C4 Forums | Control4

How to reboot?

I used to ssh into director and reboot.  That isnt possible anymore since 3.0.  Then I used to use the Driver Central cloud driver which had an action to reboot the controller. That seems gone now too.

I really would prefer not to power cycle.  There must be another way.  Right????  :)

4 hours ago, Kyle Coolabode said:

Controller Reboot Driver still works. I use it all the time. 

Just a heads up. But the reboot controller actions in drivers have been removed because I believe they will break soon and people will no longer be able to do it via driver (unless doing hard reboot)

6 hours ago, pfissure said:

I used to ssh into director and reboot.  That isnt possible anymore since 3.0.  Then I used to use the Driver Central cloud driver which had an action to reboot the controller. That seems gone now too.

I really would prefer not to power cycle.  There must be another way.  Right????  :)

Just wondering why you're rebooting?

You can reboot Controllers via System manager if you need to.

13 minutes ago, Andrew luecke said:

Just wondering why you're rebooting?

I go with the system manager method because I have been told by multiple C4 tech support guys that it is better for the Controller. Mostly along the lines of shutting down processes and how it comes back online.

3 hours ago, pfissure said:

I used to ssh into director and reboot.  That isnt possible anymore since 3.0.

You can still terminal into a controller you just need to do it from Composer. While on system design Right Click on the controller and select terminal. There are ways around the OS 3 lock down on doing a direct SSH connection.

5 hours ago, TFlury said:

You can reboot Controllers via System manager if you need to.

I go with the system manager method because I have been told by multiple C4 tech support guys that it is better for the Controller. Mostly along the lines of shutting down processes and how it comes back online.

You can still terminal into a controller you just need to do it from Composer. While on system design Right Click on the controller and select terminal. There are ways around the OS 3 lock down on doing a direct SSH connection.

I suspect this might be an enduser. I could be wrong, but not sure if Composer HE has System Manager, or access to terminal?

I guess my question was more, in what circumstances and why is @pfissure rebooting the controller, more than why it's being done via software? Is it to resolve an issue with a specific driver, for maintenance or for another reason? Because Driver issues should be reported to the developer, and maintenance shouldn't be required (unless a driver has a bug)  

10 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Not sure why it does it - Was told years ago to do it this way 

23 hours ago, pfissure said:

Really??  is that a bug or a feature?  why would that happen?  

It's neither a 'bug' nor a 'feature' - the system simply has to reload (understand that it's not a power cycle, it's a 'soft' director restart and project reload) to change the internal time and sync all devices.

If you system is running after OS3.2.3, it should be Ovrc Hub built in.  You can add your controller into Ovrc platform, and add client service, set up controller reboot.  then you can use it from Ovrc Home app.  if you are enduser, you might need your dealer to help you.  Once the button is created,  you can use it all the time. 

19 hours ago, Wiselife said:

Once the button is created,  you can use it all the time. 

Well....the one downside is that if you're rebooting because that main controller froze up, it is likely it won't work. Then again, no reboot driver would either.

In the end, the REAL solution is to remove the need to regularly re-load director.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.