C4 Forums | Control4

delay when hitting buttons/remote etc

Weird thing started happening in the house right now. Intermittent delays in carrying out any command. Eg. Dish or Direct TV or Roku or ATV all will work fine then suddenly not register button presses from the remote (happens with SR260, NEEO, touchscreen, and iPhone app) then suddenly catch up with those button presses. Tried resetting EA5, remotes, rebooted composer....nothing seems to fix it. Light switches also intermittently have delays in firing the programming of the button. It is intermittent which makes it very hard to figure out. Any suggestions? Thanks

i would try a controller reboot, if it comes back like he said, driver issue. steps would be some controller logs or remove some 3rd party drivers to see if it comes back. its one of those things to find trial and error

23 hours ago, pkkaiser said:

Weird thing started happening in the house right now. Intermittent delays in carrying out any command. Eg. Dish or Direct TV or Roku or ATV all will work fine then suddenly not register button presses from the remote (happens with SR260, NEEO, touchscreen, and iPhone app) then suddenly catch up with those button presses. Tried resetting EA5, remotes, rebooted composer....nothing seems to fix it. Light switches also intermittently have delays in firing the programming of the button. It is intermittent which makes it very hard to figure out. Any suggestions? Thanks

Which 3rd party drivers are you running?

Did you recently install sonos? 

35 minutes ago, pkkaiser said:

Nothing recently installed. We do have sonos but that has been fine for 5 years. Is there a log I can check in composer pro to see if there is a memory issue? 

I'd start with ensuring Sonos isn't the issue. If its Wifi its not an issue.. Otherwise, try unplugging all but 1 from ethernet..

Do you have any Chowmain drivers? We can arrange a remote login if so, and I'll be able to provide more info.. Otherwise, best to list what 3rd party drivers you have (chances are, it will be VERY easy to identify if you have a bad driver then)

On 8/10/2022 at 9:54 AM, Andrew luecke said:

Just an update.  This problem has been mostly solved now (removing other 3rd party drivers fixed the issues).  

Can u just PM me with the driver(s) that caused this slow issues, this will be great for me to go back and remove the list of director error logs!

The main culprit was the ping driver. Also Houselogix cloud driver. Removing those made system noticeably faster. I then removed all non-critical or those not updated in a while (intrinsic’s Apple TV driver, annex4 hunter Douglas driver, Shairbridge) and that improved it some more. Logs didn’t show any of these drivers being an issue. But Andrew saved the day! Whatever voodoo magic they use at Chowmain and Oz fixed it. Weird thing is these drivers have been in system for years and the issue only cropped up last week. So not sure if the update of something else made these leak. Only driver I recently updated was DS2. 🤷‍♂️

53 minutes ago, pkkaiser said:

The main culprit was the ping driver. Also Houselogix cloud driver. Removing those made system noticeably faster. I then removed all non-critical or those not updated in a while (intrinsic’s Apple TV driver, annex4 hunter Douglas driver, Shairbridge) and that improved it some more. Logs didn’t show any of these drivers being an issue. But Andrew saved the day! Whatever voodoo magic they use at Chowmain and Oz fixed it. Weird thing is these drivers have been in system for years and the issue only cropped up last week. So not sure if the update of something else made these leak. Only driver I recently updated was DS2. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah Ping is a killer driver for sure! I also remove Houselogix drivers a long time ago, cloud drivers removed years before, what is really surprising me the Shairbridge one, so if you don't have Apple ecosystem you may not use the driver but removing it improves performance?  So are you running OS3.3 on HC800?

2 hours ago, pkkaiser said:

EA5 w 3.3…I just deleted everything I didn’t really use. So shairbridge went

Okay make sense, but your performance boost is not related to removing sharebridge rather the Ping driver!  Am pretty sure if u put sharibridge back nothing will happen!

Sorry for taking so long to respond.

But the main 2 candidates were ping, and houselogix auto update (which I was surprised to see still operating). I also advised to remove reboot (because, it was likely to break in the future anyway). Problem is, there are drivers from a few different companies on there too

They deleted a few other drivers after apparently too (shairbridge probably didn't need to be removed, and I'm guessing it's heavy lifting would be done outside of Lua anyway?)

I could 100% detect an issue using our diagnostic tools, with very long and regular delays.

After the changes, over a long time period, I only saw 1 or two delays, and they were much shorter (and it could have been because drivers were still getting deleted).

I may consider adding a warning about ping in our drivers (as I've come across a few systems still using it, including during support calls with installers). Every time ping runs, all drivers pause for a few seconds, and it makes our drivers seem buggy (in the logs, it will also appear other drivers are the cause)

We actually went a bit over board with detection, problem solving and prevention of possible issues when I had a performance issue with Shelly a few months ago (which was fixed anyway, but another low level performance update will be released soon)

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 5:18 AM, pkkaiser said:

How do I remove those drivers?  I’m not overly technically adept so step by step would be appreciated. Thank you 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.