C4 Forums | Control4

Need a new WIFI system for my home.

C4 BEAR

2 minutes ago, zaphod said:

How does moving from 200 up/down to 1Gig change your experience on an iPhone, other than looking better on a Speedtest?  Watching Netflix uses 15 Mbps for 4K video.

I had 5 MBit down, 1.5 MBit up until a couple of years ago.

We could stream (with occasional delays) 2x Netflix streams, no problem.

I wouldn't go back, but it was surprising how much you could do on such a small pipe.

RyanE

On 8/21/2022 at 1:58 PM, Control4Savant said:

He doesn’t know what he’s taking about period.

That’s rich!!  Coming from the guy who said 70v sound systems sound like poop.  When did you start working in this business?  10 years ago?

Ive been in the business since token ring was the norm.  I’m positive you don’t know what you’re talking about.

4 hours ago, Andrew luecke said:

All research, white papers and information I found confirmed that the roaming mechanisms had nothing to do with a hardware controller. Hence why you'll need to explain why they're better, or provide some mechanisms which they use to better roam. 

I did hours of research, and the burden of proof is on you now...

Don't forget, 3 years ago, we had a similar debate in regards to broadcasts/multicasts being broken on unifi. Nobody wanted to provide links. Turned out that ultimately I discovered enough to determine, it was based on misconception.  People were confusing pimsd for normal broadcasting. Ultimately, c4 clarified the do not use network list.. 

I also can't find anything mandatory in the standard to be able to tell clients they must roam to a specific AP. They can just follow recommendations. All a hardware wifi controller could do is tell the ap to send a fake 802.11v report or disassociate the connection. But this would simply force more roaming and make it less reliable in a low density environment. 

Not on me to do anything, I have no skin in this game.  As you’ve stated, your not a wireless engineer.

1 hour ago, lippavisual said:

Not on me to do anything, I have no skin in this game.  As you’ve stated, your not a wireless engineer.

Guy with the most posts in the thread has no skin in the game.   You don't care at all that your peers (not me) have told you you're wrong.  Got it.

b8edcfd6dd79720249b61853c178e8dca5-surejan.2x.rhorizontal.w700.webp

14 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

I don't think so.  Link?

I really hate when people say "link". Why not just say I don't know and I'm too lazy to use google?

Just google the 802 specs. Controllers set up the initial sessions verification, but roaming specs are mostly between the AP and Client. When you hear that a controller is involved, for the most part it is the proprietary way vendors deal with sticky clients when roaming.