C4 Forums | Control4

Apple Carplay

My apologies if this has been covered in other topics but my searches yielded very few results.  Carplay/Android Auto seems like such a natural extension for the C4 platform.  Having access to garage doors, lighting and a few other items would be great to have on screen in our vehicles.  I have seen references to others using Carplay with C4 though 3rd party integrations.  Could anyone share what integration/driver that you are using and anywhere that I could go for more information?  I am a dealer and want to experiment with it on our demo system.

Thank you!

I have no experience on the Apple side of this, but I've been using Android Auto in my vehicles in this way for the last couple of years. I give a simple voice command, and it opens the garage door, unlocks the door to the house, turns off the alarm, and turns on the lights. Works really well, and we really like the ease of use here.

It might not be enough for you to switch to Android, but just wanted to mention that this does work well.

1 hour ago, Kaas Mayer said:

apple doesnt allow any genre of carplay apps. as far as i know homeautomation is forbidden. 

maybe we will see a homekit integration at the apple developer conf in june

Just because there's no CarPlay for apple home or c4 apps doesn't mean apple doesn't allow.

If you go the the CarPlay dashboard, your garage will show up when you are close to home. <- example of home automation in CarPlay.

1 hour ago, Don Cohen said:

I have no experience on the Apple side of this, but I've been using Android Auto in my vehicles in this way for the last couple of years. I give a simple voice command, and it opens the garage door, unlocks the door to the house, turns off the alarm, and turns on the lights. Works really well, and we really like the ease of use here.

It might not be enough for you to switch to Android, but just wanted to mention that this does work well.

two things here.....for apple.

the first, in order to use apple anything for automation (I mean HomeKit, not the c4 app) you will need to home bridge driver/app.  -> http://www.varietassoftware.com/control4/

now the bad news, in CarPlay only 1 garage will be available as an option.  through C4 I can use CarPlay to open the garage then automate other things based on time of day.

the good news, you can use Siri to ask for automation tasks.

Thanks guys.  I am actually an Android user for the past 10+ years.  I have been considering making the switch to iOS but not right away.  Those of you using Android Auto...you are just using the voice capabilities, correct?  No visuals on the screen?  It would be great to see the status of a garage door or lighting on the screen.

7 minutes ago, indecision said:

Thanks guys.  I am actually an Android user for the past 10+ years.  I have been considering making the switch to iOS but not right away.  Those of you using Android Auto...you are just using the voice capabilities, correct.  No visuals on the screen?  It would be great to see the status of a garage door or lighting on the screen.

Correct. Google Assistance voice commands only. If there is a way to get device status on-screen, I'm not aware of it.

8 hours ago, ekohn00 said:

two things here.....for apple.

the first, in order to use apple anything for automation (I mean HomeKit, not the c4 app) you will need to home bridge driver/app.  -> http://www.varietassoftware.com/control4/

now the bad news, in CarPlay only 1 garage will be available as an option.  through C4 I can use CarPlay to open the garage then automate other things based on time of day.

the good news, you can use Siri to ask for automation tasks.

Thank you for the link/info.  The Varietas solution is interesting.  Has anyone used the DVI Automation's Homekit driver?  https://drivercentral.io/platforms/control4-drivers/utility/siri-voice-module/

Apple currently doesn't allow home automation apps for CarPlay - right now, it's just a small list of categories that they're willing to support for CarPlay:

• Audio
  • Communication
  • EV Charging
  • Navigation
  • Parking
  • Quick Food Ordering

In fact, to even add support for CarPlay to your iOS app requires requesting the appropriate permissions from Apple - it's not something a developer can just enable to even experiment with. You may want to look into some of the other solutions mentioned above, but right now, CarPlay isn't an option for us to add to the iOS app.

2 hours ago, Skipper J said:

Apple currently doesn't allow home automation apps for CarPlay - right now, it's just a small list of categories that they're willing to support for CarPlay:

• Audio
  • Communication
  • EV Charging
  • Navigation
  • Parking
  • Quick Food Ordering

In fact, to even add support for CarPlay to your iOS app requires requesting the appropriate permissions from Apple - it's not something a developer can just enable to even experiment with. You may want to look into some of the other solutions mentioned above, but right now, CarPlay isn't an option for us to add to the iOS app.

Good to know you tried.

The temp fix is apple does allow a garage door to be opened and the above solutions do allow you to move your c4 Door into Sirir (thus onto your CarPlay Dashboard) and of course you can then run scripts against the garage door. Not perfect, but at least I can open the door and turn on lights at night.

6 hours ago, Skipper J said:

• Audio
  • Communication
  • EV Charging
  • Navigation
  • Parking
  • Quick Food Ordering

Thanks so much for the response.  Hopefully they will add more support for home automation.  I can think of a lot of cool ways to use it.

3 minutes ago, ERDrPC said:

Anyone have specifics on how to setup using Google assistant. Any specific driver needed? 

The Google Assistant driver. May be installed already and then enabled via customer.control4.com

Thanks. It was in there. So I have it all setup but of course my garage doors aren't discovered. 

They are hardwired to my EA5. 

I created a voice scene and in programing "when voice command turn on east garage door" is received I chose open East garage from the actions tab. 

Is that all I have to do?

12 hours ago, ERDrPC said:

One last follow up. Although my door locks are recognized when trying to test them - "this action is blocked"

This is for security reasons, anyone can open your door using same voice commands, so for safety, make it using a physical button in your car like a door opener or in the C4 App only

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.