underlines my point - you can certainly strip audio off of HDMI, but it comes at a cost one way or another. Cheap(ish) options will limit resolution, audio HDR and YYC to one degree or another, or you're paying a LOT for a device, likely several times over the cost of device you're trying to get audio from.

Moreover, they'll bury the EXACT capabilities in wording that will make it seem they do more than they do, without lying outright of course 😉

And yes, obviously I grabbed one of the most extravagantly expensive options for my example.

I'm not saying don't do it - just saying understand what you're getting.

3 minutes ago, OceanDad said:

He's talking about a second room that uses Sonos speakers.  It's not exactly a high-end theater room.  I'd say spend $50 on Amazon first and see if you are happy with the result.

I have a client that has a 500K+ Theatre room, 11.2 Atmos, that wanted all sources to play audio outside in the sitting area. True, these aren't sonos speakers, but Control4 Amps, but that hardly changes anything.

I wouldn't 'assume' Atmos etc isn't of importance, or 4K60 HDR10+/DV at 4:4:4 - but instead inform what the possible limitations are.

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

Also note how they say the can do 4K@60 with 4:4:4 ... PLUS support for HDR. But they don't say they do 4K@60 WITH HDR

Absolutely does it WITH HDR. 

1 hour ago, Cyknight said:

but it doesn't downmix AND pass - the downmix will come out of the HDMI as well

Also not the case. A downmix to PCM comes out of that specified HDMI port, but it also downmixes on the RCA/optical output while passing through all audio natively on the main HDMI output. 

Source: I'm using 4 of these in my AV rack presently 

16 hours ago, tmj4 said:

1) Absolutely does it WITH HDR. 

2) Also not the case. A downmix to PCM comes out of that specified HDMI port, but it also downmixes on the RCA/optical output while passing through all audio natively on the main HDMI output. 

Source: I'm using 4 of these in my AV rack presently 

Hey you're right, their pro spec sheet has indeed been updated to reflect that. - they updated that from the original piece I got - nice going Atlona.

Yet, it hardly really defeats the point, as it's retail price is still coming in at 550-600 USD. That's still several times the cost of an AppleTV you're trying to strip audio off, and you'd still have to consider if the functionality is worth the cost, and at the same time if you want all that function ... you're not going to get it cheaply off of amazon

54 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

et, it hardly really defeats the point, as it's retail price is still coming in at 550-600 USD. T

Isn't that the truth. It's amazing to me how much licensing is to decode Atmos/DTS:X on these devices compared to just DD/DTS. "Yes I'd like to extract the audio for my audio matrix from the $50 Roku I got at the company Christmas party..."

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just extract audio from the TV back to the AMS. There area some drawbacks to this method. 

1) You'll likely need to disable Atmos audio output on your apple TV as your TV often won't downmix an Atmos track to 2-channel stereo required for your TVs audio output.

2) due to multiple levels of processing/handoff (ATV to receiver, receiver to TV, TV to optical converter if needed) you will end up with an audio delay between your receiver audio output and your second zone audio. If you only plan to use one or the other and won't listed to both simultaneously, then it's not an issue.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.